Hotels.com Reviews

Johan Svanstrom

Director

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hotels.com (owned by Expedia), is the most employee centric company I've ever worked for. The company is characterized by a fast but reasonable pace, nimble decision making, and a happy, productive work environment. No one is hung up on titles or org charts. Everyone is approachable and focused on common goals. Creativity is encouraged. Expedia values are driven from the top down and the company is very well run.

Cons

No company is perfect. Though there is nothing that I can think of that rises to the level of a con. The Dallas office is one of the smaller Expedia offices (400 - 500). If you are a upwardly mobile professional, you may have to consider a move to Bellevue, Washington or London, England.

2. lodging support agent

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time

Pros

Good opportunity for advanced career, fun environment, open to ideas

Cons

Can't move to upper level unless you spend 6 month in current position

3. Great money, and positive work environment.

Current Employee - Hotel Sales in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Hotel Sales in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Hotels.com

Pros

Honestly, I love my job. I look forward to going to work everyday. The pay is fantastic, and I have never missed commission. I make a lot more than minimum wage. For anyone who wants to work here, my advice to you is to not get into sales unless it is for you. Sales are stressful (I am sure this is a proven fact somehow.) I am honest to every costumer I encounter even if I think it will cost me a sale. I enjoy working for a company that backs me up on that. I am very proud to work for the company I work for. Hotels.com in Springfield, Mo is a fantastic company.

Cons

The only downside I have had so far is requesting off days and sometimes not getting them, but when you are given a month of paid vacation a year, can you really complain?

Advice to Management

I would say to make supervisors have the same attendance rules as regular employees. It is hard to enforce someone to follow the rules if you are following them yourself.

Good company to work for with opportunities across the globe in all areas of the business

Current Employee - Analytics Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Analytics Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Global company with solid benefits and good work environment that encourages ideas and allows one to impact change.

Cons

Difficult to advance vertically from same role... opportunities are more available upon lateral movement to other roles.

Do your research before applying for a job here

I have been working at Hotels.com

Pros

Good lower management talent trying to do a good job. Used to be a good place to work a few years ago.

Cons

Don't let the salary allure you. Lower management gets punished if they don't fit in a certain mold. Doing your job well, going above and beyond is never enough. Politics is thick. You have vacation time but never time to take vacation because you have too much work. No work life balance. Forget about promotions on merit either.

7. Great Place to work

Current Employee - Travel Specialist in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Travel Specialist in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Travel benefits, a lot of vacation time. positive environment.

Cons

I don't have any cons about working here.

8. Stressful job but good pay and benefits.

Former Employee - Lodging Support Services Agent in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Lodging Support Services Agent in Springfield, MO

I worked at Hotels.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay with yearly increases, benefits, bonuses and time off. Great co-workers. There are some great supervisors that are willing to help you. Ask you fellow employees about the supervisors because you will be able to bid for new hours 1 or more times a year depending on new hires. You may not get the hours you want the first time but hang in there. You will bid again in a few months.

Cons

Time off must be requested in advance even if sick. Stressful job with daily pressures. Large turnover rate. Make sure you get a copy of all procedure changes and not just verbally. If you have kids and need to work days Mon-Friday, it won't happen at first but stick with the job. Time goes by fast and you will get the hours you need.

Advice to Management

To only some supervisors and leads, be consistent and stop playing favorites. Be more invested in all employees under you.

Felt like a prison, and the phone were shackles

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're unbelievably good at telesales and enjoy a fast-paced work environment in which "positive thinking" and a cheerleader mentality win the day, you'll love it here and you will probably make good money. For those invested in the job, there are opportunities to move upward.

Cons

If you're an average-to-good telesaleperson, you'll make slightly above minimum wage, like most people here do. Success depends largely on ruthlessness and an "us versus them" approach to customer service.

Whether or not you make commission depends on many different factors, a large percentage of which lie totally outside of your control. This has been especially true ever since they implemented a phone system that directs high-paying customers to high-selling salespeople, and low-paying customers to low-selling salespeople, resulting in a vicious circle.

People are marked off for taking bathroom breaks outside of pre-allocated break times, regardless of whether or not they have notes from a doctor.

There is a fake "cheerleader" atmosphere that many will find cloying and off-putting. The building itself can start to feel like a prison after a while, and you will be marked off for taking bathroom breaks outside of your pre-allocated break times, regardless of whether or not you have a doctor's note.

Hotels.com are particularly bad at working with the disabled, refusing to assist those who have trouble walking with parking issues. Additionally, it's like pulling teeth to get them to accommodate the disabled with the necessary seating arrangements. Those with hearing problems will have to pay out of their own pockets to acquire a special headset.

Finally, hotels.com are big fans of changing the terms of your contract without warning. Be very careful before agreeing to new terms.

Advice to Management

Positive: Keep up the good work when it comes to motivating your employees and making them feel at ease. Most managers genuinely excel in this area. It is not because of, but rather in spite of your management efforts that many of us are dissatisfied with our job.

Negative: Don't lie so much to your employees. Many of us are a lot smarter than you think, and to us it's obvious when you're playing mind games.

10. Not the greatest pay, but a fun work environment and great people.

Former Employee - Editor/Writer
    Former Employee - Editor/Writer

I worked at Hotels.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People here are professional and friendly. It's a good working environment. They don't micromanage and allow you to work independently. Great way to get your foot in the door.

Cons

Technology equipment and software is pretty outdated. Definitely could use improvement in the innovation department.

Lacks direction, but the new ads are good!

I worked at Hotels.com

Pros

They are a leader in the business. It's fun to work in travel, generally.

Cons

Lots of favoritism, sucking up to managers, phony enthusiasm. They keep changing direction. Technology is not cutting edge. Also, with direction coming from London, no clear cut goals or priorites.

Advice to Management

Watch out for competitors or you will become less and less relevant. Pay your "lower level" employees better. They work hard and produce quality.

RSS Feed </> Embed