Hotspex

Updated October 28, 2014
Updated October 28, 2014
2.7

Shane Skillen

Exciting Future. Great place to learn and grow. Amazing people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Hotspex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been at Hotspex for over 2 years and I sincerely believe it is one of the best organizations I have been a part of. I have watched the company make significant progress in the last 12 months and I am genuinely excited about the future.

What you do... You get a chance to make a difference in the marketing strategies of some of the biggest companies worldwide while also impacting the lives of millions of consumers by influencing the products and services these companies create and advertise. They also have an innovation division that comes up with a lot of interesting new products. The company has some incredible clients and this means you get to learn a lot from some of the best marketers in the world.

Who you do it with… While Hotspex’s client list consists of some of the world's largest companies, Hotspex has a family feel to it. People work very hard, but they also enjoy working with one another. I've worked at several "blue chip" companies, as well as a couple of smaller sized organizations, and this company has the least office politics I've ever experienced, by far! It has an eclectic group of employees from a wide variety of backgrounds, but everyone seems to get along well. There seems to be some new programs on the way that you would expect from companies that resemble ad agencies – company paid massages once every few weeks, lunch and learns, meditation and mindfulness classes.

It seems to be going in the right direction!

Cons

As you can tell, I am happy with the company, but as with any company, there are often cons that usually come with the pros…

The work is exciting and challenging, but there are times of the year when it is extremely busy. If you like what you’re doing this isn’t a problem, but at times it can feel like there is a lot going on.

Given how innovative the company is, it sometimes could use more structure and process. As it continues to grow, this will probably improve, but hopefully not at the expense of the innovative and creative culture it currently has.

• As you continue to grow, resource accordingly.
    • Continue to invest in your people and keep them inspired, motivated, and learning.
    • Don’t apologize for being innovative and creative.
    • Try to focus on fewer things that add the most value.

A meritocracy where results speak for themselves. Not for clock-punchers or people with an inflated sense of entitlement

Current Employee - Seller/Doer/Manager/Mentor in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Seller/Doer/Manager/Mentor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Hotspex full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Significant growth topline and profit in 2014 led by a core team of Research Executives - the best in the company's history - and a cohesive staff that are more cohesive than ever before. The most successful senior staff were nurtured from within and some of us actually started as Analysts or in Operations teams. This is truly the sort of place where you can “get made” if you can “make it happen.” There are no sacred cows and no “chosen ones”. The organization is flat and non-hierarchical, making each and every individual’s contribution felt and visible. And those who choose to show leadership through exceptional work get noticed and advance.

Cons

An “up or out” and entrepreneurial culture is not for everyone. But those who choose to work at Hotspex, consciously choose to lead instead of complain, to win instead of make excuses, and to be part of a unique experience.

Celebrate our wins more. Not only in the sales sense, but in the work that we do to inspire decisions of great importance for the world’s greatest brands and organizations. Continue to do what works and continue to focus on developing talent from within.

Amazing people, amazing technology amazing future

Current Employee - Research
    Current Employee - Research

I have been working at Hotspex full-time

Pros

The IP is second to none, with some of the VERY biggest global clients adopting it rapidly across their businesses. The focus on clients is important in any consultancy as that it what provides resources to invest back into staff. The team is amazing. We collaborate. The focus on having technology to do basic things to free us up with time to think. The place is also rapidly growing at over 60% in 2014 so far. It's just incredible to be a part of.

Cons

Well things are a LOT better with the leadership change. A few years ago we had a team that was more concerned about theory than than helping clients. There are still many issues around being scattered and the growth cerated excessive work for many people. Work life balance was stretched too thin.

Keep up with the focus on staff, clients and IP. I believe in this and I believe in our future. Please try to hire more great thinkers and storytellers as that is what clients are asking for and with our IP we will be unstoppable.

“Amazing people, amazing technology…”, and “A meritocracy…” both written by the CEO Shane Skillen

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Hotspex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a few good people left.

Cons

It's a company where the CEO writes fake positive reviews where he approves of the CEO. The current turnover rate is 30%. I think that pretty much speaks for itself.

Stop writing fake reviews of your company. We know what is happening. If you wish to respond to the negative reviews, there is an employer option for that.

"Amazing people, amazing technology amazing future” proves the point CEO Shane Skillen has no ethics

I have been working at Hotspex

Pros

For the most part really great people

Cons

Horrible management
    No respect for employees, suppliers or clients
    Will say anything to win the business
    No investement in R&D

Need to replace management

The shine has been dulled

Former Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Hotspex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* Intelligent people who want to make real changes come here (the fact that they're quickly shown how bad it is is secondary)

Cons

* The amount of work for some teams is ridiculous.
    * If you're not one of the "chosen", you may as well not exist at all
    * All of the best talent moves on because they quickly realize how bad this place is
    * If you like feeling like you're in an abusive relationship, this is the place to be

Get a grip. People don't want to spend their entire lives slaving away and never feeling like they've accomplished anything. Have some common sense when it comes to managing people. Stop letting the CEO derail and override everything. Stop talking down to people, and start realizing that you're not nearly as exciting as you could be. Listen to the people who are actually innovative and have a clue about what's going on around them. (In other words, all the things you're never going to do.)

Hoping to one day take it off my resume

Current Employee - Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Hotspex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Early days the place seems dynamic.

Cons

Corporate culture focused on revenue vs. good work, terrible management, treating staff cruelly, unrealistic revenue targets, tools that deliver nothing vs. the over-the-top promises, all of the best people have left. One day I hope to remove it from my resume/LinkedIn because I don't want to be associated with it.

Never enter the office. We are better without you.

Pity... this company had so much promise

Former Employee - Vice President in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Vice President in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Hotspex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of good, dedicated people work(ed) there
    Some excellent IP

Cons

The CEO bypasses line managers and interferes in everything, often undermining managers
    The culture focuses almost exclusively on sales. Execution is a secondary consideration.
    Inconsistent recognition: you're praised as a hero one day and labelled as useless the next
    Absolutely no loyalty is shown to employees. I've seen top performers let go as soon as they hit a dry spell
    Complacency: once cutting-edge IP has been allowed to become outdated - no investment in new development
    Junior staff are routinely overworked
    General craziness!

Go back to business school, and this time, take notes!

On the slide to oblivion

Former Employee - Research in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Research in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Hotspex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very innovative at the time. Some very cool stuff on emotional science. Charismatic leader (at first it seemed that way). Rapid growth, lots of buzz in the marketplace, and a seemingly great future.

Cons

The management is all screwed up. They have cut just about everything except the salaries of the top management - which incidentally have been going up dramatically. They have outsourced operations, cut research staff and tech staff, and even closed their R&D section. The company has shrunk in every respect, except the salaries of the inner circle. How can it survive when it has no people doing any work and only people managing work?

Change (i.e fire) the CEO and the top management team. This will only happen if the company gets bought out (if anyone is stupid enough to buy it). Don't rest on your laurels in terms of innovation. The world has already passed them.

Hotspex is amazing!

Current Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Hotspex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people
    Great tools
    Great future

Cons

Not global
    Lots of work