HotChalk Reviews

3.9

Edward Fields

Best Place to Work

I have been working at HotChalk full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fast paced environment, hyper growth culture, can-do attitude, team mates welcome new members to the family, work hard play hard culture, competitive salary and benefits

Cons

typical growing pains of a company growing at 100%+ year after year

Keep up the great culture

Great place to make a difference

Current Employee - Student Services  in  Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Student Services in Campbell, CA

I have been working at HotChalk full-time

Pros

Working elsewhere in Student Services you often feel like a tiny cog in a giant machine, but here you have a direct impact on the students, on the team, on the company, and on the schools you work with.

Cons

You have to be flexible and work well with change to enjoy working at HotChalk. Sometimes urgent projects are brought to the team with little notice, so you have to feel comfortable dropping everything and switching gears.

Great place for self-starters and to accelerate your professional development!

I have been working at HotChalk full-time for less than a year

Pros

The best thing about HotChalk is simply the company culture. Everyone wants to be here because they genuinely believe in making education accessible for everyone. Your co-workers are your biggest cheerleaders! They want you to succeed and value your opinion and input, and definitely are looking for innovative, out of the box thinkers so do not be afraid to speak up! Because the company is so new, there's a lot of opportunities for growth and being able to pioneer something great. You really can see the results of all your hard work and efforts, and how you can positively affect the lives of individuals from all over -- there is honestly no better feeling than that!

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but because it's a startup, the company is rapidly changing so one must easily adapt and be quick on their toes. Also everyone also seems to always eat lunch at their desk, wished there was some sort of break room? Open desks can make it hard to concentrate sometimes when there's a lot of people talking.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hotchalk is a growing company in an exciting industry with many opportunities for growth (individually & as a company).

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I have been working at HotChalk full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best reasons to work here are a supportive leadership team which is incredibly empowering, flexible schedule and start-up atmosphere (everyone is working really hard to achieve a common goal and there is room to try new things - no two days are the same).

Cons

A challenge to working here is that things move at such a rapid-pace and everyone is so busy that sometimes there is no time to strategize or do in-depth analysis to the extent that we'd like, but instead we just try new things and learn from them/make decisions on the spot with the information we have. Things are also rapidly changing so you must always be flexible and adaptable.

Best advice would be to put some procedures in place for new employees and to help us scale. There is still a lot of manual work to be done which could be automated and will help us scale.

HotChalk provided me with the knowledge and experience to better myself and my career path.

I have been working at HotChalk part-time for less than a year

Pros

Hotchalk is a company dedicated to connecting universities to students interested in online education. My time at this company has been rewarding and full of experience. Nothing was out of reach. I was able to meet and learn about various elite members of the staff. Great environment to enhance your education and career goals!

Cons

This company is growing so rapidly that there seems to be less and less room each week. We definitely need more (and bigger) meeting rooms.

Leading the EdTech Revolution in Higher Ed

Current Employee - Partnerships  in  Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Partnerships in Campbell, CA

I have been working at HotChalk full-time for less than a year

Pros

Even though this place seems to be hiring 10 people a day, it still has a small company vibe. The work environment is casual, entrepreneurial and idealistic all at the same time. Best things about HotChalk:
    - Smart, motivated co-workers
    - Inspiring leaders
    - Doing work that will change Higher Education forever
    - Strong work-life balance

Cons

Because it's a startup, there is some unpredictability and inconsistency here in terms of what everybody is focusing on from day to day. Also, the office is getting crowded as new people are hired.

Would be great to see tuition benefits.

Im never leaving this place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at HotChalk full-time for less than a year

Pros

This company has a very unique approach to education technology! It's exciting to be a part of something different and innovative. The overall mood of the work environment is very relaxed, everyone is responsible for themselves and there is not a lot of micro management. There's great team spirit here and always something fun happening on fridays. Pay is top tier and benefits are above average. Communication is better than most companies I've been to. the company is growing rapidly and there are new faces everyday!

Cons

Regardless of the weather outside, the AC blasts indiscriminately in our building.

I know we are a start up, but furnishing is very minimal. Can we get some file cabinets under our desks so we aren't cluttering our desks or using scrap boxes to store our papers? Thanks.

Misguided management

Former Employee - Advertising Sales Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Advertising Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at HotChalk full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good vertical of content/sites which creates great opportunities to approach advertisers

Cons

Lack of consistent vision that supports ad network model. Dishonesty from highest office on true motivations for ad network and revenue creation. Quick trigger on hiring and firing. No sense of team, no loyalty, duplicitous management.

Remove the CEO

I worked at HotChalk full-time

Pros

-Ed tech industry is awesome
    -Good location
    -Smart co-workers

Cons

-I'd say communication across departments was definitely a huge one. Basically nonexistent.

-Meeting rooms. Not enough, would get annoying and unprofessional.

-For those of us who were not hired fresh out of college, did not feel as though the exec team really tried capitalized on our strengths from previous positions. Suggestions often met with opposition from those who had been there much longer.

-Never felt like the company ever tried to get to know me outside of the office. Team building and camaraderie go along way when you're all working for the same cause.

-Get a more systematic operations plan in place. Otherwise the place is just disorganized.

Overall, my experience at HotChalk was OK--nothing spectacular, but did help to pave the way for my current position in another company.

The good and the not-so-good.

I have been working at HotChalk full-time

Pros

-It's a typical Silicon Valley company so it's been interesting to see the change over the past few years.
    -Good location
    -Unique business concept
    -Good benefits

Cons

-Open workplace. Very difficult to find a quiet space to do work.
    -No drawers or filing cabinets.
    -I've seen a lot of restructuring over the past 2 years.

-The company lacks any type of communication among departments. Opinions change daily which causes frustration and a lack of direction. Also leads to employees to eventually stop caring.

-There have been a lot of new faces since I started but I remember there being no onboarding process, not a real welcoming feeling, and it's still clear that there are clicks and politics among certain coworkers, almost bullyish towards others. I've also seen instances with management being borderline two-faced.

-Retention. Lots of amazing job opportunities are in the Bay Area and recruiters are on the prowl. Startups are great and have high energy but being with a more well established and organized company is tempting.

There are some brilliant minds who work for HotChalk. Management needs to recognize the skills in front of them and not be so firm on doing things the way they always have. Be open, be accessible, and don't allow colleagues to disempower one another. Evolution is part of any business model.

Worked for HotChalk? Contribute to the Community!