Hot Topic

Hot Topic Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Hot Topic CEO & Director Lisa Harper

Lisa Harper

Pros
  • Good employee discount, Somewhat flexible with schedule changes, dress code(in 43 reviews)

• Freedom to be yourself, no dress code, decent music (at times)(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management really has no clue what it is like day to day in an actual store(in 20 reviews)

• Lack of hours for sales associates but NO time off for management(in 15 reviews)

No voice in the company

Part Time Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Buford, GA

ProsWorking with unique individuals and customers.

ConsNo voice, no way to talk to management, no way to move up in company.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your workers, we are there because we like the company and would like to help but if you give us no voice then there is no way we can help.

Friendly

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Aiea, HI

ProsFriendly employees great managers, awesome customers!

ConsMinimum wage in Hawaii sucks, enough said.

Advice to Senior Managementask for better pay for employees!

Great co-workers, horrible compensation

Cashier (Former Employee) Annapolis, MD

ProsAtmosphere was consistently friendly and customer-motivated; everyone was pleasant to work with and professional. Store discounts for employees were amazing.

ConsThere was sometimes a shortage of staff available, and the pay rate was almost criminal.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow your great employees how much you appreciate them by paying them a more livable rate.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dynamic, exciting, challenging environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) City of Industry, CA

ProsPeople are, for the most part, competent and good natured. The products can be fun. From a practical standpoint, it's entertaining to help mass market individualism. There is a lot of effort put toward building solid managers at the company.

ConsManagement has little grasp of new technology (at least with regard to music). Several years ago they went all-in on a CD sales plan that failed pretty spectacularly (not seeing that CDs aren't the predominant music medium these days). The corporate side of the company is very cliquish.

Poor Management

Part Time Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsCo-workers were mostly friendly and felt like a close family.

ConsPay is well under normal compensation for the work asked to preform.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou ask too much of your employees for the rate you pay them, especially the management staff.

Slowly losing passion

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsRelaxed dress code, great music and fashion environment. Co-workers are very genuine and passionate about the product. The customers are the best. They are colorful and really enjoy conversation about music or pop culture related items. Im not judged by my choice of lifestyle. You are welcomed no matter how you live your life or who you live it with. If you have a great DM, and can take a few hits to your self esteem, there could be room to grow.

ConsThe workload that is expected to be done with minimal payroll has gotten a little out of hand. I fully understand that the ultimate goal is to make money, and to do so you must cut corners. However, with one part coverage for most of a workday, is going a bit too far. More money is lost due to shoplifters, while the mgr on duty gets stuck behind the register, than saved due to cutting payroll or lowering the quality of the product. With more associates on the sales floor, we could actually build sales with our customers and manage stock, markdowns, floor changes, recovery, operations, housekeeping, and loss prevention. We are tasked to the bone and usually leads to working off the clock to finish any tasking or operational items. We are not super human, however some of us really try to be. The feeling of accomplishment has been taken away and replaced with stress, worry, and doubt.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease get it together. We all believe that this could still be a great company, and it really stinks when we lose great people to other retailers. Most of us are so passionate about this company that we'll work for less pay than we could get anywhere else. Once voted a top company to work for, now has lost it's core value, the people. Take care of them, and they'll take care of you. I truly want to believe in Hot Topic, but its becoming more difficult to do so as the corporate noose gets tighter.

Fun Job, Great People mostly

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsFun workplace. It is busy, but most fellow employees will be great to work with.

ConsTeenagers, but what can you expect. Some co-workers will be pains, but just do your job and you will do well!

Fun place to work but losing touch with what Hot Topic is really about

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsDiscount is the #1 Pro. 40% off everything except electronics and music.
    Dress code.

ConsLack of Hours being # 1!
    Expecting stores to run off of one coverage while having to do shipment, markdowns, store layout changes,clean and provide 100% customers service.
    Hours during holiday not much different, and forget about going over,you'll get your ass chewed out.
    Oh, you didn't get that one item completed in a timely matter because you were so busy that you had your day in by 3pm,that's ok. We'll write you up anyway.

Pay. Just because we get a discount doesn't mean we should be under-payed as well.

Not much room to move up. Once you get to store management level, you are stuck there. They don't work with you to move up, if you actually have a DM who cares that you want to move forward, you're lucky.
    Forget about anything below management level. Unless they move forward, you're stuck as well unless an opening happens. At that point, most are concerned with hiring outside rather than internally promoting,which is a shame.

Upper management really has no clue what it is like day to day in an actual store.

Some DM's are hardly ever heard from,seen or keep you in the loop on what is going on in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off your high horse and listen to your store managers. Running a company without actually understanding what it is to work in an actual store is ridiculous.
    Take note in people who are actually being hired. Some of your upper management should not work for this company. Way too much shadiness going on.
    Get back to your roots, actually care about your customers and your employees. What was once an amazing company to work for has turned into something completely sour.

Love the employees and managers

Hot Topic Sales Associate (Former Employee) Lombard, IL

ProsFun people to work with and 40% discount is nice

ConsNot a very good pay and the customers are horrible and I would only recommend this job to someone just coming out of high school and there is nowhere to advance in the company. It's a dead end job in my opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways remember to treat your employees fairly and try to limit the gossip.

Great work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFellow employees always a joy and laid back, manager often bought pizza for employees, can choose the music they have listed to play in store.

Consnot enough hours, scene kids

Advice to Senior ManagementThe whole employee all underage girls thing because you think they cute is weird

Worked for Hot Topic? Contribute to the Community!