Hot Topic

Hot Topic Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Hot Topic CEO & Director Lisa Harper

Lisa Harper

Pros:
  • "Good employee discount, Somewhat flexible with schedule changes, dress code"
    in 40 reviews
  • "Freedom to be yourself, no dress code, decent music (at times)"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management really has no clue what it is like day to day in an actual store"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Lack of hours for sales associates but NO time off for management"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Assistant manager

I have been working at Hot Topic

ProsHours and Pay were great!!

ConsStore changes and new management

A creative place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hot Topic

ProsShowing off your true personality and beng n a judgement free environment. The musc beng played s really awesome as well.

ConsThere wasn't very many cons n working at Hot Topic, this was a very enjoyable place to work all over.

Home away from home

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Sterling, VA

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time for less than a year

ProsI work with a great team. My coworkers and management are really friendly and engaging. The dress code is amazing and the music is awesome! I love working at Hot Topic. My manager is one of my best friends.

ConsThe pay is not good. I do not mind so much, but I could really use more spending money.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the employees better.

It used to be a fun job....

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hot Topic full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI have meet people from all over the world and all walks of life. I have great medical benefits and 401k.

ConsWhile reading these reviews, I have noticed a common trend. I started reading them because I wondered if I was the only one that felt this way. We get very little payroll hours. It has been cut back to the point that I am full time however, I rarely work a full forty hour week. My workload has not changed. It is not uncommon to work off the clock in order to complete task.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore payroll, please. I love my job. I enjoy what I do but I can't keep doing it without a full forty hour paycheck. My bills just won't allow it.

The atmosphere is fun and the employees make it even better.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hot Topic

ProsYou get to dress how you want and listen to great music all day.

ConsThere are few opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees more money and help the employees who show good work ethic to move up.

Not enough pay for the stress.

Part Time Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hot Topic

ProsThe people I work with are truly what keep me going. They really are a great team. I also jave some really wonderful regulars that come in as well. Being an associate is also not too bad.

ConsI (along with many many others) all have the same feeling: the pay and appreciation is simply just not up to par...especially when you take in consideration how hard they drive us (a lot of times, it feels like we are being driven like a work horse; our task loads are so heavy). As an associate, the job is great; once you're in management the whole game changes...which is of course, to be expected, but it feels like we are supposed to catch on and know stuff immediately. My district manager has made me, and other managers before me cry. The company itself is trying to save itself, as well as pad its pockets, and that gets passed onto the employees. Most of the time my store is being run by only myself, and two other members of management, because they do not want to give us the payroll hours (which they keep cutting further back anyway) We are totally underappreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate those who run your stores more. You've been on here before, but you assumed that the appreciation needed to start in the stores: while that is true, you need to do the same as well. We do our absolute best to make sure things runs as smoothly as possible, and look as good as possible.

Friendly

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Aiea, HI

I worked at Hot Topic part-time for less than a year

ProsFriendly employees great managers, awesome customers!

ConsMinimum wage in Hawaii sucks, enough said.

Advice to Senior Managementask for better pay for employees!

Great co-workers, horrible compensation

Cashier (Former Employee)
Annapolis, MD

I worked at Hot Topic part-time for less than a year

ProsAtmosphere was consistently friendly and customer-motivated; everyone was pleasant to work with and professional. Store discounts for employees were amazing.

ConsThere was sometimes a shortage of staff available, and the pay rate was almost criminal.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow your great employees how much you appreciate them by paying them a more livable rate.

Mostly great place to work, but not a great long term employer

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
Tukwila, WA

I worked at Hot Topic part-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou can have lots of fun with how your clothes, hair, and make-up. Some stores have in-store concerts and band signings. Great benefits even for part-time management. The company does listen to it's employees in all regards.

ConsThe company has taken away many of the qualities that made each store a unique experience. Advancement can be very hard as management positions are either hired from outside the company or transferred from other locations. Due to internet sales, many non mall stores have or will close in the near future.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees as well as your customers in regards to merchandise. If they don't like where HT is going, then pass that on to HQ. Be honest about how product are be received or else you are doomed to keep getting stuck with dead products.

Fast paced, dynamic and open environment

I have been working at Hot Topic full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWear what you want, not too strict with hours, friendly work environment

ConsPay isn't that good, easy to get sick in open environment (no cubicles)

Advice to Senior ManagementShow your employees you care and give appropriate increases

Worked for Hot Topic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hot Topic reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hot Topic CEO Lisa Harper. All 226 reviews posted anonymously by Hot Topic employees.