Hot Topic Reviews

Reset
3.4
Hot Topic CEO & Director Lisa Harper
Lisa Harper

Pros
  • Dress code allowed to be very creative (in 52 reviews)

• Freedom to be yourself, no dress code, decent music (at times) (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Very terrible to work in with the wrong upper management (in 24 reviews)

• With the terrible hrs that we are given each week it is not possible to retain reliable sales associates, let alone good ones (in 19 reviews)

1. great place to work

I have been working at Hot Topic full-time

Pros

Great discount. Fun environment where you can be yourself

Cons

erratic schedule at times. Can be stressful

Not the best or the worst job

I have been working at Hot Topic

Pros

Employee discount, good music to listen to all day, usually a fun work environment, getting to meet different kinds of people. You really get to be yourself and can enjoy the job that way.

Cons

Low pay for how long one is at a job, not enough payroll to make it worth it for associates, not enough recognition for people who do hard work. Leaving employees alone for extended periods of time due to lack of payroll.

Advice to Management

Make sure you remember that your associates and management in the stores matter too. Higher raises and more payroll, rather than trying to buy out crap companies to seem hip and cool.

3. great place for like-minded people

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time

Pros

You can dress however you want, the people you meet day to day are some of the coolest and best, its a great environment to work in

Cons

The pay is pretty terrible unless you're full time, and management very rarely get opportunities to get more hours.

Advice to Management

If you're part time, have another source of income if you expect to be able to live. Whether that is a second part time job, or some sort of side work, its pretty necessary.

5. Sales Associate

I have been working at Hot Topic

Pros

Its an easy job and a chill work envirioment.

Cons

Tedious. Minimum wage pay. 25 cent raise after one year.

6. Great at first until new upper management rolled in

I worked at Hot Topic part-time

Pros

Great music, Freedom to wear what you want, down to earth store staff, amazing discount, fun customers

Cons

Very low pay, Upper Management (DM and higher) is horrible, Very discriminate toward disabilities, not much room to grow, hours are terrible for associates not in management.

Advice to Management

Stop discriminating against disabilities. I was told by HR directly via a phone call that I can not receive reasonable accommodations for my disability (i.e sitting down when there are no customers). You would think HR would realize how highly illegal that is. Also please learn to pay your employees better. I was a Key for over a year making almost a dollar less an hour as I do as an associate at my current job.

7. sales assocaite

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

very flexible with work attire, fairly easy work load, always kept busy so the day passes quickly

Cons

very poor communication with staff expectations and scheduling... they would never tell you when youre scheduled
    i was never told to come into work and was given a no call no show

Advice to Management

work on communication work on communication work on communication work on communication

8. No Future.

I worked at Hot Topic part-time

Pros

You get to listen to music.

Cons

There's no future there. Pay is super low.

Advice to Management

Give raises, provide growth opportunities for those who are worth it.

9. Fun Job, Low Pay

I worked at Hot Topic

Pros

Fun and active working environment

Cons

minimum wage and they'd be paying you less if they could get away with it
    seriously competitive hours
    can't live off this job

Advice to Management

Maybe consider giving your employees a livable wage

10. Not the best job. Not the best work place.

Current Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Johnson City, TN
    Current Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Johnson City, TN

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I use to be terribly excited about working for hot topic. The employee discount is the only think that has kept me there thus far. It's really nice! Other than that there are a few nice associates.

Cons

Management is shady and rude. Especially if you have a second job.
    3-3.5 hours a shift and working one day a week is insane and not worth the gas.
    Most of the people who have been there for awhile choose favorites among new people and shun the others.
    Regardless of sales goals, if you're a management favorite you'll get hours.
    Having 7 part time employees working 1 day a week (more of you suck up) is ridiculous when you only work 3 hours to begin with.
    They will cut your hours when they're slow and not tell you until an hour before you go in. In my case I am normally already heading that way by that point, so wasted gas.
    They don't train you really at all. They just throw you into situations then scold you if you don't do it correctly.
    Since it's a commission type based job (for hours), ridiculous never having hours to try to reach those goals.
    Concerns are typically overlooked by management if they pertain to other employees being rude or not training you correctly.
    Management there is very jealous. If you do better they try to get you out of the store and into another.
    Things are constantly changing and the people who only work 1 day a week are apparently not privy to the new information.

Advice to Management

Raise pay. Work more with employees, not just management. Don't assume you know how the store is. Actually acknowledge employees even if they're part time. Schedule better consistently. Don't have such high expectations for perfection. Markets change daily. I understand this is a retail store but it's not really a store where commission based hours are necessary. Relax on the employees and I bet sales will improve. Goals are fine but when you run sales that give you $15 off $30 don't expect your employees to reach a $30 a sale marker (that's after the $15 is taken off).

11. Sales associate

I worked at Hot Topic

Pros

I like to wear their clothes and I fit in there and it was a cool place to work. I like the alternative style they have

Cons

I barely got any hours and the store was too busy and I couldn't keep up with how loud it was or how packed it was at a time

Advice to Management

You are doing a great job besides hiring people in for management from other stores instead of promoting people within the store and helping them grow

RSS Feed </> Embed