HotChalk

Edward Fields

Leading the EdTech Revolution in Higher Ed

Current Employee - Partnerships  in  Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Partnerships in Campbell, CA

Pros

Even though this place seems to be hiring 10 people a day, it still has a small company vibe. The work environment is casual, entrepreneurial and idealistic all at the same time. Best things about HotChalk:
    - Smart, motivated co-workers
    - Inspiring leaders
    - Doing work that will change Higher Education forever
    - Strong work-life balance

Cons

Because it's a startup, there is some unpredictability and inconsistency here in terms of what everybody is focusing on from day to day. Also, the office is getting crowded as new people are hired.

Would be great to see tuition benefits.

Sad Company...

Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Pay and there are some great people who worked there.
    The CEO cares about the company and does things that are positive.

Cons

This company is full of lies and its funny that a previous review that was full of truth was removed after they caught wind and they were exposed.

Here is the truth...

The CEO.. Probably one of the most energetic people I have every met and been around. The bad part is he has people that are in his corner that he cant trust ranging from an investor who has too much involvement in the day to day operations of the company and is the reason why several people have banned together for a law suit. No one wants money we want to show them that there is a way to treat employees. If the CEO knew about the sexual advances and everything else that goes on with the company maybe he would be more inclined to do something to salvage the reputation of what could be a great company. If this is deleted I will be sure to post in several other notable forums in addition to release audio, text messages and other information from a member of management that modified a court document 5 times before submitting it. It is sad that the company has to settle out of court because of the carelessness of a VP who is married...

This is to the CEO... There are people in the organization who don't belong and have done some really unethical things. I have documentation of this... When you change a document 5 times and there are 5 different stories it will be found out. I am glad that I had someone there to send me the documents before their departure.What happens in the dark comes out in the light... If you want to talk you know how to contact me

Im never leaving this place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

This company has a very unique approach to education technology! It's exciting to be a part of something different and innovative. The overall mood of the work environment is very relaxed, everyone is responsible for themselves and there is not a lot of micro management. There's great team spirit here and always something fun happening on fridays. Pay is top tier and benefits are above average. Communication is better than most companies I've been to. the company is growing rapidly and there are new faces everyday!

Cons

Regardless of the weather outside, the AC blasts indiscriminately in our building.

I know we are a start up, but furnishing is very minimal. Can we get some file cabinets under our desks so we aren't cluttering our desks or using scrap boxes to store our papers? Thanks.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Misguided management

Former Employee - Advertising Sales Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Advertising Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good vertical of content/sites which creates great opportunities to approach advertisers

Cons

Lack of consistent vision that supports ad network model. Dishonesty from highest office on true motivations for ad network and revenue creation. Quick trigger on hiring and firing. No sense of team, no loyalty, duplicitous management.

Remove the CEO

Pros

-Ed tech industry is awesome
    -Good location
    -Smart co-workers

Cons

-I'd say communication across departments was definitely a huge one. Basically nonexistent.

-Meeting rooms. Not enough, would get annoying and unprofessional.

-For those of us who were not hired fresh out of college, did not feel as though the exec team really tried capitalized on our strengths from previous positions. Suggestions often met with opposition from those who had been there much longer.

-Never felt like the company ever tried to get to know me outside of the office. Team building and camaraderie go along way when you're all working for the same cause.

-Get a more systematic operations plan in place. Otherwise the place is just disorganized.

Overall, my experience at HotChalk was OK--nothing spectacular, but did help to pave the way for my current position in another company.

The good and the not-so-good.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

Pros

-It's a typical Silicon Valley company so it's been interesting to see the change over the past few years.
    -Good location
    -Unique business concept
    -Good benefits

Cons

-Open workplace. Very difficult to find a quiet space to do work.
    -No drawers or filing cabinets.
    -I've seen a lot of restructuring over the past 2 years.

-The company lacks any type of communication among departments. Opinions change daily which causes frustration and a lack of direction. Also leads to employees to eventually stop caring.

-There have been a lot of new faces since I started but I remember there being no onboarding process, not a real welcoming feeling, and it's still clear that there are clicks and politics among certain coworkers, almost bullyish towards others. I've also seen instances with management being borderline two-faced.

-Retention. Lots of amazing job opportunities are in the Bay Area and recruiters are on the prowl. Startups are great and have high energy but being with a more well established and organized company is tempting.

There are some brilliant minds who work for HotChalk. Management needs to recognize the skills in front of them and not be so firm on doing things the way they always have. Be open, be accessible, and don't allow colleagues to disempower one another. Evolution is part of any business model.

Work Hard, Play Hard Start-Up Environment. Needs Stronger Leadership.

Pros

Excellent team members. Fun and exciting start-up environment. Since the company is growing, there is a lot of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

The student-facing departments often get the short end of the stick. Not enough pay, long hours, often have to take work home. Sometimes difficulty working with new university partnerships across all departments. Managers are often chosen based on how long they've been with the company rather than their demonstrated experience. High turnover rate from people quitting or getting fired.

Choose leadership more wisely--don't go off of who has the most time put in, but who is the most qualified. Spend more time training, especially for student-facing departments. Stop delegating and get more involved in the day-to-day of what employees are experiencing.

not a bad place to work

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Campbell, CA

Pros

Salaries are good and the people are smart

Cons

Communication could be better, and sticking to a single strategy would help

Slow down on the changes

Not as Advertised

Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

I enjoyed working with my teammates.

Cons

Aggressive sales culture and rule by fear mentality. Enrollment Specialists are in constant fear of being put on Plan if you don't hit your numbers. It is all about the numbers at Hotchalk and they do not hide it once you are on the floor. You are expected to work 6 days a week. Training was non existent and you are not given the tools to succeed. The overall day to day culture is micro-managerial and generally negative and unpleasant.

Practice what you preach.

Growth Company = Career Growth

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Campbell, CA

Pros

The environment is fast-paced. You will never be bored. I am learning something new every day.

Cons

The company is growing rapidly. Adaptability is a must.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Worked for HotChalk? Contribute to the Community!