Hostway

Updated November 8, 2014
Updated November 8, 2014
2.9

Bob Boles

Moving in the right direction!

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hostway full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company is under new leadership, ownership and hiring new executives that believe in growing the company and sharing a common vision of being a leading company in the hosting space and a top employer. Under new leadership the company now values it's employees and understands that they are important assets. This past year with new CEO, Bob Boles, there has been more direction, transparency and employee recognition. Company also has a lot of flexibility, great work life balance, and excellent benefits plans.

Cons

As with any company undergoing change and growth, one con is that change takes time. It's a work in progress and can't happen overnight so expectations need to be realistic.

Continue recognizing your employees and communicating constantly. Share a common goal and move forward, don't look behind.

Challenge Yourself

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Hostway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are looking for a job in the IT/Hosting industry, this is a great place to be. Hostway is a a young IT/hosting company and is facing some growing pains, but, this is actually a positive for those looking for a challenging work environment with lots of opportunity to grow.

If you're looking for an easy job where you show up and go through the paces, then Hostway is not for you. If you're looking for a challenging environment that can be extremely rewarding in terms of job opportunities and pay, then this is a great place to be. You must own your own success, its not something that is handed to you by an employer.

Cons

- Growing pains a young IT/Hosting company will face.
    - More training needed on a regular basis
    - Issues with prior product sets
    - Further define company goals and objectives and share with all staff more frequently

- Empower your support and sales staffs on a daily basis
    - Find a niche in the hosting industry and expand on it. We cannot continue to be good at a lot of things and experts and none.

Building Success

Current Employee - Sales in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Hostway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

2014 has brought change, in processes, staff and leadership; With each change it has altered the culture, the future and each day it is making Hostway a place that I am excited to come into each morning.

Cons

More communication from the top down.

Ask everyone - do more employee focused discussions, get feedback.

Not the worst stepping stone

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Hostway full-time

Pros

A lot of people use it as a stepping stone to gain experience and work their way into better roles elsewhere, usually competitors. It's not the worst place to be in the meantime.

Cons

Compensation is completely arbitrary. It seems that the more incompetent you are, the better your salary is. The competent, intelligent people eventually get a clue and move on and the useless ones who are paid generously are the ones that stick around. Which explains pretty much everything you need to know about why this company is in such bad shape. Promotions and responsibilities are dolled out based on favoritism and if you're "in" you can keep your job even if you are terrible at it and provide zero results.

Wake up. Hire people who can perform the duties asked of them. If they can't, let them go. This is the only way to stop the downward spiral.

I wish there was a "Zero Star" to share my accurate feelings of Hostway.

I worked at Hostway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I can't think of one Pro.. sorry. These are the guys that make other hosting providers look good.

Cons

Most of the really good people come and go within a year or two. People that don't know any better or can't get a better job tend to stick around.

I left because I couldn't sell their "managed" solution with a straight face.

The "cloud" is a joke. It's Hyper-V. They talk about their Microsoft cloud like it's a good thing to have a Microsoft cloud. Their cloud is virtualization with a dashboard.. that's it.

The only deals that can be won are the companies that are shopping on price. IMHO if someone buys an old server in a poorly managed datacenter and doesn't get references.. they get what they deserve. I sold too many deals based on the relationship I built and got burned _every_ time.

Struggling and needs good people

I worked at Hostway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not a high stress job

Cons

lack of direction at executive levels

pick a strategy and stick with it

Good springboard

Former Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hostway full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hands on access across different parts of the business.

Cons

Going through a state of change. So need clearer career trajectories

A Decent stepping stone

Former Employee - NOC Tier I in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - NOC Tier I in Austin, TX

I worked at Hostway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Casual work environment, casual dress code, they provide free snacks and drinks in break rooms, you can learn a lot.

Cons

Very political. They seem to be okay with keeping the lower level (tier 1) NOC techs segregated from the higher (tier 2 & 3) level techs. Non-managerial employees seem to have some sort of control over whether people get promotions by way of bad mouthing others resulting in bad reputations that can't be overlooked no matter what. Poorly designed datacenter with subpar equipment.

Compensation is far lower than market rate, especially for a "Techie" city like Austin. I doubled my income in 6 months after leaving this black hole with the experience and knowledge I gained here.

Great Learning Ground- Nothing More

I worked at Hostway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ability to learn the ins and outs of hosting and take that somewhere to begin a career.
    Get paid to learn about a very lucrative industry.
    You can network with seasoned vets that will help you advance to other companies.
    Skilled vets that can help you learn

Cons

Very "boys club" type environment
    Horrible leadership
    No product or product launches in the foreseeable future
    Compensation is minimal. Unreasonable quotas and POOR marketing make it almost impossible to hit commission targets thus 1000% attainment is non existent
    Very low employee morale
    Product management tells the same stories at every meeting so it looks like something is being done but the end result is nothing.
    Cloud platform is a joke
    Marketing is failing at every level
    Lead flow is practically non existent
    30 sales reps and about 5 new leads a month

Let the few seasoned individuals you are lucky enough to have on the team (still) give some kind of direction to the company
    Do a complete marketing overhaul
    Do a sales leadership overhaul
    Stop using the "retail" side of the business to hide the total failure of the managed side
    Scare tactics on current employees do not work
    Sometimes it is better to cut your losses and regroup. After 3 plus years, it is safe to say what you have been doing is not working at all.
    Maybe update this profile to show that Bob Boles is now CEO and not Martis. I totally understand though, if I were the social media girl I would dread to see what is on this site as well.

Support Technician

Current Employee - Support Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Support Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at Hostway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers lots of learning experiences

Cons

company is unwilling to spend money on infrastructure or employee salaries

Hostway Photos