Hot Topic

www.hottopic.com
Employer Engaged

Upper tier management can be hit or miss depending on how your district is performing

Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great store teams, great benefits, usually a very fun job, and the customers can be amazing as well. For my first few years I loved it.

Cons

Management positions can be too much about the numbers, even when your mall has no traffic. Very terrible to work in with the wrong upper management.

Chill out, you are not paying your employees enough for them to worry about your numbers as much as you want them to. Get a new computer system.

Okay experience

Former Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I met a lot of great co-workers, you have freedom of style, listen to great music while you work, can be laid back at times.

Cons

I was a manager and you literally get written up for EVERYTHING. Managers were sleeping with each other, would come in high or hungover, and I would have to pick up the workload. I would then get written up for petty things, alongside my other co-workers...like missing one customer greeting. Everyone steps all over each other to move up, although they do offer decent pay. Corporate doesn't listen to a word you say, which is not good CSR.

LISTEN to your staff. They have great ideas. As a former manager, I had a store manager who kept threatening me that I had to come back to work or I would get fired...I had a stomach virus for 3 days...with a note...and strep. That was my first time every calling out. Threats get you nowhere.

I loved HT & the culture, appreciated my job, the opportunity & the people...

Former Employee - No Title in City of Industry, CA
    Former Employee - No Title in City of Industry, CA

I worked at Hot Topic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This was an opportunity I had waited for since graduating from college & when it finally happened I was grateful. The people for the most part are amazing, the diversity, opportunity to learn across many departments is welcomed & the culture was the best part because individuality, being yourself & no executive structure made everyone feel like part of one big team.

Cons

I feel like people in management or "executive" positions base a lot of decisions on how well you are liked as a person by themselves or others in similar positions rather than the actual job being done. They want you to grow within the company but if personalities clash without disrespect because you're doing too well or you don't agree with their way of thinking it becomes an HR issue. If a fellow teammate doesn't like your opinions or thinks their way is better & you state otherwise it feels almost like being tattled on to the teacher then you are sent to the principals office for a write up based on someone's feelings getting hurt. Not everyone is going to see things the same way & that should be a good thing but it starts to feel like you have to kiss people's behinds & keep your mouth shut if you don't want the be the topic of discussion & rumors.

People who kiss up & talk the talk but don't walk the walk & use others as their scapegoats shouldn't be the people given any type of power to decide other people's dates within the company. I think loyalty is great & appreciate that it is valued but someone being liked shouldn't be more important then someone doing their job well. I know being a team is what it's all about but there are people in the company who spend a lot more time delegating tasks that as a manager they should be able to handle themselves but cannot should take the time to learn how to contribute or help out instead of pointing fingers when something is done incorrectly & they can't tell you why. They then take credit for the work that's done right & only remember your mistakes. I was not fired or let go I just learned to keep my mouth shut about the "favorites" because I didn't want to be written up for it again.

Love working for Hot Topic

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Hot Topic full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

FT benefits (our insurance is so cheap compared to everyone else I know, & it's great insurance).

Decent pay. Hourly employees.

Fun environment & great work family.

Wear what you like, be weird, have visible tattoos & piercings.

Listen to great music most of the day.

Mostly awesome customer base.

Cons

Hours!!! We get very little payroll to work with & that puts more stress on the whole team to be ultra superheroes every minute if the job.

At times, hq puts completely unrealistic goals on the store teams, again, with no payroll to accomplish these tasks.

You do get the really weird, totally out there customers that think because you're a little strange, they can tell you all their kinky weird stuff.

Pay is okay. Again, the benefits & the discount help keep employees around for the lower pay scale.

Spend more on payroll & give your teams better pay for all the hard work they do!

Miss the atmosphere

Former Employee - FT Assistant Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - FT Assistant Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Hot Topic full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, open dress code, great discounts, fun coworkers, listening and learning about music every day with customers and coworkers alike

Cons

Long floorset hours, not enough pay for amount of work asked, full time management does most of the work, short breaks

Remember the importance of work life balance.

Fun and Fast Paced Career

Current Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager

I have been working at Hot Topic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pro's working for Hot Topic are, the customers are amazing. People come into he store just because we have given them such good customer service. you create friend with customers and co-workers alike. Another pro is the company has great benefits for full-time employees.

Cons

The company has lost its focus on what its really about. having fun selling merchandise to our customers.

good

Former Employee - Store Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Hot Topic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

awesome place to work for in the retail community.

Cons

low hours for employees and a lot to accomplish.

develop and grow managers

Keyholder

Former Employee - Hot Topic Keyholder
    Former Employee - Hot Topic Keyholder

I worked at Hot Topic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great teams - most everyone wants to make work fun, while taking it seriously. The customers are so great, very accepting of everyone who works there, even if they don't have the same interests.

Cons

Sometimes have to start with a Seasonal status.

Great and challenging experience

Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Under the right management, they will help you achieve personal goals. Focused on internal promotion in positive circumstances. Grew within merchandising and always tried to keep up with trends. Benefits are flexible and are offered to the part time level as well.

Cons

Management positions are tight and sometimes a position will not be open for long periods of time. There are extremely high expectations on time management.

Better training guide for management. Give an incentive for people to actually get excited for special promotions.

Fun job. Low hours.

Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Las Cruces, NM
    Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Las Cruces, NM

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed my co-workers and customers.
    Loved the products.
    40% employee discount.
    Can easily pick up hours from employees.

Cons

Not a lot of hours available.
    Schedule is different every week.

I would like more structured schedules and better hours, but everything else was great. Definitely my favorite job.

Hot Topic Photos