Hostway

Updated November 8, 2014
Updated November 8, 2014
2.9

Bob Boles

Used to be fun, but with long hours and average pay. Change in management and a reorg made the environment dry.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hostway

Pros

Heavy LAMP (linux, apache, mysql, python). Smart coworkers you can learn from. Interesting projects against cutting edge technologies and methodologies.

Cons

You were expected to put in pretty long hours because the timelines were so tight. There were a few performance bonuses, but for the most part compensation was average at best. Change in leadership left us unsure of the direction of the company and cause many people to leave.

As a technology company, software developers should be valued. Hold on to those that keep the train on the rails. Raise compensation levels.

Lucas Roh is the worst CEO in US History. You cannot trust Lucas. Lucas is a liar.

Current Employee - Cubicle Worker in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Cubicle Worker in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hostway

Pros

The free lunch on Wednesday.

Cons

The company is a scary place. Senior leadership does not know how to run a hosting company. Hostway has downsized three time in the last year and fired the wrong people. Some employees are untouchable which means the hard working smart ones generally go in Hostway firing. Hostway is in serious financial trouble and they have to fire people to help pay a loan that they took out to buy the Fort Lauderdale office. The company will have to fire more and more in 2009 to make the payments. My prediction is Hostway will file for bankrupcy in 2009 or have to be sold.

Learn how to run a business. You are going down fast and you will continue to unless you get a turnaround expert in the Lead Staff team. Who is lead staff? lol. Nobody knows.

Hostway needs to take a good look around and see what they have lost and try to fix it.

Former Employee - Support in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Support in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hostway

Pros

In the begining Hostway gave me the opportunity to learn and grow - they seemed to have faith in their staff and everyone was like family

Cons

Management became unresponsive to employee needs - would not compensate people for how they performed but who they knew - disregarded people who worked hard and faithfully for them - They moved valueable departments to Florida where incompetance was rampant.

Really take a look at who is working for you and recognize your talent - Treat people fairly and with respect - Lucas needs to not trust management alone because they are not truthfull to him and he needs ot reach out to the people who are grinding away trying to make a success instead of showing them the door to try and make a buck. Look close because the change to Florida cost a lot more money, and customers, than it saved him.

Good place to learn if you a willing to put up with under compensation and are very self-guided.

Former Employee - Systems Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Systems Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hostway

Pros

Challenging scaling issues due to management's unwillingness to spend money.

Cons

Employees treated very unfairly and under compensated.

Invest in smart people, not warm bodies.

Learn a lot, but get out after getting a bit of experience

Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hostway

Pros

You can learn a lot about open source technologies, linux, web hosting, and the internet.

They had some interesting development practices when I started. You could automatically sign up for a new development database and it would be provisioned for you. They had a framework that could analyze a mysql db and write data access code automatically, etc. I'm not sure if that stuff is still around tho.

Cons

They only paid employees once a month, at the end of the month. It got monotonous, and I felt I spent a lot of time integrating other people's open source work into hostway's collective - I would have rather gotten a chance to code more. Also, they wanted to roll out a new platform but set ridiculous arbitrary internal deadlines to meet it.

Treat your employees with more respect. Listen to them, everyone I met there was competent and cared about their job.

Hosway- fun work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)

I worked at Hostway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Well i started my career with this company. One of things that refreshing is the fun and informal work environment. Although they're not exactly among paymasters in the industry but the scope of growth is vast. All in all a new organization which is fun and at the same time offers good learning

Cons

There is stress on few projects than others. This also somewhat limits your scope of development based on your project. There is a lot to learn from but you would have to be a self starter and there won't be extensive training that happens here. You learn what you wanna learn if i have to put it.

Please do look towards procesifying the initial training as well as product briefing. Also there should be more flexibility for horizontal shift

Good stepping stone, but hard to keep progressing

I worked at Hostway full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Depending on where you are located, good/friendly co-workers. You can learn as much as you would like to.

Cons

Bad employee morale throughout the company. Upper management doesn't have a cohesive, unified vision. A lot of inter-departmental politics. Caliber of sales & marketing staff is extremely low.

Caring & listening to employees will go a long way. Be results-oriented. Best to not keep VPs around that continue to miss their objectives on a regular basis.

Strictly routine job

Former Employee - Technical Support in Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Mumbai (India)

I worked at Hostway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work culture is casual and friendly. Decent work-life balance. Occasional free food/snacks/movies/outings to keep the employees entertained. Less stress as once you get into the routine set here, there are hardly any challenges to throw you off your game.

Cons

Lack of vision and strategy. Lack of effective training. Lack of growth opportunities. Salary doesn't compare to other organisations in the same domain/field. The in-house tools need major bug fixing.

Envision a plan and work towards it. Stop changing it at the very first roadblock/obstacle.

Nice Company to Work with

Current Employee - Software Developer in Mumbai (India)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Mumbai (India)

I have been working at Hostway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work Environment, Flexible timings and lots of benefits. Good Culture. Team outing every months. Movies. Good Cafeteria.

Cons

Nothing as such. Similar kind of work. After certain period not much of learning happends.

Nothing as such.

Dysfunctional Upper Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Hostway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I believe that there are several employees within the organization that are extremely talented, resourceful and "out-of-the box" thinkers, who could make positive changes within the organization. Unfortunately, many of these employee's we either "muzzled" or they decided to leave the organization for another career opportunity.

Cons

However, upper management is resistant to allowing their employees to become empowered in their roles in order for them to create change and/or to allow their voices to be heard. Many of these reviews that other employee's left on this forum are definitely accurate in how this organization is managed currently. In terms of salaries, Hostway is not inline with the industry standards, they are extremely cheap and they do not value their employee's contributions towards the business objectives. No incentives - bonuses do not exist, nor they provide suitable salary increases during performance evaluations.

I think it would be pointless for me to provide them with any advice, since they always do their own thing...

Hostway Photos