Hot Topic

Hot Topic Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Hot Topic CEO & Director Lisa Harper

Lisa Harper

Pros:
  • "Good employee discount, Somewhat flexible with schedule changes, dress code"
    in 42 reviews
  • "Freedom to be yourself, no dress code, decent music (at times)"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management really has no clue what it is like day to day in an actual store"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Lack of hours for sales associates but NO time off for management"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Terrible place to work

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsNo dress code
    40% discount
    Choice of music

ConsVery few hours
    Minimum wage
    No chances to move up

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring so many people when there are already not enough hours to go around!

ok place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNot very many pros other than the pay scale is a little above average

ConsPoor management, Room to grow but once you get as far as you can, its almost impossible to move forward.

No voice in the company

Part Time Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Buford, GA

ProsWorking with unique individuals and customers.

ConsNo voice, no way to talk to management, no way to move up in company.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your workers, we are there because we like the company and would like to help but if you give us no voice then there is no way we can help.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No prospects of growth, low pay, very unprofessional, business plan with no aim

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    City of Industry, CA

Proslaid back dress code.
    some times you may meet a decent person. But, the odds for that are the same as waiting at a bus stop.

Conswe run more than 20 promos at once. Most customers are asking if we are closing.
    You can never get sick at this place. Because if you are sick there is no coverage.
    Management can't take time off and sales associates can't get hours.
    You work every single holiday, you can't ask for it off.
    "feel free to leave, managers are dime a dozen" attitude.
    this ship is sinking

Advice to Senior ManagementSelling was the best idea, jump the ship while you can.

Dissappointing. Don't work here.

(Former Employee)

ProsSome of the people working there are pretty cool, the customers are also pretty fun to interact with.

ConsIt was almost like I didn't have a job since I only worked one day a week. Management refused to give me more hours. Management and most of staff will not make you feel accepted or part of the crew. Will not give notice about last minute schedule changes. Employees treated poorly in general. Management could care less about creating a good work environment or happy employees. I felt like I was in high school, not a professional place of business.

Don't Work here unless you want to be living a miserable life

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsNone. It would seem like there would be however getting a 40% discount does not come close to being a pro when every single aspect of this company is horrifying.

ConsManager's and Staff treated extremely poorly. DM's and the rest of the upper management could care less about people's quality of life, or frankly running a successful business. You need happy employees to have happy customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementSack almost all your upper management team and get a new CEO. Perhaps you can save this company if you actually put some effort in.

Do NOT Work here!!!

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Vancouver, WA

ProsNone, even the discount isn't worth it because the quality of the clothing is crap. Things fall apart and customers return worthless merchandise everyday

ConsAbusive and hostile upper management. Absurd expectations with no training or guidance and very low pay. Inappropriate communications between DM and Team Memebers. After working in a hostile work environment where my career was deliberately being sabotaged by the DM, HR would not help me so I walked out. I'm a Store Manager and I just walked out....

Advice to Senior ManagementRedefine what it means to be decent and try and grasp some kind of understanding of labor laws before someone sues you.

Don't buy into it. It isn't worth it.

Key Holder (Former Employee)
    Daytona Beach, FL

Pros40% off discount
    Get to dress however you want
    Selling and connecting with people through music and rock culture

ConsThey hook people in who are tattooed, pierced, and alternative (who can't find a job anywhere else) and butter them up with their employee discount and the overall environment, but no one ever gets decent and steady hours except for the Store Manager and Assistant Manager. The pay is insulting for the work load you're expected to do. They start you off at not a penny more than minimum wage for sales associates, regardless of previous retail experience. I was promoted to Key Holder (starting manager) after being hired as a sales associate and was responsible for opening the store, making the daily planner sheet with tons of calculated sales facts (ADT, UPT, WTD, and MTD, along with individual broken down sales goals for each associate working that day according to our overall sales goal) managing the sales floor completely ALONE from open until 1pm until the closing manager got there, processing shipment, marketing/merchandising, stock, stock. conference calls (sometimes very important Store Manager calls), so much tedious manual labor it killed me, and making change runs and bank deposits (literally taking a sack of thousands of dollars outside the store, through the mall and the parking lot, and driving it to the bank and back) and after 3 years of being with the company, I WAS ONLY MAKING $8.56!!! This was including 3 annual raises and the promotion to management. That's only $1.32 above minimum wage at the time! And during the months that the company offered bonuses for exceeding sales goals, I always got the least amount of money because I was at the bottom of the manager totem pole (even though I had an excellent sales record and generated a LOT of money for the store). I think it was somewhere along the likes of Store Manager: $150, Assistant: $100, Part Time Assistant: $50, and Key Holder $20. And they always averaged it it with my paycheck, so I got taxed on it anyway. Don't let the "cool kid" vibe fool you. It's a terrible company to work for!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your crap together. Stop relying on the fact that "everybody wants a job at Hot Topic because it's cool." There's a reason why the company turn over is so ridiculously high. Some people actually need this job to live and pay bills. You shouldn't strive to have a staff full of teenagers looking to boost their egos and gain pocket change, and not even think twice about being wronged. Playing on young, naive employees is sick and twisted. This is a multimillion dollar company. You can definitely afford to treat your employees better. People work for money, not 40% off poorly made clothes and crappy accessories.

Super at the start, then pretty awful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsMusic, tattoos, interesting people, lots of fun stuff, could go to shows and get paid back for ticket

Conspoor pay, poor upper management, low class customers, really trashy, like need a shower and lessons on hygiene. Never any hours,

Advice to Senior Managementused to be cool, just not the same at all

A company in decline

ProsDecent degree of autonomy with the right DM, Never have to worry about working OT, Operating hours better than big box retailers.

ConsVery limited development opportunities, will try to low ball you on every single wage offer they can, leadership tends to be focused only on negative aspects, planning is nonexistent, most systems work slowly or not at all, communication is horrendous.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter planning and execution coupled with better communication would make this company a much better place to work.

Worked for Hot Topic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hot Topic reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hot Topic CEO Lisa Harper. All 241 reviews posted anonymously by Hot Topic employees.