Hotels.com Reviews

41 reviews filtered by
3.6
Hotels.com President Johan Svanstrom
Johan Svanstrom

1. Great money, and positive work environment.

Current Employee - Hotel Sales in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Hotel Sales in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Hotels.com

Pros

Honestly, I love my job. I look forward to going to work everyday. The pay is fantastic, and I have never missed commission. I make a lot more than minimum wage. For anyone who wants to work here, my advice to you is to not get into sales unless it is for you. Sales are stressful (I am sure this is a proven fact somehow.) I am honest to every costumer I encounter even if I think it will cost me a sale. I enjoy working for a company that backs me up on that. I am very proud to work for the company I work for. Hotels.com in Springfield, Mo is a fantastic company.

Cons

The only downside I have had so far is requesting off days and sometimes not getting them, but when you are given a month of paid vacation a year, can you really complain?

I would say to make supervisors have the same attendance rules as regular employees. It is hard to enforce someone to follow the rules if you are following them yourself.

2. Good company to work for with opportunities across the globe in all areas of the business

Current Employee - Analytics Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Analytics Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Global company with solid benefits and good work environment that encourages ideas and allows one to impact change.

Cons

Difficult to advance vertically from same role... opportunities are more available upon lateral movement to other roles.

Do your research before applying for a job here

I have been working at Hotels.com

Pros

Good lower management talent trying to do a good job. Used to be a good place to work a few years ago.

Cons

Don't let the salary allure you. Lower management gets punished if they don't fit in a certain mold. Doing your job well, going above and beyond is never enough. Politics is thick. You have vacation time but never time to take vacation because you have too much work. No work life balance. Forget about promotions on merit either.

5. Great Place to work

Current Employee - Travel Specialist in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Travel Specialist in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Travel benefits, a lot of vacation time. positive environment.

Cons

I don't have any cons about working here.

6. Stressful job but good pay and benefits.

Former Employee - Lodging Support Services Agent in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Lodging Support Services Agent in Springfield, MO

I worked at Hotels.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay with yearly increases, benefits, bonuses and time off. Great co-workers. There are some great supervisors that are willing to help you. Ask you fellow employees about the supervisors because you will be able to bid for new hours 1 or more times a year depending on new hires. You may not get the hours you want the first time but hang in there. You will bid again in a few months.

Cons

Time off must be requested in advance even if sick. Stressful job with daily pressures. Large turnover rate. Make sure you get a copy of all procedure changes and not just verbally. If you have kids and need to work days Mon-Friday, it won't happen at first but stick with the job. Time goes by fast and you will get the hours you need.

To only some supervisors and leads, be consistent and stop playing favorites. Be more invested in all employees under you.

Felt like a prison, and the phone were shackles

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you're unbelievably good at telesales and enjoy a fast-paced work environment in which "positive thinking" and a cheerleader mentality win the day, you'll love it here and you will probably make good money. For those invested in the job, there are opportunities to move upward.

Cons

If you're an average-to-good telesaleperson, you'll make slightly above minimum wage, like most people here do. Success depends largely on ruthlessness and an "us versus them" approach to customer service.

Whether or not you make commission depends on many different factors, a large percentage of which lie totally outside of your control. This has been especially true ever since they implemented a phone system that directs high-paying customers to high-selling salespeople, and low-paying customers to low-selling salespeople, resulting in a vicious circle.

People are marked off for taking bathroom breaks outside of pre-allocated break times, regardless of whether or not they have notes from a doctor.

There is a fake "cheerleader" atmosphere that many will find cloying and off-putting. The building itself can start to feel like a prison after a while, and you will be marked off for taking bathroom breaks outside of your pre-allocated break times, regardless of whether or not you have a doctor's note.

Hotels.com are particularly bad at working with the disabled, refusing to assist those who have trouble walking with parking issues. Additionally, it's like pulling teeth to get them to accommodate the disabled with the necessary seating arrangements. Those with hearing problems will have to pay out of their own pockets to acquire a special headset.

