Hotspex Reviews

Updated August 1, 2014

2.8

Shane Skillen

Hotspex is amazing!

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Hotspex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people
    Great tools
    Great future

Cons

Not global
    Lots of work

Standardize!

Pity... this company had so much promise

Former Employee - Vice President  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Vice President in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Hotspex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of good, dedicated people work(ed) there
    Some excellent IP

Cons

The CEO bypasses line managers and interferes in everything, often undermining managers
    The culture focuses almost exclusively on sales. Execution is a secondary consideration.
    Inconsistent recognition: you're praised as a hero one day and labelled as useless the next
    Absolutely no loyalty is shown to employees. I've seen top performers let go as soon as they hit a dry spell
    Complacency: once cutting-edge IP has been allowed to become outdated - no investment in new development
    Junior staff are routinely overworked
    General craziness!

Go back to business school, and this time, take notes!

On the slide to oblivion

Former Employee - Research  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Research in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Hotspex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very innovative at the time. Some very cool stuff on emotional science. Charismatic leader (at first it seemed that way). Rapid growth, lots of buzz in the marketplace, and a seemingly great future.

Cons

The management is all screwed up. They have cut just about everything except the salaries of the top management - which incidentally have been going up dramatically. They have outsourced operations, cut research staff and tech staff, and even closed their R&D section. The company has shrunk in every respect, except the salaries of the inner circle. How can it survive when it has no people doing any work and only people managing work?

Change (i.e fire) the CEO and the top management team. This will only happen if the company gets bought out (if anyone is stupid enough to buy it). Don't rest on your laurels in terms of innovation. The world has already passed them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Allowed me the opportunity to develop my skills

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Hotspex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of friendly people who are skilled in research and new ways of understanding what consumers mean and want. Friendly work environment with lots of opportunity to grow.

Satisified customers

Good place to go everyday.

Cons

Youthful possibly to a fault. Some teams work harder than others .Need standardized products.

Grow and keep inovative.

Hotspex: FANTASTIC place to work!

Current Employee - Community Research Manager  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Community Research Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Hotspex full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing staff, wonderful atmosphere, fun, trendy, cool company, innovative, problem-solving individuals with a penchant for making a difference. Fresh fruit in the kitchen, monthly staff bbq's in the summer, pizza lunches in the winter. The upper management is very transparent - we always know what's going on with the company. Huge opportunity for making your mark with these guys! :) This is my second time here - I left in 2010 due to family responsibilities, and have just moved literally across the country to come back because I love this place so much. I absolutely believe in the vision, the opportunities here, the people, and the products. If you're looking for a place to work where you'll absolutely love walking in the door in the morning, this is the place to be.

Cons

Busy a lot, long hours, tendency for work to overlap with home/personal time. Not necessarily a "bad" thing, though - it's sort of the industry we're in. I'd like to see more engagement going on, but we'll get there! :)

Keep up engagement with employees, look at how the existing talent (and there is plenty!) can be utilized in better, more effective ways within the company.

A case study in bad management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Hotspex

Pros

Hotspex has some great people working for it. The atmosphere is very casual. During the summer, the company holds barbeques on its rooftop deck.

Cons

Hotspex is very poorly managed. Products and procedures are not at all standardized. There is no training. No quality control. Work is constantly being redone because requirements haven't been properly communicated. Everything is done last minute. No one is in charge. The CEO and his dad supposedly run the company, but they are never around.

Put someone with business experience in charge and get out of the way. Standardize your products and procedures. Train your staff. Hire good people, not cheap people. Any have-intelligent management consultant could easily make this company way more profitable.

Worked for Hotspex? Contribute to the Community!