Hot Topic Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
3.3

Hot Topic CEO & Director Lisa Harper
Lisa Harper

Pros
  • Good employee discount, Somewhat flexible with schedule changes, dress code (in 45 reviews)

• Freedom to be yourself, no dress code, decent music (at times) (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management really has no clue what it is like day to day in an actual store (in 20 reviews)

• Lack of hours for sales associates (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Pretty Good, Fun, Challenging, Prestigious.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Springdale, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Springdale, OH

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great for looking for a second job to fill in the gaps or give you a bit of extra money at the end of the month. Great experience for breaking out of your shell and talking to people. Great start for customer service, sales, and retail experience. You meet all kinds of different, great people. Always room for growth and climbing the ladder at a location or district. Very dedicated to the culture and sales. A lot of fun. Great discounts.

Cons

Management is very lacking. District management as well. Not a lot of accountability being taken for numbers/sales curves. Not a lot of hours, nor a livable income unless you are in a keyholder/management position.

Train your managers to be more competent and accountable for their actions. Hire less people, distribute hours more sensibly.

ridiculous hours, pay, and treatment

Former Employee - Cashier  in  San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at Hot Topic part-time for less than a year

Pros

40% discount I never used

Cons

the loud music blasting all day
    (especially annoying when trying to talk to customers)
    the employees/manager
    horrible hours (I wasn't the only one who experienced this)
    horrible pay (I got paid a total of $220 for 4 weeks of work)
    It's really tiring and emotionally exhausting because customers are rude

be more fair with the hours
    turn the music down

Got the job

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Was very easy when doing the group interview. Talked about my personal hobbies, my favorite bands, and my strengths and weaknesses.

Cons

There isnt really bad anything about because everyone is really nice and chill. You get to wear hatever you want. and also you get great discounts on the tee shirts and everything in the store

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun for a while, gets old fast.

Current Employee - Part-Time Assistant Manager  in  Medford, OR
    Current Employee - Part-Time Assistant Manager in Medford, OR

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun and unique environment, generally a good team to work with as well. Store manager at the medford location is wonderful to work for.

Cons

No sales incentives, but all the pressure. Get sick of the kids that come in every day pretty quickly. Poor marketing and buyers. Very little room to move up.

Throw them out. You lost the culture, not sure what you can do about it now.

Flexible scheduling, an awesome dress code, fun environment, but no job is 100% perfect.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Hot Topic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked my way up from a seasonal sales associate all the way to store manager within a 2 1/2 year time frame. It is a very fun company to work for, the job is engaging, you get a dress code of dreams, and if you're ready to work hard and are smart, you will have a very bright future with the company. I was offered a higher volume store, but chose to leave the company for an office environment.

Cons

The pay is lacking for how much stress you have to put up with as a store manager (I am in a rural part of the country and was making about 30k/year). Rural stores and districts are expected to perform and have the same support that urban stores/districts have, but due to logistics this is simply just not the case. Due to this some members of corporate often jump to conclusions about things that are simply not true, and they would know of within 15 minutes if they took time to talk to their store managers and district managers about the daily life/time line of changes in a store over a short amount of time.

Pay your store managers more and offer more support to the more rural districts/stores.

Retail Mentality

Former Employee - IT Representative  in  City of Industry, CA
    Former Employee - IT Representative in City of Industry, CA

I worked at Hot Topic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If a retail environment is what you are looking for then HT is great.

Cons

office culture, lack of promotion, management

Fun work, but very confusing management.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Hot Topic part-time for less than a year

Pros

dress code free, generous discount, listen to music while you work, easy work

Cons

pay isn't amazing, very limited hours, very high expectations, such as practically making you nag customers till they buy something or get so annoyed they leave

Tell employees what you're looking for in order for them to advance, as well as let them now how they're doing. Seasonal employees may be selected for promotion to a regular sales associate, but have no idea how to do so

Good for a season, terrible as a job.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate  in  Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Hot Topic part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Almost no rules for dress code, you can be as different as you want to be.
    - Good starter retail experience
    - Generally no unpleasant people come in
    - You are allowed to trial and error this job

Cons

- Your based on how much you buddy up with the management and employees
    - The music is pretty bad (opinion)
    - Management definitely picks favorites
    - Upper Management doesn't respect anyone
    - Pay is beyond terrible
    - Hours are beyond terrible
    - It's hard to receive directions, seems like something amiss all the time
    - Forced to push too many sales/questions upon customers
    - Very Lazy part-time/keyholders, I often found myself alone when the Assistant Manager and female Keyholder worked, I would rarely see them.
    - Lies about their employment promises, I was told it was performance based, not buddy to buddy based.
    - Manager tries directing the blame away from himself.
    - Selling overpriced merchandise
    - Selling greatly overpriced fake denim jeans
    - Coworkers who do not respect clean work ethic
    - You can move up to Store Manager if you wait a long time, but you will not move up at all. You'll remain part time here pretty much.

This is a company, this is a work place, hold your workers to higher standards, and respect those with clean work ethic. Also, remember, if someone is taking everything they can to get up, quit ignoring them and trying to cover your favorites. People need to be held to standards, not to idiocracy. I respect the store manager, but everyone else needs to tell me how to get their job, because they are undeserving in my opinion.

Great store bad pay

Former Employee - Sales Associate and Key Holder  in  Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate and Key Holder in Nashua, NH

I worked at Hot Topic part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awesome working environment. Great coworkers that I still stay in touch with. Laid back environment, except busy seasons. In store management was usually great and approachable. Great product, very versatile.

Cons

Some management is terrible. I have about 4/5 managers in my 3 years there and I had 1 who almost forced me to quit because of the way she was twisting situations and favoring other employees, when a different SM approached the district manager he brushed it under the rug and transferred me back to my original store instead of investigating.
    Pay is VERY lacking. After 3 years I was making only $0.25 over minimum wage. Even as a key holder I made less then I was making at a different store as a PT sales associate. After I left it seems like management took a steep turn downhill and I have not heard a single good thing about it.

Remember that it's the customer who matters, and that the "little people" aka retail workers won't be able to truly help the customers if they feel handcuffed by corporate.

Very fun and casual listening to great music all day but low pay

Former Employee - Hot Topic Keyholder
    Former Employee - Hot Topic Keyholder

I worked at Hot Topic part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You can express yourself and wear whatever you want, listen to great music, paid for your concert tickets if you filled out a fashion report, great energetic and fun co workers. Worked there for 7 years and loved it until the end.

Cons

Very low pay that is impossible to live off of, right before I left shifts were cut down to 3 hour shifts which was ridiculous. As pay got lower and hours shorter, expectations grew from upper management that was impossible to do everything they wanted while trying to retain great customer service and maintain the store. Every now ans then you would get a bad customer/parent, but I worked in a bible belt town so it was expected.

3 hour shifts is a waste of anyone's time, go back to 5 hour shifts and prioritize on what you expect from employees and the store

Worked for Hot Topic? Contribute to the Community!