Hot Dog on a Stick

Dan Smith

Loved it

San Jose, CA

I have been working at Hot Dog on a Stick full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat company! Lot's of incentives and room to move up

ConsThe uniforms aren't the greatest!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing!

Such a great experience

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Hot Dog on a Stick full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHDOS Enterprises' corporate team is compiled of a small group of hard-working individuals who have a passion for their company and its employees. There are growth opportunities for anyone willing to work hard, and working the storefront is a great experience; not only to prepare the best lemonade and food, but to build on your leadership and customer service skills.

ConsManagers carry a heavier task load than ever before, with less direct support due to recent organizational changes within the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are wonderful; when the time is right to expand business structure, district managers would significantly aid in store and regional communication and efficiency. Motivation would improve with clearer role clarity as well as one on one training with managers.

We were a family:) It was my first job ever and it was my best job ever. We always had fun and people enjoyed us.

El Paso, TX

I have been working at Hot Dog on a Stick part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat bosses, great coworkers both unique in their own quirky ways. Holiday dinners and gatherings when we could. great opportunities. great benefits that not only please your stomach but your wallet as well:)

ConsI've never had one bad thing to say about it:)

Advice to Senior Managementkeep on doing what youre doing:)

Post high school and college I'm still telling people this was my favorite job!

Manager (Former Employee)
Provo, UT

I worked at Hot Dog on a Stick full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI was lucky enough to have a district manager who lived and breathed the founder's (Dave) mission and vision. Great company culture. The employees are what it's all about. I met my lifelong best friends working at this company. Great growth opportunities. I managed my own location for my whole college career. You will gain skills here that will carry on into future career opportunities. Hands down the best job you could have while going to school.

ConsYou will work alone. Decline in mall traffic has hit this company hard over the last 5 years and the first things to go were compensation benefits, bonuses, etc. Strict labor control means you work alone, even if it's busy enough to have multiple people working. It's a physical job! You are on your feet for hours, making lemonade every 1.5 hours, batter every hour, cleaning, cooking, being nice to customers, etc. It's amazing how the company is able to keep a low turnover despite these things.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think management has done a good job over the last 5 years of cutting unnecessary positions that were grandfathered down from Dave. My only advice would be to find a solution for employees to not feel like they are taking the hits of the poor sales by cutting all of the benefits and pay.

Assistant manager

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Hot Dog on a Stick part-time for more than a year

ProsTwo free food items every time you come in.

ConsThe uniforms are horrible!You can't move up in this company (in Vegas) unless the manager from the Galleria Mall like you..One of the company's values is teamwork.. there's obviously no teamwork when you work by yourself for every shift especially when it's super busy.. They expect you to take 10 minute breaks (even if you work an 8 hour shift) which is definitely illegal..Management is a mess, they'll write you up for the dumbest things then they'll do the exact same thing a week later.. The people in this company give you so much work to do in so little time and expect you to clock out and keep working.. Everybody in higher management is getting laid off and stores are closing and they just filed for bankruptcy so who knows how long the company is going to be around for..

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees more and actually treat people like human beings!

Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hot Dog on a Stick

ProsGreat job if you're in school; they're very flexible with your class schedule. Easy to move up. You get to have two items from the menu for free every shift you work, which sounds awesome, but it gets old really quick.

ConsYou work alone 99% of the time while doing the work of 3 people and only get paid slightly above minimum unless you're a manager. You rarely get you 10 minute break, and are not allowed to accept tips even when customers offer them. They've been laying off people in corporate and closing stores left and right, so who knows how long they'll be around?

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees more if you're going to have 1 person do the work of 3, let people accept tips for their hard work, allow two people to work together at all times, working alone is depressing.

Great!

Customer Service (Former Employee)
Sacramento, CA

I worked at Hot Dog on a Stick part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat experience. I was able to be loud and also interact with customers. The assistant/manager were all very nice and considerate.

ConsCons...? Maybe when they check employees' performances without telling the employee,but that's usually not too bad if you're doing what you're supposed to.

Best job experience so far

First Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hot Dog on a Stick part-time for more than 3 years

ProsEasy to move up within the company. Hot Dog On a Stick is a great place to learn how to best manage your time. It teaches you valuable skills that will help you get into the real world. There is also the Marketing Coordinator for the store, which earns you a $.50 raise as soon as you start the position. It is also a very flexible job that allows you to switch shifts pretty easily as long as you ask management before you switch. We aren't just coworkers, we have crew outings and we treat each other like a family, knowing about everyones school schedules and making sure everyone is doing well in their endeavors.

ConsHard labor for little pay, although it is above minimum wage to start. It gets pretty busy at times so while you are new it might be a little bit stressful. Once you become fully trained it is much easier to handle the lunch and dinner rushes.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! :)

One worker at all times, no teamwork, everyone is stressed out!

Daly City, CA

I have been working at Hot Dog on a Stick part-time for less than a year

ProsEasy to work up to management.

ConsYou work alone ALWAYS... unless your store makes a lot of money. This causes unnecessary stress on the worker that's on shift, because you can't predict or control how busy it will be! Imagine making lemonade, batter, cooking, and being on register all at the same time! Don't suffer like I did.

You won't have time to take 10 minute breaks, which is ILLEGAL! I'm currently speaking with legal advisors about how throughout my time with this company I was never able to take these rest periods!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your workers higher than normal. Pay them a reasonable amount, because in all reality, one person does the job of up to 2 or 3 people. They should be paid accordingly, not 50 cents above minimum wage!

Too much physical labor for not enough pay

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Hot Dog on a Stick part-time for less than a year

ProsGREAT opportunity to move up within the company, and fast. I've found management to always be approachable and exciting to work with, however, this s a company where majority of applicants and employees are all women. There were no men working at my store, and the girls were catty and extremely clique-ish. Scheduling is flexible, it's always easy to have shifts covered, and hours weren't bad. There is also an extensive training period, which is nice.

ConsAmounts of physical labor that I was not able to handle under the extremely strict time constraints (mainly with opening and closing). They expect so much of you in such shorts amount of time, and it has to be done to perfection, or you will likely be lectured. There's is really just so much more physical labor than what they pay you for. Management writes you up for any and every little thing. I have had many other jobs, and none of them have been like that. It was so ridiculous to deal with, and everyone around me was getting "suspended" for complete crap.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome huge problems are being let slide, while little minuscule things that go wrong are being picked at.

Worked for Hot Dog on a Stick? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hot Dog on a Stick reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hot Dog on a Stick CEO Dan Smith. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Hot Dog on a Stick employees.