Hotels.com Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Not the greatest pay, but a fun work environment and great people.

Former Employee - Editor/Writer
    Former Employee - Editor/Writer

I worked at Hotels.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People here are professional and friendly. It's a good working environment. They don't micromanage and allow you to work independently. Great way to get your foot in the door.

Cons

Technology equipment and software is pretty outdated. Definitely could use improvement in the innovation department.

Lacks direction, but the new ads are good!

Pros

They are a leader in the business. It's fun to work in travel, generally.

Cons

Lots of favoritism, sucking up to managers, phony enthusiasm. They keep changing direction. Technology is not cutting edge. Also, with direction coming from London, no clear cut goals or priorites.

Advice to Management

Watch out for competitors or you will become less and less relevant. Pay your "lower level" employees better. They work hard and produce quality.

Fun, innovative, fast paced and great offices!

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hotels.com in Dallas is a great place to work. It is a fast paced, fun, energetic, collaborative environment. I think the last two reviews written were by a few disgruntled employees on the search team, who were recently (more or less) pushed out of the org. Hotels.com isn't perfect, but I'd say it's a great place to work. Also, there are reviews that seem to be left here from the call center team in Springfield, which is a different organization than the hotels.com team in Dallas, so I'd read those separately. The pros: - Great new office space; open lay-out, travel themed conference rooms and decor, games such as ping-pong, x-box etc, free drinks... - Free perks- not sure why someone wrote these are going away in 2014. I haven't heard anything about that. We have free weekly lunches, in-office happy hours, free fruit, free drinks etc. I guess one con is that sometimes it does feel like people start to take this for granted and will complain if we don't have lunch one week for whatever reason. That can be annoying to be around. - It's a laid back environment- you can wear pretty much whatever you want and people keep flexible hours if they need to come in early or leave early, there is no standard work-day. - Of course, working in the online travel space is fun. It is fast moving and, if you like travel, the perfect place to combine something you like to do personally, with work. - Leadership is open and seeks feedback and input from others. They try hard to build a collaborative environment by planning team events, team building etc. - Generally the team is passionate, hard-working and fun. There are a few people who are downers but overall, it's a good team to work with.

Cons

Like I said, Hotels.com is not perfect but having worked at many other places, I think it's not far off. Cons are: - Much of the overall leadership is out of the London office, which means people in Dallas can sometimes feel cut out of the decision making process or uninformed when decisions are made - The area around the office (highways) are always under construction! Makes traffic bad. - Not enough technology (such as video conferencing) for an office who has to constantly interact with other global offices

Advice to Management

Move more quickly on building a strong team; handful of lazy/negative people hanging around can sometimes bring down the general environment. Continue to be transparent in communications and foster a positive team environment. Help us stay connected to the London office. Make career paths for those in Dallas more clear.

5. Structured but decent job at a good company

Former Employee - Telesales Agent in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Telesales Agent in Arlington, TX

I worked at Hotels.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a call center sales person I shared in the gross sales I made.

Cons

Very, very structured environment is OK, that's the nature of the telesales environment. Not giving any raise while top management is making millions a year is less so. That's what is wrong with this company and our country. Outsourcing jobs to people in 3rd world countries in order to save a buck is also an issue. Should Hotels.com continue in these practices I'm sure the customers will outsource the company.

Advice to Management

Give a little more in annual raises to the sales people in the call centers.

Poor Direction, Leadership and Strategy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hotels.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are really good people trying to do good work at the staff level

Cons

The leadership in Dallas penalizes people that don't fit into a certain mold and have people operating on pins and needles. Leadership is belittling. They tend to promote and embrace consultants at the expense of talent coming from other disciplines. There are very few internal opportunities to advance without moving to Expedia in Bellevue or Hotels.com HQ in London. Lastly, there is no strategy for addressing the growth of Booking.com, especially in Canada.

Advice to Management

Take a genuine interest in the people and get a strategy to address Booking.com.

No Growth + Micromanaging + Clueless Leadership = Failure & Great Employees all Leaving

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some really great perks within the travel industry

Cons

1. There's little to no growth opportunities here, any jobs that open up they will seek a consultant outside the company to hire. All the best talent in the company are leaving due to no growth, micromanaging, and no clear direction. 2. Leadership being hired is clueless about the industry and job at hand. They are hiring consultants with no experience within the field or industry to lead teams. (Failure!) 3. Leadership is hiding behind micromanaging to pretend they know what they are doing. (Failure!) 4. 2014 they started taking away perks like Wednesday lunches in the Dallas office, Friday in office happy hours, monthly pizza gatherings because the Dallas VP/GM says it's not being appreciated and used properly. 5. If you are able to make great power points, claim others work as your own, and present this work as yours...you will move up quickly. 6. Unless you are with the "in crowd", wanting to kiss up to management and be fake all the time, you wont do well here. Imagine high school all over again. 7. Talent isn't appreciated, just what consulting firm you were at before joining the company.

Advice to Management

Promote within and stop hiring inexperienced consultants as directors/leadership of areas they have zero knowledge in. At some point, someone is going to have to do the work. Stop giving out false promises to employees of career growth.

8. good experience

Former Employee - Fax Clerk in McAllen, TX
    Former Employee - Fax Clerk in McAllen, TX

I worked at Hotels.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedules and overtime allowed. Easy work and some potential for growth into management field.environment was very young but hard working.

Cons

not much negative to say. left because i was looking for advanced career opportunities where i could better apply my skills.

not my cup of tea..

Former Employee - Sales in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Sales in Springfield, MO

I worked at Hotels.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice work environment, clean surroundings

Cons

what was promised in hiring and training did not pan out.

Had to follow the PROCESS.

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Springfield, MO

I worked at Hotels.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For the perks and commission, If you could hit the sales sitewide close %

Cons

You had to follow a process, a speech like in a few paragraphs and if you missed a key part and your supervisor happens to monitor that call you were wrote up. The training is so so

Advice to Management

Try to help employees make it a career, not a job

11. Top 50 companies to work for....

Current Employee - Technical Operations in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Technical Operations in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People, Culture, career advancement & good work/life balance

Cons

None. Can't think of any cons as so far the experience is very positive.

RSS Feed </> Embed