Hotwire

Hotwire Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Hotwire President Henrik Kjellberg

Henrik Kjellberg

Pros
  • The company respects work-life balance, while still offering challenging opportunities(in 28 reviews)

• Exciting industry (travel) discounts on travel products(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance are non-existent depending on the group(in 4 reviews)

• If you're looking for career growth, you need to make sure you are on your manager's radar at all times(in 5 reviews)

Challenging time at Hotwire

ProsGood work life balance. fun, friendly coworkers. vacation and travel benefits are great. plenty of opportunities for growth. interesting projects. innovative and agile. pool table and Ping-Pong, free sodas.

ConsHotwire is struggling through difficult changes (lay offs, new leadership, short staffed) with very poor HR support and below market pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better HR support and more competitive pay.

Many recent changes in leadership and focus for the company have made this a difficult place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsHotwire has a great product with many years of experience.

ConsReduction in staff in 2013 was not expected and hard for everyone in the company whether you are still there or not.

Good times are over.. left with few good employees

Technical Product Analyst (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood co-workers. Free soft drinks. Jeans ok. Ok location.

ConsAs someone mentioned below " In my 8 years of experience never seen an HR so bad". Would agree with that. HR is not helpful and on top of that their attitude does not help. If you say you are leaving they will treat you like their family enemy. Work-life balance are non-existent depending on the group. Salary is not up to market.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide some training to the HR. They are taking their job for granted.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work; results-driven

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCulture at the company is very friendly and not nearly as political as other places. The company respects work-life balance, while still offering challenging opportunities. The company is very focused on metrics and results-driven.

ConsAs a mid-size company, opportunities for advancement are not very structured or clear. One really needs to take responsibility for one's own career development rather than depend on support from above. To get the best projects, one really needs to have the mentality of a self-starter.

Run Far and Fast

Analyst (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood work life balance. (Most employees are in the office at 9/9:30 am and leave by 5/5:30 pm). Friendly Employees. Fun company events.

ConsLots of layers. Little communication among departments, everyone is very silo. Changes are slow. Analytics are very basic. Little career development and mentoring. No clear direction.

Some sharp engineers. That's where it ends.

Product Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThere's a safety net from Expedia, which gives the company a relaxed form. Economies of scale apply as you have access to technology and accounts created by 12k employees at the parent company. There are some good and some great engineers at Hotwire, especially at the architect level. If you run a product, you get full ownership.

ConsIt's 2003 at Hotwire's Codebase, UX and risk aversion. It's 2008 for the rest: salaries, perks, etc. Times are tough for the company, and that's no secret. But HR is *extremely* sketchy here. In my 8 years of experience, I've never encountered a company that tries to take advantage of an employee already leaving. Also, LOTS of nepotism from the new president. Lots and lots and lots of nepotism. Copious amounts of it. Did I mention there's a lot of nepotism?

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying. Employees will never judge good leadership for transparency. They will judge for lying. If you'd like to make Hotwire a 20 person marketing brand for Expedia, then just convey that. However, rapid changes are happening. Means we'll see how Hotwire shapes up in forthcoming months. It could be for the better.

Big changes

ProsCoworkers, development environment. Good engineers that collaborate well in an agile environment.

ConsBig corporate restructure. After layoffs, emphasis is on saving money meaning not sure how work will be valued during performance reviews.

Sr. Software Engg

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSmall and good company overall

ConsLots of management changes after new CEO took over

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing

Things are looking up.

ProsIf you ask for more responsibility, you can get it.
    Fun activities and employee entertainment getting back on track.
    Fresh leadership and employees are changing the environment, in a good way, but it is slowly accepted.
    Lots of opportunities opening up due to business structure changes.
    Great perks and stellar benefits!

ConsChange is generally difficult, but seems harder for employees with more tenure.
    It's easy for people to talk about problems and not step up to address them.
    The company culture is slow to develop.
    Large portion of employees resistant to change.
    Large loss of staff has some feeling disheartened.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay transparent and promote team-building activities.

lost during transition period

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosgood life and work balance
    people are nice

Consbusiness environment is deteriorating, upper management are changing, lots of change happening in the company

Worked for Hotwire? Contribute to the Community!