Hotwire

Hotwire Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Hotwire President Henrik Kjellberg

Henrik Kjellberg

Pros
  • The company respects work-life balance, while still offering challenging opportunities(in 28 reviews)

• Exciting industry (travel) discounts on travel products(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance are non-existent depending on the group(in 4 reviews)

• If you're looking for career growth, you need to make sure you are on your manager's radar at all times(in 5 reviews)

Hotwire.com - It's a sinking ship!!

Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros1. Used to be a great place to work.
    2. Used to be good work-life balance, and flexible work timings.
    3. Excellent travel benefits like free $500 money.
    4. Free $600 for health-gym.
    5. If you are in the right team then you will enjoy the work. It all depends on the Manager and Lead. Our lead lacked everything apart from technical knowledge.
    6. Great location.
    7. Good and supportive people to work with.
    8. Scope for innovation but it all depends on your manager.
    9. You can learn new technologies.
    10. Everyone says Agile but it is not.
    11. Laid back attitude.
    12. Used to have fun parties.

Cons1. Pathetic salary, below average what market pays.
    2. Recently fired 50+ people in the first round but CEO still thinks that HW is not lean.
    3. Open secret - CEO Clem Bason was asked to leave his position.
    4. New CEO wants to prove that he can turn around, and add a bullet point in his resume for the cost of employee careers.
    5. Forget about any promotion in future and join.
    6. Made a huge bet on International and paying the price now.
    7. All the good people left, only the dead water remaining.
    8. Not sure what middle management is doing.
    9. Made a huge mistake by not investing in Analytics.
    10. There will be no mentoring or encouragement for your work.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink why people go to priceline.com and seriously our commercials are lazy.

Good Overall Experience

ProsGreat benefits - good location - flexible schedule

ConsLow pay - Lack of communication - not stable

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees

Real talented people

Product Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsEveryone is extremely friendly and supportive
    The environment is very much like a startup even though it's a medium sized company
    Work hours are respected
    Agile development. No need for excessive bureaucracy
    The travel benefits a great!
    Having Expedia inc support is very convenient
    It's in the city (SF) no commuting needed if you live here

ConsSubway is not close by, we have to rely on Muni
    Promotions don't happen very often (they do happen)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enormous potential in the discount travel space

Vice President (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsRelative independence from the rest of the Expedia travel portfolio (Expedia is the parent company of Hotwire)

ConsCorporate HQ for Expedia, the parent company, is in Bellevue. That can make communication challenging as many important decisions still happen there.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aware of the issues of geography as you manage subsidiary companies!

A lot of potential, but lacking competitive edge for San Francisco

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Some travel benefits
    -From what I gathered, the lean environment used to mean a fun environment
    -Great San Francisco location

Cons-New president made drastic changes, leaving a lot of recently hired employees completely confused about why they were brought on
    -Could turn around but right now, is very behind the times in terms of a) company structure b) analytics and c) technology innovation
    -Very, very lean. People may have a good work/life balance but, it comes at the price of innovation and morale because of minimal headcount
    -Teams this lean also means most people are far from any type of management position
    -Favor tenure over creative, promising new talent

Advice to Senior ManagementBe proactive when assessing market trends and what it will take for Hotwire to be competitive. Defend your new employees if they are more qualified than older, stale talent.

Used to be great, but times are changing

Unix Systems Administrator (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- The people are mostly great
    - Nice office
    - Great benefits
    - Passion for travel
    - Lots of opportunity to learn new technologies

Cons- No more work from home
    - New president that doesn't seem to understand the bay area job market
    - Layoffs during a time of running extremely lean already
    - Lots of good people leaving
    - Average pay is below market rate
    - The "fun" environment of the past has become a much more stressful and negative environment

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit the "crack the whip" attitude now or we're going to lose all our best employees. Bring back the fun, flexibility, passion, and atmosphere that made the company so successful in the past.

Hotwire - The Ship that sank!

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWork culture was good and the company paid me well!

ConsThe management was too late to react to the downfall in business and they resorted to layoffs as the first option. Pathetic!

It's just ok

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Great work / life balance. Reasonable hours
    - Great benefits like commuter reimbursement, health and fitness allowance, extra floating holidays, free fancy drinks
    - The company has been around for awhile now so it's pretty stable and efficient

Cons- Seems like getting ahead is difficult. It's very corporate in that way. There seems to be a lot of middle management positions. I don't know what all those people do.
    - The culture is pretty dull. Perhaps in the past it was more exciting and energetic, but now it seems cliquey and staid. As a new person, I didn't feel very welcomed. The pace seems slow to me. Not a very exciting place to work.
    - Pay is decent, but on the lower end
    - A lot of people have been there for a very long time. I wonder if that is a good thing or a bad thing. New blood, new ideas, new energy....
    - My manager doesn't really advocate for me or mentor me. I feel left on my own to navigate a relatively large and somewhat closed off culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementClem made a habit of talking to and getting to know all employees. He made himself approachable. I don't get that feeling from most of the rest of the senior team. Be approachable and help ALL employees feel that their input is valuable, not just the people with seniority or in product and marketing. The next great idea could come from anyone.

An overall solid experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe best thing about working here has to be the subject matter -- travel. As an employee you get great travel perks and are encouraged to use them. As for day-to-day enjoyment, it all depends on your team here, and which manager is either making your life amazing or miserable. I loved my immediate team members -- great repor in and out of work, collaborative, supportive. Clear reporting structure where I felt comfortable addressing any issues or concerns with management.

ConsCareer/compensation growth can be slow. My biggest issues came from specific individuals that were hired over the years that I had difficulty working with, which can of course happen anywhere. Also, I felt a lot more warmth/fun/connection in the Hotwire culture than by the time I left. It felt like the culture was shifting to a less happy place.

Wants to be a leader in business, but pay sucks

(Current Employee)

ProsFirst of all, kudos to the management for making a wise decision to transition from Waterfall to Agile, very late though and probably the last company to adopt a methodology proven in the market 4 years back. It really gives a great feeling as if sitting on a hot seat everyday.. Work is very interesting and challenging and I see a lot more potential for growth and improvement coming on the way sooner..

ConsHaving said growth potential exists, definitely not in terms of pay / position. Don't expect any promotions.. Expect just few biscuits as increment or bonus.. No recognition for the achievers and your manager will not pat on your back for the job well done. Management aims to be a leader in business and wants to use state of the art technology and tools, but pays literally low compared to the industry standards.. Come on, give something to the real workers.. After all, management should not take all the pride & money at the end of the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementFantastic show in the last 1 year and good luck for the future..

Worked for Hotwire? Contribute to the Community!