Finally, hotels.com are big fans of changing the terms of your contract without warning. Be very careful before agreeing to new terms.

Positive: Keep up the good work when it comes to motivating your employees and making them feel at ease. Most managers genuinely excel in this area. It is not because of, but rather in spite of your management efforts that many of us are dissatisfied with our job.

Negative: Don't lie so much to your employees. Many of us are a lot smarter than you think, and to us it's obvious when you're playing mind games.

8. Not the greatest pay, but a fun work environment and great people.

Former Employee - Editor/Writer
    Former Employee - Editor/Writer

I worked at Hotels.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People here are professional and friendly. It's a good working environment. They don't micromanage and allow you to work independently. Great way to get your foot in the door.

Cons

Technology equipment and software is pretty outdated. Definitely could use improvement in the innovation department.

Lacks direction, but the new ads are good!

I worked at Hotels.com

Pros

They are a leader in the business. It's fun to work in travel, generally.

Cons

Lots of favoritism, sucking up to managers, phony enthusiasm. They keep changing direction. Technology is not cutting edge. Also, with direction coming from London, no clear cut goals or priorites.

Watch out for competitors or you will become less and less relevant. Pay your "lower level" employees better. They work hard and produce quality.

Fun, innovative, fast paced and great offices!

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hotels.com in Dallas is a great place to work. It is a fast paced, fun, energetic, collaborative environment. I think the last two reviews written were by a few disgruntled employees on the search team, who were recently (more or less) pushed out of the org. Hotels.com isn't perfect, but I'd say it's a great place to work. Also, there are reviews that seem to be left here from the call center team in Springfield, which is a different organization than the hotels.com team in Dallas, so I'd read those separately. The pros:

- Great new office space; open lay-out, travel themed conference rooms and decor, games such as ping-pong, x-box etc, free drinks...
    - Free perks- not sure why someone wrote these are going away in 2014. I haven't heard anything about that. We have free weekly lunches, in-office happy hours, free fruit, free drinks etc. I guess one con is that sometimes it does feel like people start to take this for granted and will complain if we don't have lunch one week for whatever reason. That can be annoying to be around.
    - It's a laid back environment- you can wear pretty much whatever you want and people keep flexible hours if they need to come in early or leave early, there is no standard work-day.
    - Of course, working in the online travel space is fun. It is fast moving and, if you like travel, the perfect place to combine something you like to do personally, with work.
    - Leadership is open and seeks feedback and input from others. They try hard to build a collaborative environment by planning team events, team building etc.
    - Generally the team is passionate, hard-working and fun. There are a few people who are downers but overall, it's a good team to work with.

Cons

Like I said, Hotels.com is not perfect but having worked at many other places, I think it's not far off. Cons are:

- Much of the overall leadership is out of the London office, which means people in Dallas can sometimes feel cut out of the decision making process or uninformed when decisions are made
    - The area around the office (highways) are always under construction! Makes traffic bad.
    - Not enough technology (such as video conferencing) for an office who has to constantly interact with other global offices

Move more quickly on building a strong team; handful of lazy/negative people hanging around can sometimes bring down the general environment. Continue to be transparent in communications and foster a positive team environment. Help us stay connected to the London office. Make career paths for those in Dallas more clear.

11. Structured but decent job at a good company

Former Employee - Telesales Agent in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Telesales Agent in Arlington, TX

I worked at Hotels.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a call center sales person I shared in the gross sales I made.

Cons

Very, very structured environment is OK, that's the nature of the telesales environment. Not giving any raise while top management is making millions a year is less so. That's what is wrong with this company and our country. Outsourcing jobs to people in 3rd world countries in order to save a buck is also an issue. Should Hotels.com continue in these practices I'm sure the customers will outsource the company.

Give a little more in annual raises to the sales people in the call centers.

Hotels.com Photos