Hostway

www.hostway.com

Hostway Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

John Martis

I was there at the beginning and sounds like it never really changed

Software Developer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI was able to learn a little in many different areas of the business such as sales, marketing, support, procurement, data center build outs and system administration.

ConsLucas rules the place with an iron fist and never learned to delegate and when he does delegate he will often second guess the person who he delegated the task. Salary and benefits are slightly below average. You are expected to be at the company long hours though you will find that many who are there long hours aren't necessarily working

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease take into consideration what affect your decisions are going to have on employee morale when attempting to save a few dollars.

Really Think About It

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsThe people I work with are all hosting vetarans with great ideas, vision and industry know how.

I have made great friends with people in our Data Center locations that have shown an interest and ability to improve our company.

The workers are not the problem here. Leadership is.

ConsLack of Leadership from the very top down to the VP level.

Lack of Vision

Lack of Products

Not willing to innovate

Not willing to improve internal systems

Not willing to spend money to hire support techs

Not willing to spend funds in order to improve

No career paths

No reviews

No raises

Outrageous Sales Quotas - increse in quota every month - no track record for attainig quota previously yet increase quota regardless. Garanteed paid reduction every month. Management continuously trying to decrease cost of sales at the expense of the sale rep/team

Low morale

No real company culture - No fun to speak of - Lame attempts to spark culture and morale

Bottom line is nothing will change without a change in leadership. At the very top is a CEO that is so introverted and micro managing that the entire company comes to a halt when something is needed. He personally has to approve everything. Also CEO listed above is no longer CEO and is not the CEO being referred to.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have great people in the right places in the organization. Listen to them. Spend some money and implement some of their ideas. Accept the fact that you can't do everything yourself. Accept the fact that your employees are the keys to success. Crawl out of your cave and interact with your emplloyess. You might learn something and turn this sinking company around while there is still time.

Smart people terrible Management

Product Management (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLots of smart managers and tech teams.

ConsBad downstream communication. Salary is low for the industry and location in Chicago. Many years in the same position with not promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what the front line teams are telling you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hostway

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsGood vacation time and holiday pay for most standard holidays with a typical option to work on those days if you want to.

ConsPay is not commensurate with industry standards with other hosting companies and there are hardly ever any reviews or raises at all, no opportunity for advancement to speak of, no feeling of having a career path here. Management is disjointed and does not disseminate information effectively so that all areas of the business know what's going on in order to do their jobs properly. Typical the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing situation.. management never listens to advice from the people who deal with the daily operations they make unilateral decisions without informing themselves of the best practices that should be taken into consideration while planning. They move very slowly on new technology development.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to sustain long term growth it is critical to involve the people in making business decisions who will actually be supporting the products you intend to sell. That will make for happier, more satisfied customers as well as more satisfied employees.

Used to be fun, but with long hours and average pay. Change in management and a reorg made the environment dry.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsHeavy LAMP (linux, apache, mysql, python). Smart coworkers you can learn from. Interesting projects against cutting edge technologies and methodologies.

ConsYou were expected to put in pretty long hours because the timelines were so tight. There were a few performance bonuses, but for the most part compensation was average at best. Change in leadership left us unsure of the direction of the company and cause many people to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a technology company, software developers should be valued. Hold on to those that keep the train on the rails. Raise compensation levels.

Lucas Roh is the worst CEO in US History. You cannot trust Lucas. Lucas is a liar.

Cubicle Worker (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe free lunch on Wednesday.

ConsThe company is a scary place. Senior leadership does not know how to run a hosting company. Hostway has downsized three time in the last year and fired the wrong people. Some employees are untouchable which means the hard working smart ones generally go in Hostway firing. Hostway is in serious financial trouble and they have to fire people to help pay a loan that they took out to buy the Fort Lauderdale office. The company will have to fire more and more in 2009 to make the payments. My prediction is Hostway will file for bankrupcy in 2009 or have to be sold.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to run a business. You are going down fast and you will continue to unless you get a turnaround expert in the Lead Staff team. Who is lead staff? lol. Nobody knows.

Hostway needs to take a good look around and see what they have lost and try to fix it.

Support (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIn the begining Hostway gave me the opportunity to learn and grow - they seemed to have faith in their staff and everyone was like family

ConsManagement became unresponsive to employee needs - would not compensate people for how they performed but who they knew - disregarded people who worked hard and faithfully for them - They moved valueable departments to Florida where incompetance was rampant.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally take a look at who is working for you and recognize your talent - Treat people fairly and with respect - Lucas needs to not trust management alone because they are not truthfull to him and he needs ot reach out to the people who are grinding away trying to make a success instead of showing them the door to try and make a buck. Look close because the change to Florida cost a lot more money, and customers, than it saved him.

Good place to learn if you a willing to put up with under compensation and are very self-guided.

Systems Developer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsChallenging scaling issues due to management's unwillingness to spend money.

ConsEmployees treated very unfairly and under compensated.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in smart people, not warm bodies.

Learn a lot, but get out after getting a bit of experience

Software Developer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYou can learn a lot about open source technologies, linux, web hosting, and the internet.

They had some interesting development practices when I started. You could automatically sign up for a new development database and it would be provisioned for you. They had a framework that could analyze a mysql db and write data access code automatically, etc. I'm not sure if that stuff is still around tho.

ConsThey only paid employees once a month, at the end of the month. It got monotonous, and I felt I spent a lot of time integrating other people's open source work into hostway's collective - I would have rather gotten a chance to code more. Also, they wanted to roll out a new platform but set ridiculous arbitrary internal deadlines to meet it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with more respect. Listen to them, everyone I met there was competent and cared about their job.

Nice Company to Work with

Software Developer (Current Employee) Mumbai (India)

ProsGreat work Environment, Flexible timings and lots of benefits. Good Culture. Team outing every months. Movies. Good Cafeteria.

ConsNothing as such. Similar kind of work. After certain period not much of learning happends.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing as such.

Worked for Hostway? Contribute to the Community!