Hot Topic

Updated November 23, 2014
3.2

Hot Topic CEO & Director Lisa Harper
Lisa Harper

Pros
  • Almost no rules for dress code, you can be as different as you want to be (in 52 reviews)

• Freedom to be yourself, no dress code, decent music (at times) (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management really has no clue what it is like day to day in an actual store (in 24 reviews)

• Lack of hours for sales associates (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

I was never so upset at a retail job.

Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Rosemont, IL
    Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Rosemont, IL

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can wear whatever you like (but you're kinda out of place when you don't wear one of "their" tshirts).
    Occasionally there is good music but it matters who happens to be there.
    I didn't have to hide my tattoos, piercings or hair color.

Cons

Oh God where do I even start.... I guess I can just share my story. So I applied to a Hot Topic a long time ago out of complete desperation. I never really shopped in there at all nor liked how trendy they got for a supposed alternative store. But you know, why not try something out? I had worked retail for about over... four years, two of those years as an assistant manager (not at Hot Topic). So I thought... hell yeah I'll apply as an assistant manager again. They called about a good almost six months later, said I can start as a normal employee until something opens up there or another store and I can be promoted. Fine, fine-- I wanted the money. School books and all. Little did I know accepting that position was my biggest mistake.
    I have worked in a few places all of them so friendly and willing to train. This Hot Topic was cold. I trained one day, whereas I was sent on the dumbest mission in the world which was secret shopping on other stores in the mall. I had to see what THEY did wrong and right then come back just to be told that that was my training. A really cheesy gimmick. I didn't work for a good two weeks after that odd day.
    I was bombed with questions when I came back about conversion, YTD/ TTM, ect. Honestly... I was never told the stores goals offhand so I couldn't answer the questions after all it was after not working for two weeks. I was scolded that time and told to stay in the front and greet. I greeted loudly and to everyone. I was pressured to greet louder, be behind customers back. Shove things in their face and sales, I've done this before but this extreme.
    Of course I wasn't scheduled for another week, and when I came back, is when everything went haywire. I was asked different questions. When I did not answer them the manager got associates to answer them for me, and always remarked, "How come he knows it and yet you don't?" Probably because he has been there for months. Of course I felt worse when she judged my character as a former manager because I did not know the answers, she clarified that I was a temp and that the assistant manager thought I was "not doing anything" last time I was there. Insane-- since everything in the store was fixed and cleaned and I handled all of the customers that night while the assistant manager was playing with the register and talking about her personal life. I moved on though, saying nothing and greeted.
    It was busy, most Hot Topics are. A few customers came to me for deeper assistance which I did help them with. One of which wanted a price check, I tried to flag someone down, not knowing the price check system on toys-- besides they were beyond my greeting zone.
    "WHAT ARE YOU DOING. YOU'RE A GREETER STAY IN THE FRONT," the manager snatched the item away. I finally stood up for myself and replied, "The customer just wanted to know the price. Just that. He's right there." She said she handle it and told me to go back. She never handled it. The mother got upset and left. I was so upset at the audacity of a manger blowing not just me off, but a kid and his mother. I was never so upset in my life at work, I had to take a moment and regain myself. As I did the manager stared at me and talked to an employee, so I looked away and continued.
    It gets better. I once again needed a price check. I did not care if I was going to get yelled at because--- the customer as always was an amazing individual. I waited at the counter for it to clear up, as I stood there, item in hand. She laughed at me and said, "Why are you lurking around the store. That is so creepy." I should have left then. But I stuck it out through the rest of the night. Ignoring the fact that the manager was staring at me and whispering to my coworker. Entertaining and helping the customers, really helped me make it. I fixed the store when it closed. The manager tried to direct me but I was far from done at that point in really listening to her. I'm a greeter, not a folder, not allowed on the register, not a keyholder nor the assistant manager I was suppose to be. I was a creepy greeter.

Overall they were immature, horrible pay rate (100 bucks every two weeks at most), horrible pressure in work conditions, if you did not look Hot Topic like (even if you're alternative) you were out, and no chance for growth without taking a lot of nonsense I would guess. From the looks of it she had her team, and i was just the spare when vacation arose for the others. Favoritism in retail happens, but you can't help but hate it.

I bet some stores might be better... I guess. But this story goes to the people who end up like me, so they won't feel like crap if they have the urge to quit. Just do it.

