Hotspex Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
Updated October 14, 2014
2.4

Shane Skillen

Amazing people, amazing technology amazing future

Current Employee - Research
    Current Employee - Research

I have been working at Hotspex full-time

Pros

The IP is second to none, with some of the VERY biggest global clients adopting it rapidly across their businesses. The focus on clients is important in any consultancy as that it what provides resources to invest back into staff. The team is amazing. We collaborate. The focus on having technology to do basic things to free us up with time to think. The place is also rapidly growing at over 60% in 2014 so far. It's just incredible to be a part of.

Cons

Well things are a LOT better with the leadership change. A few years ago we had a team that was more concerned about theory than than helping clients. There are still many issues around being scattered and the growth cerated excessive work for many people. Work life balance was stretched too thin.

Keep up with the focus on staff, clients and IP. I believe in this and I believe in our future. Please try to hire more great thinkers and storytellers as that is what clients are asking for and with our IP we will be unstoppable.

"Amazing people, amazing technology amazing future” proves the point CEO Shane Skillen has no ethics

I have been working at Hotspex

Pros

For the most part really great people

Cons

Horrible management
    No respect for employees, suppliers or clients
    Will say anything to win the business
    No investement in R&D

Need to replace management

The shine has been dulled

Former Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Hotspex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* Intelligent people who want to make real changes come here (the fact that they're quickly shown how bad it is is secondary)

Cons

* The amount of work for some teams is ridiculous.
    * If you're not one of the "chosen", you may as well not exist at all
    * All of the best talent moves on because they quickly realize how bad this place is
    * If you like feeling like you're in an abusive relationship, this is the place to be

Get a grip. People don't want to spend their entire lives slaving away and never feeling like they've accomplished anything. Have some common sense when it comes to managing people. Stop letting the CEO derail and override everything. Stop talking down to people, and start realizing that you're not nearly as exciting as you could be. Listen to the people who are actually innovative and have a clue about what's going on around them. (In other words, all the things you're never going to do.)

Hoping to one day take it off my resume

Current Employee - Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Hotspex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Early days the place seems dynamic.

Cons

Corporate culture focused on revenue vs. good work, terrible management, treating staff cruelly, unrealistic revenue targets, tools that deliver nothing vs. the over-the-top promises, all of the best people have left. One day I hope to remove it from my resume/LinkedIn because I don't want to be associated with it.

Never enter the office. We are better without you.

Pity... this company had so much promise

Former Employee - Vice President in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Vice President in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Hotspex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of good, dedicated people work(ed) there
    Some excellent IP

Cons

The CEO bypasses line managers and interferes in everything, often undermining managers
    The culture focuses almost exclusively on sales. Execution is a secondary consideration.
    Inconsistent recognition: you're praised as a hero one day and labelled as useless the next
    Absolutely no loyalty is shown to employees. I've seen top performers let go as soon as they hit a dry spell
    Complacency: once cutting-edge IP has been allowed to become outdated - no investment in new development
    Junior staff are routinely overworked
    General craziness!

Go back to business school, and this time, take notes!

On the slide to oblivion

Former Employee - Research in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Research in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Hotspex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very innovative at the time. Some very cool stuff on emotional science. Charismatic leader (at first it seemed that way). Rapid growth, lots of buzz in the marketplace, and a seemingly great future.

Cons

The management is all screwed up. They have cut just about everything except the salaries of the top management - which incidentally have been going up dramatically. They have outsourced operations, cut research staff and tech staff, and even closed their R&D section. The company has shrunk in every respect, except the salaries of the inner circle. How can it survive when it has no people doing any work and only people managing work?

Change (i.e fire) the CEO and the top management team. This will only happen if the company gets bought out (if anyone is stupid enough to buy it). Don't rest on your laurels in terms of innovation. The world has already passed them.

Hotspex is amazing!

I have been working at Hotspex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people
    Great tools
    Great future

Cons

Not global
    Lots of work

Standardize!

Allowed me the opportunity to develop my skills

I have been working at Hotspex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of friendly people who are skilled in research and new ways of understanding what consumers mean and want. Friendly work environment with lots of opportunity to grow.

Satisified customers

Good place to go everyday.

Cons

Youthful possibly to a fault. Some teams work harder than others .Need standardized products.

Grow and keep inovative.

Hotspex: FANTASTIC place to work!

Current Employee - Community Research Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Community Research Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Hotspex full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing staff, wonderful atmosphere, fun, trendy, cool company, innovative, problem-solving individuals with a penchant for making a difference. Fresh fruit in the kitchen, monthly staff bbq's in the summer, pizza lunches in the winter. The upper management is very transparent - we always know what's going on with the company. Huge opportunity for making your mark with these guys! :) This is my second time here - I left in 2010 due to family responsibilities, and have just moved literally across the country to come back because I love this place so much. I absolutely believe in the vision, the opportunities here, the people, and the products. If you're looking for a place to work where you'll absolutely love walking in the door in the morning, this is the place to be.

Cons

Busy a lot, long hours, tendency for work to overlap with home/personal time. Not necessarily a "bad" thing, though - it's sort of the industry we're in. I'd like to see more engagement going on, but we'll get there! :)

Keep up engagement with employees, look at how the existing talent (and there is plenty!) can be utilized in better, more effective ways within the company.

A case study in bad management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Hotspex

Pros

Hotspex has some great people working for it. The atmosphere is very casual. During the summer, the company holds barbeques on its rooftop deck.

Cons

Hotspex is very poorly managed. Products and procedures are not at all standardized. There is no training. No quality control. Work is constantly being redone because requirements haven't been properly communicated. Everything is done last minute. No one is in charge. The CEO and his dad supposedly run the company, but they are never around.

Put someone with business experience in charge and get out of the way. Standardize your products and procedures. Train your staff. Hire good people, not cheap people. Any have-intelligent management consultant could easily make this company way more profitable.