Hotwire

Hotwire Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Hotwire President Henrik Kjellberg

Henrik Kjellberg

Pros
  • The company respects work-life balance, while still offering challenging opportunities(in 28 reviews)

• Exciting industry (travel) discounts on travel products(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance are non-existent depending on the group(in 4 reviews)

• If you're looking for career growth, you need to make sure you are on your manager's radar at all times(in 5 reviews)

Worse company to work at

Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsBenefits are sub-par. There's really nothing good left to say about this place.

ConsMorale is down due to staff reductions in 2013 & those left all want to leave, moreover no one wants to apply to work here anymore. Salary is low. An positive review written on here are either from HR or management who are trying to entice new candidates to join a sinking ship. Henrik has Napoleon's complex. I'm sure he'll get the boot next. Funny how he came in a laid off half the work force then the remaining half all quit! Because of that, HR has stopped hiring for the SF office and now recruiting for Bellevue where there's less of a turnover. What a shame how fast this company fell.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck trying to re-build.

This place is going down

ProsIf you want a job with great work/life balance, look no further. It is also situated in a great location with plenty of lunch options.

ConsBelow average compensation; Lost office culture; Too much turnover and too many unhappy employees. It has been one full year since the new CEO/President joined and we are still seeing reorg happening every now and then. It is obvious that management doesn't know what to do and which direction to go.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo little too late. Culture has been lost despite management's effort to bring it back.

Terribly managed

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Tigard, OR

ProsWhile the turn over rate for this place was insane, the few employees that stuck it out were generally good people. Connecting on a level of "I-hate-this-place" was our common ground. Some of the management team was tolerable.

ConsNo incentive or perks, minimum wage with no shift differential or opportunity for raises, ever-changing expectations and training, jumbled management and policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no help for this place

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat location. Many fun company events.

ConsManager was clueless. Every small issue was a major fire. Manager/reports ratio too high.

Advice to Senior ManagementWeed out the incompetent managers without regard for seniority.

Trying for a fresh start but keeps revisiting the plan to do so

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSolid set of long-term back-end engineers who are holding down the fort but constrained by limited resources and an aging product on the front-end.

Renewed focus on analytics could bear fruit.

Finally realizing that the "we've always done it this way" approach doesn't work anymore in some areas and starting to try new things like off-loading certain functions to Expedia.

ConsHR seems to think company culture and employee motivation is developed from throwing in a few free lunches and having long company meetings. They keep your bonus and pay limited as an existing employee as it is has dependencies both on overall division (Hotwire) and also company (Expedia) performance so you take a hit if either doesn't meet plan even though though the CEO of Expedia always talks of "throwing off cash". They have an unnecessarily long delay of 4 months in-between the time you complete your yearly review with your manager to when bonus payouts and yearly increases hit. Managers don't even read the reviews anyway and even though they claimed to drop the calibration / sliding scale system it not so secretly still exists, you just aren't told your score.

New president came in and followed his formulaic approach used at another division of lay-offs followed by bringing in his friends from other parts of the company. There was definitely some change needed in the old guard at the Exec level who blindly let the competition eat their lunch but the lay-offs at lower levels were nonstrategic and left certain parts of the org decimated and without needed resources.

So far in 2014 strategies have shifted multiple times and overall they are on the hook for delivering more than the org can reasonably accomplish. Some of the newly established org goals are idealistic though clearly unobtainable - they missed the "R" in SMART goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink more long term and don't make short term decisions that will bite you later. Example: Laying off software engineers (in San Francisco!?!) when you are still very profitable but not meeting the company plan just to find yourself needing more engineers a few months later to sustain the business. Now it's tough to hire them as everyone knows you lay-off people, hmmm.

Set a few realistic goals and priorities that everyone can get behind and stick with them.

Simplify your strategy to a few succinct goals that people can remember and start executing and deliver it before changing it again before it even gets out of the gate.

Challenging time at Hotwire

ProsGood work life balance. fun, friendly coworkers. vacation and travel benefits are great. plenty of opportunities for growth. interesting projects. innovative and agile. pool table and Ping-Pong, free sodas.

ConsHotwire is struggling through difficult changes (lay offs, new leadership, short staffed) with very poor HR support and below market pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better HR support and more competitive pay.

Good times are over.. left with few good employees

Technical Product Analyst (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood co-workers. Free soft drinks. Jeans ok. Ok location.

ConsAs someone mentioned below " In my 8 years of experience never seen an HR so bad". Would agree with that. HR is not helpful and on top of that their attitude does not help. If you say you are leaving they will treat you like their family enemy. Work-life balance are non-existent depending on the group. Salary is not up to market.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide some training to the HR. They are taking their job for granted.

Run Far and Fast

Analyst (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood work life balance. (Most employees are in the office at 9/9:30 am and leave by 5/5:30 pm). Friendly Employees. Fun company events.

ConsLots of layers. Little communication among departments, everyone is very silo. Changes are slow. Analytics are very basic. Little career development and mentoring. No clear direction.

Some sharp engineers. That's where it ends.

Product Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThere's a safety net from Expedia, which gives the company a relaxed form. Economies of scale apply as you have access to technology and accounts created by 12k employees at the parent company. There are some good and some great engineers at Hotwire, especially at the architect level. If you run a product, you get full ownership.

ConsIt's 2003 at Hotwire's Codebase, UX and risk aversion. It's 2008 for the rest: salaries, perks, etc. Times are tough for the company, and that's no secret. But HR is *extremely* sketchy here. In my 8 years of experience, I've never encountered a company that tries to take advantage of an employee already leaving. Also, LOTS of nepotism from the new president. Lots and lots and lots of nepotism. Copious amounts of it. Did I mention there's a lot of nepotism?

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying. Employees will never judge good leadership for transparency. They will judge for lying. If you'd like to make Hotwire a 20 person marketing brand for Expedia, then just convey that. However, rapid changes are happening. Means we'll see how Hotwire shapes up in forthcoming months. It could be for the better.

A lot of potential, but lacking competitive edge for San Francisco

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Some travel benefits
    -From what I gathered, the lean environment used to mean a fun environment
    -Great San Francisco location

Cons-New president made drastic changes, leaving a lot of recently hired employees completely confused about why they were brought on
    -Could turn around but right now, is very behind the times in terms of a) company structure b) analytics and c) technology innovation
    -Very, very lean. People may have a good work/life balance but, it comes at the price of innovation and morale because of minimal headcount
    -Teams this lean also means most people are far from any type of management position
    -Favor tenure over creative, promising new talent

Advice to Senior ManagementBe proactive when assessing market trends and what it will take for Hotwire to be competitive. Defend your new employees if they are more qualified than older, stale talent.

Worked for Hotwire? Contribute to the Community!