Hotel Bel Air

Christopher Cowdray

I have in this hotel 3 years experince

Current Employee - Uniform In Charge in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Uniform In Charge in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hotel Bel Air full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have a good relationship with workers and excutives, I love the company and I love the work.

Cons

I was awarded Best Employee of the quarter of my best work.

Some time I used to advice to my manager to give advice how we may save the budget, to run the department, in case low business, and control the products, like (housekeeping)

Amazing property; Amazing Corporate Team

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Hotel Bel Air full-time (more than an year)

Pros

AMAZING benefits that are filly paid for by the hotel! Free staff meals, Uniform stays on-site so they wash and press it for you; great money.

Cons

The restaurant is putting out amazing cuisine by a famous Chef, but being poorly run on the day to day operational side.

Ask your support staff (i.e. bussers, food runners, baristas) questions about how they see things from an operational standpoint; don't just consult with your top servers.

Lack of executive support, no employee respect or safety concerns, overworked - yet not enough hours

Current Employee - SPA Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - SPA Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hotel Bel Air full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Beautiful hotel property, hard to not love the Bel-Air. Encouraging engage training, fantastic cafeteria and benefits such as acupuncture/medical/dental, perks such as 3 free nights at a property, reputation of what is the Bel-Air...really on the verge of what I think will be an amazing hotel for employees and guests. Customer-satisfaction and intimate setting to truly devote to customer-care. Awesome Christmas party and incentives, like cash awards for good service. Inspiring town-hall meetings and excellent verbage / mission statement from the hotel itself.

Cons

Lack of executive management support in individual departments. No loyalty to long-term staff members, recently let go of long-term employees. Turn over in management is high. 30 hrs is considered full-time, will turn a blind-eye if need be instead of hiring or prepping staff. Set up for failure due to lack of physical resources, not always a supervisor at reach & generally understaffed hours for a given shift. Difficult to achieve more than 34 - 38 hours. Does not like to provide overtime. Hotel itself is low on funds, owned by a prince. Serve many royals and wealthy 1%, often times treated like lower class. Not always willing to tip, depending on department. demanding guests and due to the wealth, protocol changes in respect to how much a guest is spending. Can be difficult to gauge proper boundaries and when it's ok to say "no" even when request endanger employee.

Simply listen to your staff and provide basic support, a little appreciation will spread miles and create a solid devotion to the Dorchester team.

Overworked, micromanaged, and not empowered to act in confidence.

Current Employee - Evening Server in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Evening Server in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hotel Bel Air full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, Wine Knowledge, Good Tips

Cons

Overworking
    Terrible Management in the Restaurant

Hotel Bel Air - Los Angeles

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hotel Bel Air (more than an year)

Pros

Great employee cafeteria!
    Beautiful property.
    Elegant Rooms.

Cons

Ignorant people running parts of this hotel.
    Low pay. This five star hotel going downhill.

Listen to employees. Be more open to creative ideas. Not everyone with a college degree has common sense or knows exceptional customer service.