Hotwire Reviews

Updated October 24, 2014
3.1

Hotwire President Henrik Kjellberg
Henrik Kjellberg

Pros
  • The company respects work-life balance, while still offering challenging opportunities (in 30 reviews)

• Exciting industry (travel) discounts on travel products (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance are non-existent depending on the group (in 4 reviews)

• If you're looking for career growth, you need to make sure you are on your manager's radar at all times (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic company & extraordinary workforce

Current Employee - Risk Management in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Risk Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is hands down the best job I have ever had and the best company I have ever worked for in my career! Some of the perks may be typical for San Francisco but Hotwire has a unique advantage since it is a fairly small company with a big corporate backing (Expedia Inc). This provides a more intimate working environment where you are able to wear many different hats and get to know most of your coworkers while maintaining job security. The added bonus is that you receive excellent benefits, especially if you love to travel!

There is always something fun happening in the office, whether it's a group gathering to watch the Word Cup, a serious game of ping pong or a full blown Cinco de Mayo party. There are also several annual events such as the bowling tournament and summer picnic. These are all great opportunities to get to know your coworkers on a more personal level while having a blast!

The best part of Hotwire is the individuals that make up each of the teams. It's a very inviting atmosphere which fosters creativity and is not overly competitive. There is a willingness to share knowledge for the common good of the company and senior management is very approachable. The workforce is also very diverse with employees and executives from all over the world with a great deal of longevity which offers various perspectives.

Cons

Travel is a very competitive industry and you must be willing to work hard as well as be open to an ever changing environment. Hotwire is currently making significant investments in its infrastructure, which can be challenging at times to different teams. Overall the pros outweigh the cons!

Continue to be clear about the company's direction and our plan to stay competitive.

It is a Dream Job!

Current Employee - Facilities in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Facilities in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The peoples are great to work with! And the events that they have are fun and entertaining! The work environment is great and positive. The location is perfect. Henrik Kjellberg is a great CEO to work for and he has an open door policy! I love that everybody sit in a cube. Even the CEO!

Cons

For me there is no cons!

Keep up the good Job!

This place is going down

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you want a job with great work/life balance, look no further. It is also situated in a great location with plenty of lunch options.

Cons

Below average compensation; Lost office culture; Too much turnover and too many unhappy employees. It has been one full year since the new CEO/President joined and we are still seeing reorg happening every now and then. It is obvious that management doesn't know what to do and which direction to go.

Too little too late. Culture has been lost despite management's effort to bring it back.

Marketing Manager

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing work/life balance, great benefits and travel perks, on-site gym, smart and nice people, great office/location...the new president is extremely insightful/smart and has a clear vision on the direction he wants to take the company.

Cons

Often too conservative and not willing to take risks (this is changing), growth opportunities are limited, compensation is lower than competitors.

Keep up the clear vision and transparency. However, need to boost moral and inject more fun into the culture in order to get the company back to its roots. Employees/talent afraid to join the company or stay due to negative opinions circulating, this is changing, but really need to highlight the benefits of the company and it's strong brand.

Terribly managed

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tigard, OR

I worked at Hotwire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

While the turn over rate for this place was insane, the few employees that stuck it out were generally good people. Connecting on a level of "I-hate-this-place" was our common ground. Some of the management team was tolerable.

Cons

No incentive or perks, minimum wage with no shift differential or opportunity for raises, ever-changing expectations and training, jumbled management and policy.

There is no help for this place

I loved the company especially the training.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR

I worked at Hotwire full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The call center environment was what I enjoyed

Cons

I worked very hard to complete tasks

Nothing to add for mgmt.

Great change takes time

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work/wellness balance. People want you to take care of yourself here.
    Coworkers and great humor in the office.
    Redeveloping company culture with great results.
    Lots of new hires have come in with a smile on their face, freshening up the place.

Cons

Change is slow, and rebuilding the company takes a significant amount of effort.
    If you're looking for career growth, you need to make sure you are on your manager's radar at all times.

Great company

Current Employee - User Experience Design Lead in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Design Lead in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, excellent benefits, great work life balance. The people and teams are great. Awesome location.

Cons

Lack of direction, dying brand. There was recently a change in all of the executive team. Not sure yet how they're going to perform.

Challenging time at Hotwire

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. fun, friendly coworkers. vacation and travel benefits are great. plenty of opportunities for growth. interesting projects. innovative and agile. pool table and Ping-Pong, free sodas.

Cons

Hotwire is struggling through difficult changes (lay offs, new leadership, short staffed) with very poor HR support and below market pay.

Provide better HR support and more competitive pay.

Many recent changes in leadership and focus for the company have made this a difficult place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hotwire full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Hotwire has a great product with many years of experience.

Cons

Reduction in staff in 2013 was not expected and hard for everyone in the company whether you are still there or not.