Raising the wage won't help if you give employers one day every two weeks to work, let alone when most of them are probably over qualified for the positions handed to them. Fish out all of the judgement, I thought this was a place of uniqueness and culture. And over all stop, I repeat, stop reprimanding employees to be such hounds at the door when a customer walks in. When I was younger Hot Topic was full of music and rock. It was laid back and alive at the same time just by the atmosphere. What happened? Who made it this horrible generic machine of favoritism and judgement. You're not unique anymore (even as a pop culture store), it's just turned into another place that sells over priced shirts and pants.

ridiculous hours, pay, and treatment

Former Employee - Cashier in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (less than an year)

Pros

40% discount I never used

Cons

the loud music blasting all day
    (especially annoying when trying to talk to customers)
    the employees/manager
    horrible hours (I wasn't the only one who experienced this)
    horrible pay (I got paid a total of $220 for 4 weeks of work)
    It's really tiring and emotionally exhausting because customers are rude

be more fair with the hours
    turn the music down

A company invested in it's employees

Former Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager

I worked at Hot Topic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, incentives to go to college, additional awards, great environment, and bonuses.

Cons

Salary is low in most markets.

Increase salary for members of management who are highly qualified.

Good for a season, terrible as a job.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Almost no rules for dress code, you can be as different as you want to be.
    - Good starter retail experience
    - Generally no unpleasant people come in
    - You are allowed to trial and error this job

Cons

- Your based on how much you buddy up with the management and employees
    - The music is pretty bad (opinion)
    - Management definitely picks favorites
    - Upper Management doesn't respect anyone
    - Pay is beyond terrible
    - Hours are beyond terrible
    - It's hard to receive directions, seems like something amiss all the time
    - Forced to push too many sales/questions upon customers
    - Very Lazy part-time/keyholders, I often found myself alone when the Assistant Manager and female Keyholder worked, I would rarely see them.
    - Lies about their employment promises, I was told it was performance based, not buddy to buddy based.
    - Manager tries directing the blame away from himself.
    - Selling overpriced merchandise
    - Selling greatly overpriced fake denim jeans
    - Coworkers who do not respect clean work ethic
    - You can move up to Store Manager if you wait a long time, but you will not move up at all. You'll remain part time here pretty much.

This is a company, this is a work place, hold your workers to higher standards, and respect those with clean work ethic. Also, remember, if someone is taking everything they can to get up, quit ignoring them and trying to cover your favorites. People need to be held to standards, not to idiocracy. I respect the store manager, but everyone else needs to tell me how to get their job, because they are undeserving in my opinion.

Great store bad pay

Former Employee - Sales Associate and Key Holder in Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate and Key Holder in Nashua, NH

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome working environment. Great coworkers that I still stay in touch with. Laid back environment, except busy seasons. In store management was usually great and approachable. Great product, very versatile.

Cons

Some management is terrible. I have about 4/5 managers in my 3 years there and I had 1 who almost forced me to quit because of the way she was twisting situations and favoring other employees, when a different SM approached the district manager he brushed it under the rug and transferred me back to my original store instead of investigating.
    Pay is VERY lacking. After 3 years I was making only $0.25 over minimum wage. Even as a key holder I made less then I was making at a different store as a PT sales associate. After I left it seems like management took a steep turn downhill and I have not heard a single good thing about it.

Remember that it's the customer who matters, and that the "little people" aka retail workers won't be able to truly help the customers if they feel handcuffed by corporate.

Some good, some bad

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Got along with most of my coworkers. Dress code allowed to be very creative.

Cons

Company sided with two horrible managers instead of protecting those who had been there between 5-10 years. Yes, YEARS. Employees were not given support when complaints about scheduling arose.

Be more democratic with helping employees who have been there quite a bit longer than the newer employees. Protect those who truly know what they're doing, as opposed to new people who really don't know what they're doing.

Key Holder

Former Employee - Key Holder
    Former Employee - Key Holder

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No dress code, low pace store, provides experience for better management jobs outside of retail, motivation to get bachelors degree

Cons

DM'S are oblivious to actual volume of store, poor communication from management to team, boring, high demanding customers.

be more confrontational, create a positive work enviroment.

Shady Manager

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The job was pretty easy. The company is pretty laid back.

Cons

Manager was very unprofessional.

Be upfront with your employees. Don't be shady.

Learned a lot since I started young and worked my way into store management, stiffed towards the end though

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Hot Topic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In the beginning the pay was great, freedom to be and express yourself, laid back environment, fairly easy work

Cons

Company stopped giving raises, took away payroll and positions that were necessary to run a smoothly functioning operation, added more work onto less people. There were many nights when I worked all alone. Sales goals were very unrealistic at times, as well as a huge load of manual tasks when there were a lot of customers to be helped and cleaning to be done. I was diagnosed with a disease and DM offered VERY LITTLE support to help while I was hospitalized and then ultimately fired me after a few months saying I "wasn't doing my job". Merchandise got cheaper and less appealing over the years too. My DM had her favorites and sadly I wasn't one of them so unless I was getting critiqued or written up I rarely saw her.

Treat your employees like real people and have some compassion. District managers should be more hands-on and help ALL stores, not just their favorites.

As fun as you make it.

Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Hot Topic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No dress code, great music, fun atmosphere. Made lifelong friends here.

Cons

There are great customers and very very uneducated awful customers...but that's at any job.

Calm down.