Hot Topic

Hot Topic Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Hot Topic CEO & Director Lisa Harper

Lisa Harper

Pros
  • Good employee discount, Somewhat flexible with schedule changes, dress code (in 45 reviews)

• Freedom to be yourself, no dress code, decent music (at times) (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management really has no clue what it is like day to day in an actual store (in 20 reviews)

• Lack of hours for sales associates (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing places to work

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Murfreesboro, TN

ProsNo pressure, don't have to push credit cards. fast pace but relaxed

ConsLack of hours for sales associates

As fun as you make it.

Store Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsNo dress code, great music, fun atmosphere. Made lifelong friends here.

ConsThere are great customers and very very uneducated awful customers...but that's at any job.

Advice to Senior ManagementCalm down.

Wonderful Experience!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe team environment. Everyone working for the same goal across the entire company! Supportive HQ Team, Regional Directors, and District Managers. This company is filled with strong mentors that will help move you on your path!

ConsTypical retail cons. Holidays are tough to spend time with family.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful!

Hot Topic Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThis is a great company to work for. Great benefits, low turnover, super relaxed management, like working with a bunch of your friends.

ConsNot great pay. But it's really hard to find a retail job that is this enjoyable which is why I'm sure many of us stick around.

Advice to Senior ManagementRid yourselves of three hour shifts- waste of time if you have any sort of commute. More opportunities for raises.

Have fun working retail! (really)

Part Time Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsDedicated employees and management make for a great team to work with. "Open door policy" helps communication with all positions. Most considerate higher-ups I have ever worked with have been at Hot Topic. You can get excited about cool products, awesome customers (usually), great place to start out working with.

ConsLow start pay for management promotions unless hired outside company.

Advice to Senior ManagementA few instances where favoritism came into play, but work ethic almost always will guarantee your success within the company!

I love my job!

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThose who have had unpleasant experiences working for Hot Topic are most likely ones searching for a decent paycheck with minimal effort. Sorry, but that's not how it works. This is a great company to work for, honestly.

Never gets too stressful.

Dress code is very casual.

Bonus program is great (Bonus dollar amounts increase based on how much money your store makes. So again, if you are not a hard worker you will not be able to utilize this program).

Great communication with upper management.

Paid vacation time & holidays.

Lots of contests where stores compete for prizes. This always keeps things fun and helps keep the team motivated.

Great discounts for employees.

Great promotions/offers for customers.

Amazing customer service focus! So few companies value and appreciate their customers.

ConsHeavy shipment can be overwhelming, but it's not unbearable.

Large amounts of kids and mall rats hanging out in the store.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue hiring all-star candidates that will work hard and continue to help the company grow and be more successful.

A creative place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsShowing off your true personality and beng n a judgement free environment. The musc beng played s really awesome as well.

ConsThere wasn't very many cons n working at Hot Topic, this was a very enjoyable place to work all over.

Satisfied. :)

Key Holder (Current Employee) Terre Haute, IN

ProsI absolutely adore workin' for good ol' HT. It is--by far--the best retail establishment I've ever worked for. I'm not exaggerating either. My ideas are never seen as dumb, I'm encouraged to be creative and I get to rock out to music while doing it. The dress code is amazing. I get to be myself 24/7. Thank gods I'm not a hoochy 24/7 or else there'd be issues, of course. I also really just enjoy the culture. It may be that I'm lucky and got hired into a really awesome team, but everyone that I work with contributes and it feels like a second home to me.

ConsThere really aren't cons. I wished that I got more hours. As a PT Key Holder, I get about 12-16 hours a week. It isn't bad, but I definitely wish that they'd give us some more hours! :(

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is solid. Keep doing what you're doing. I love working for you guys!

very good

Prosclothes are pretty good for me

Conspeople are kind of stuck up and bratty

Advice to Senior Managementstay on top

nice

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosnot bad its a good company

Consit works for me :-)

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Worked for Hot Topic? Contribute to the Community!