HotChalk

3.6

Edward Fields

Great Place to Work!

I worked at HotChalk full-time

Pros

Great benefits, flexible schedule and great team to work for and with.

Cons

Change of direction and goals made it chaotic at times.

Keep going!

Good company trying to find its stride

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I worked at HotChalk full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Pay seems to be above average
    - Company is growing and bringing on new universities
    - Solid student-first values
    - Fairly progressive culture
    - Nice location with good parking, plenty of lunch opportunities

Cons

- Direction is a bit schizophrenic
    - Tends to hire instead of promote from within
    - Hasn't really been able to replicate the success it had with its first customer yet

Preparing for IPO means old culture out the window

I have been working at HotChalk full-time

Pros

Not many, They claim growth but most openings pay less than admissions and don't allow you to work overtime or they are salary positions in which case your expected to work 50+ hours a week.

Cons

Negative culture. VERY performance based. if you don't hit numbers you're fired. They make you feel guilty about anything nice they do by reminding you we are behind on the insanely optimistic goals they have set.

Treat people like people, not enrollment machines

Going downhill fast...

Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at HotChalk full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They buy lunch for everybody during the week prior to a class starting for the admissions staff in phoenix and have a "beer 30" event a week after the start.

Cons

The beer and food mentioned above are held over your head if you are missing goals. Lower and middle management are moving more and more toward a boiler room mentality. We keep calling the same old leads and are reminded daily that are jobs are expendable if we don't hit our "plan". There is no company policy outlining how to increase your pay but they have several policies in writing about the progressive discipline they can threaten you with should you fall short of your goal. I have read a lot of positive reviews and from what I hear it used to be a great place to work. I have been here over a year and watched it descend into the same unethical practices originated by the for-profits in the industry. Things might be different in the different departments or in the California office but if you are working admissions in phoenix don't expect "the culture" here to wow you. They claim to have several growth opportunities and with the high turnover here that is mostly true, the catch is they all pay less than sitting on the phone all day so it is hard to move to a different position if you cannot afford the pay cut.

Get a clue. This game isn't that hard. Get enough quality leads and reward your people for being productive. When the SVP is asking the entry level employees how to be more productive it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Also, quit telling us we are barely making ends meat and we might not have jobs when the company is growing 2-300% per year and making millions in the process.

Great place for self-starters and to accelerate your professional development!

I have been working at HotChalk full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best thing about HotChalk is simply the company culture. Everyone wants to be here because they genuinely believe in making education accessible for everyone. Your co-workers are your biggest cheerleaders! They want you to succeed and value your opinion and input, and definitely are looking for innovative, out of the box thinkers so do not be afraid to speak up! Because the company is so new, there's a lot of opportunities for growth and being able to pioneer something great. You really can see the results of all your hard work and efforts, and how you can positively affect the lives of individuals from all over -- there is honestly no better feeling than that!

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but because it's a startup, the company is rapidly changing so one must easily adapt and be quick on their toes. Also everyone also seems to always eat lunch at their desk, wished there was some sort of break room? Open desks can make it hard to concentrate sometimes when there's a lot of people talking.

Hotchalk is a growing company in an exciting industry with many opportunities for growth (individually & as a company).

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I have been working at HotChalk full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best reasons to work here are a supportive leadership team which is incredibly empowering, flexible schedule and start-up atmosphere (everyone is working really hard to achieve a common goal and there is room to try new things - no two days are the same).

Cons

A challenge to working here is that things move at such a rapid-pace and everyone is so busy that sometimes there is no time to strategize or do in-depth analysis to the extent that we'd like, but instead we just try new things and learn from them/make decisions on the spot with the information we have. Things are also rapidly changing so you must always be flexible and adaptable.

Best advice would be to put some procedures in place for new employees and to help us scale. There is still a lot of manual work to be done which could be automated and will help us scale.

HotChalk provided me with the knowledge and experience to better myself and my career path.

I have been working at HotChalk part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hotchalk is a company dedicated to connecting universities to students interested in online education. My time at this company has been rewarding and full of experience. Nothing was out of reach. I was able to meet and learn about various elite members of the staff. Great environment to enhance your education and career goals!

Cons

This company is growing so rapidly that there seems to be less and less room each week. We definitely need more (and bigger) meeting rooms.

Best Place to Work

I have been working at HotChalk full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast paced environment, hyper growth culture, can-do attitude, team mates welcome new members to the family, work hard play hard culture, competitive salary and benefits

Cons

typical growing pains of a company growing at 100%+ year after year

Keep up the great culture

Leading the EdTech Revolution in Higher Ed

Current Employee - Partnerships in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Partnerships in Campbell, CA

I have been working at HotChalk full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Even though this place seems to be hiring 10 people a day, it still has a small company vibe. The work environment is casual, entrepreneurial and idealistic all at the same time. Best things about HotChalk:
    - Smart, motivated co-workers
    - Inspiring leaders
    - Doing work that will change Higher Education forever
    - Strong work-life balance

Cons

Because it's a startup, there is some unpredictability and inconsistency here in terms of what everybody is focusing on from day to day. Also, the office is getting crowded as new people are hired.

Would be great to see tuition benefits.

Im never leaving this place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at HotChalk full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company has a very unique approach to education technology! It's exciting to be a part of something different and innovative. The overall mood of the work environment is very relaxed, everyone is responsible for themselves and there is not a lot of micro management. There's great team spirit here and always something fun happening on fridays. Pay is top tier and benefits are above average. Communication is better than most companies I've been to. the company is growing rapidly and there are new faces everyday!

Cons

Regardless of the weather outside, the AC blasts indiscriminately in our building.

I know we are a start up, but furnishing is very minimal. Can we get some file cabinets under our desks so we aren't cluttering our desks or using scrap boxes to store our papers? Thanks.