Hotwire

Hotwire Reviews

Updated Mar 19, 2014

Hotwire President Henrik Kjellberg

Henrik Kjellberg

Pros:
  • "The company respects work-life balance, while still offering challenging opportunities"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Exciting industry (travel) discounts on travel products"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance are non-existent depending on the group"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Slow career growth and not very interesting project"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Working at Hotwire Made Me More Intelligent

Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hotwire

ProsSounds weird to say, but I really do feel smarter since I started working at Hotwire. My colleagues are incredibly bright and creative -- they challenge my brain every single day. Sharp cookies, all of them.

At the same time, they take their jobs very seriously, but they don't take themselves too seriously. It’s not an ego-driven culture. People just focus on executing well, and it does get acknowledged. Things get crunched sometimes, but generally we are given the resources -- and are expected to make the effort -- to build it right the first time.

People are genuinely enthusiastic about the company and the products. Colleagues are supportive and encouraging of each other. It's true what everyone else said about the quality-of-life culture, the parties, and so on. It feels good to work here, and senior management seems to be sincerely interested in keeping it that way.

ConsHotwire wouldn't be the best place for a hyperactive/novelty-seeking kind of personality. Because of its size and focus, there aren't endless opportunities to do vastly different things. The products are pretty mature, so it’s right now it’s mostly about evolution and incremental innovation.

With all these smart people around, things can get a bit wonkish. That's only a con if it's not really your style. For most people here, that's actually a pro.

The whole place is open-plan cubicle (upper management, too) which makes it social and accessible, but sometimes a bit distracting. Noise-canceling headphones are common. Luckily, Hotwire gave them out as holiday gifts last year!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Best company I've worked for -- hands down.

Senior Producer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hotwire

ProsUnbelievable travel discounts to start. I've been able to take more trips, for far less money, and really have the work/life balance that I've always wanted in a job, but never had. Hotwire is a very casual place to work in regards to dress code and hours (9-5 most days). I feel comfortable in jeans and tennis shoes everyday. The president is fun/funny/approachable/down to earth/smart/realistic. Everyone around me is extremely smart and talented, which makes for an inspiring work environment. But in the same breath, everyone likes to have a good time. There are ALWAYS events and parties within the company, so you get to know your coworkers well. Hotwire recognizes talent and supports internal growth as much as possible. So great benefits, travel discounts, internal growth opportunities, and a casual/fun environment. Not to mention, we're still hiring, which is a great sign. It's truly the best company I've ever worked for.

ConsI can't think of a lot of downsides to working at Hotwire. If I have to give one, I would say that they do the most work with the least amount of resources possible. But I don't really see that as a downside, but more about just being efficient.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide as much training and guidance for non-management employees to succeed and grow within the company. Make sure the employees are always challenged and growing as individuals.

First class company with first class employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hotwire

ProsCollaborative, energizing environment. Sound management. Solid business plan. There are no slackers, or if so, they don't last long. The expectation is that everyone contributes, and everyone does. It’s a great place to work if you like to be surrounded by smart, hardworking, fun folks. Monetary and organizational recognition for contributions is ample.

ConsDon't expect lavish, boom-era swag; Hotwire provides discount products and manages it's finances like wise. Relatively small size limits promotion opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementRock on.

Hotwire remains a great place to work.

I have been working at Hotwire

ProsOpen environment; plenty of opportunities to engage in all aspects of the comany's business unites. Approachable management. There is a true concern on behalf of EVERYONE to get the job done while still having a life and furthering a career.

ConsAh....GD wants SOMETHING in this field. Tried to submit without it because I truly couldn't think of anything I personally dislike. There are things I know people don't like but it's third party and so, therefore, not germaine to MY comments.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake you-know-who plan more parties, more events, more meals, more EVERYTHING. He's great. I mean great. Great. There. Twenty words.

Great Place to Learn and Grow

I have been working at Hotwire

ProsHotwire is a melting pot of smart and energetic employees immersed in fun and fast moving corporate culture. The open environment at Hotwire allows for high levels of collaboration, eliminates surprises in the business, and allows for real-time identification of risks/opportunities. There are competent employees in nearly every area of the business and most processes run without issue.

ConsThe association with the parent company causes some "Big Company" hurdles to be pushed down stream to a company that thrives on keeping "Small Company" nimbleness. The company doesn't pay great for the industry, but the benefits greatly help to ease the pain. Hotwire management is probably a little too risk averse, but nearly every initiative can be counted on to deliver positive results.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is very important to maintain the corporate culture and to stick to the companies core values and business strategy. Continue to focus on what we do well and to not dive head first into new and untested territory. Continue to encourage open collaboration across all departments and inter company camaraderie.

Chugging Along

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hotwire

ProsIntegrity, vision, execution, innovation, smart people.

ConsSmall company. Resources can be tight.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it going!

a fun place to work, comes with travel perks

I have been working at Hotwire

Proswonderful smart people make a wonderful work environment

Conslean resources can mean a lot of work if one is a subject matter expert at something. support roles have more reasonable hours

Advice to Senior ManagementSMEs need understudies; we need more resources

Great place to work!

I have been working at Hotwire

ProsThe people, the culture, the management. Laid back culture.

ConsRuns lean on staffing and its a small company so growth can be somewhat limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Good place to be if you enjoy thinking hard about work & travel.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hotwire

ProsStrong culture of results, achievements, and discipline. Relatively small company size keeps things moving and fairly nimble, while backing of Expedia as a parent company makes it nice and stable. Good, strong people who are creative and committed to enjoying thinking hard. Good work and life balance, and nice shining new office.

ConsMight find this anywhere, but a lot more ideas than what actually gets done.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust in your employees - they're a real asset.

Hotwire is a great place to work

Director of QA (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hotwire

ProsAwesome people, great technology, great business model.

ConsGiven Hotwire is already part of Expedia, publicly traded company, there isn't much of financial upside.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo International

Worked for Hotwire? Contribute to the Community!

Hotwire Videos

Hotwire – Why Work for Us?

Working with us is all about inspiration, challenge, collaboration and having a say in what you do. Hotwire’s got the energy of a startup, PLUS, the stability of being part of the Expedia family of companies -- the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hotwire reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hotwire CEO Henrik Kjellberg. All 93 reviews posted anonymously by Hotwire employees.