Hotels.com Reviews

Johan Svanstrom

good experience

Former Employee - Fax Clerk in McAllen, TX
    Former Employee - Fax Clerk in McAllen, TX

I worked at Hotels.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedules and overtime allowed. Easy work and some potential for growth into management field.environment was very young but hard working.

Cons

not much negative to say. left because i was looking for advanced career opportunities where i could better apply my skills.

Great place to work but limited career path

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time

Pros

People are awesome. Smart and friendly, you may never have closer bonding working for an IT company. If I ever leave Hotels.com, I will sorely miss my colleagues.

Cons

Too much emphasis on ROI. Yes, it is extremely important to keep track of money invested in marketing but no vision on branding.

Good place to work, fun place to work

I worked at Hotels.com

Pros

Fun, money, benefits and a challenge

Cons

i dont have any cons

Great company that always challenges the norm and is willing to think outside the box

Current Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time

Pros

Small enough to allow flexibility in projects and the ability for each person to wear many hats

Cons

Not enough roles to allow for long term growth at the company

Great place to learn independently

Former Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hotels.com as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You are given a great autonomy to learn and develop knowledge without being micromanaged. Twice a month on a Friday there was free breakfast provided from Paul which was a wonderful treat. There are also regular beer and pizza evenings where staff are encouraged to engage more.

Cons

Everything is done in the last possible minute without long term planning. Many employees appear to promoted to management for being good at their job without management training and therefore have a lack of empathy towards staff.

Make some long term decisions to give employees enough time to execute effectively.

Structured but decent job at a good company

Former Employee - Telesales Agent in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Telesales Agent in Arlington, TX

I worked at Hotels.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a call center sales person I shared in the gross sales I made.

Cons

Very, very structured environment is OK, that's the nature of the telesales environment. Not giving any raise while top management is making millions a year is less so. That's what is wrong with this company and our country. Outsourcing jobs to people in 3rd world countries in order to save a buck is also an issue. Should Hotels.com continue in these practices I'm sure the customers will outsource the company.

Give a little more in annual raises to the sales people in the call centers.

Telesales Agent

Former Employee - Hotel Sales in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Hotel Sales in Springfield, MO

I worked at Hotels.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The job can be a lot of fun and interesting.

Cons

Management is inept. They often make business decisions based on emotion, rather than employee qualifications.

Give all your agents an equal playing field to earn the same money (ie. quit routing the money making calls to only certain agents) and promote employees based on their abilities and job performance, not who you'd like to have lunch with.

Fast-paced work environment where people are sometimes forgotten

I worked at Hotels.com

Pros

This is a fast-paced work environment. A new idea might get discussed in the morning that leads to a change proposal. That proposal might be approved by lunch time and the wheels are turning to make it happen by the end of the day. The company is well known and respected in business circles, and there seems to be a lot growth potential.

Cons

Sometimes, the fast pace is difficult to handle. Though decisions can be made very quickly, they are sometimes not well thought through. Most of the mid-level managers are in their early 30's which means they are energetic and enthusiastic. But that also means that they lack deep business experience and a long-term perspective. It is almost like the company operates for today with no consideration for yesterday and little worry about the long-term future. I also felt like there was little concern for people. There was a sort of "take it or leave it" attitude toward employees. So, if you didn't like it, you could leave. There were no employee morale building programs and there was absolutely no concern about keeping employees satisfied so they would stay for the long term.

Build a long term vision for the company. Treat employees as assets that you invest in for the long term. Develop top-notch employees and give them a reason to feel invested in the future of the company. Watch out for hot shot managers and VPs who are just trying to show off and deliver one time solutions to help build their resumes.

Hard sales

Former Employee - Inside Sales Agent in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Agent in Arlington, TX

I worked at Hotels.com

Pros

There are visits by hotels from all over the world and they give out goodies.

Cons

It's definitely sales driven and can be overbearing.

Lighten up on the hired help.

Lacks direction, but the new ads are good!

I worked at Hotels.com

Pros

They are a leader in the business. It's fun to work in travel, generally.

Cons

Lots of favoritism, sucking up to managers, phony enthusiasm. They keep changing direction. Technology is not cutting edge. Also, with direction coming from London, no clear cut goals or priorites.

Watch out for competitors or you will become less and less relevant. Pay your "lower level" employees better. They work hard and produce quality.

Hotels.com Photos