Hotwire Reviews

Proceed with caution

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hotwire

Pros

Hotwire is a great company to work for depending on the department. There are certain departments within Hotwire that have a lot of turnover and it will be evident in the "downsides" section. However, depending on the department, I would recommend Hotwire. The company is fun, there are a lot of events planned outside of work that are great. The benefits are also really good. In addition, the company is very diverse with people working there from all over the world. That makes it a great place to work if you're looking for a job with diversity. Eric is a good motivator and visionary for the company.

Cons

The biggest downside is the culture of micro-management. It wasn't uncommon to have 10 to 13 rounds of revisions to a project before it was approved. And it seemed to permeate throughout the department so it wasn't even one person whose work needed constant revisions. Most people in the department experienced the same issue. This made it really hard to gain any momentum on projects and actually get stuff done. Too much time was spend nit-picking things that were purely aesthetic. In addition, there is a lot of turnover which is really bad for employee morale. I would also say the work/life balance is not there and there is a lot of overtime that is mandatory in order to stay ahead.

Advice to Management

There is a big push to retain employees because of the high turnover rate. However, I don't think Management is really addressing the true issues. After speaking with colleagues, I found out that they felt similarly. One colleague said " I feel like my best is never good enough" and it is too stressful. I feel like until the real issues are addressed, the turnover will continue.

boring and bland but with dangling carrot

Current Employee - I Tick and I Travel Over the Hotwire in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - I Tick and I Travel Over the Hotwire in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire

Pros

great place to have a child, very fair. great place if you really want to disappear so to speak. i.e. get little done and just coast. a ton of people have left so a lot of openings are there for people to rise into to. lax hours. some people come at 11 and leave at 4, even a the high up. great stock grants and options over there years to keep you chugging along. very generous bonus which keeps us around! clem (president) is really a great guy who i think is trying to handle things the best he can.

Cons

lot of management heaped on top of more management. it seems like there is a 1-4 or 1-3 ratio of managers to contributors in some departments. so that is a super big pain in getting anything done. way too much process. they tried agile and that did not work with those involved. so now they have a new thing called queues which is like mini waterfalls but is turning out to be just as slow and painful. but with just less people in each one. a lot of deadweight even at the high high up. they really can take any fun out of anything while getting big big salaries. a lot of people have been leaving as well which is really sad and ironically its a lot of smart people who are going. so the weak ones stay. ugh.

Advice to Management

fire all those slackers. get rid of all the managers. flatten the org. get rid of that horrific waterfall structure. merge product and fd together and make people accountable. reward those that work. not those who kiss ass.

Hotwire is not a place for you if you have a pulse. Cooperate passive aggressive culture. They just want yes men.

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire

Pros

great travel perks. Great SF financial district location

Cons

Cooperate passive aggressive culture. Agile but still very command and control with a lot of useless meetings.

Advice to Management

Fire your middle managers and make them apply for their jobs again. Being able to schedule meetings is not a skill.

Hotwire - The Ship that sank!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work culture was good and the company paid me well!

Cons

The management was too late to react to the downfall in business and they resorted to layoffs as the first option. Pathetic!

A lot of potential, but lacking competitive edge for San Francisco

I worked at Hotwire full-time

Pros

-Some travel benefits -From what I gathered, the lean environment used to mean a fun environment -Great San Francisco location

Cons

-New president made drastic changes, leaving a lot of recently hired employees completely confused about why they were brought on -Could turn around but right now, is very behind the times in terms of a) company structure b) analytics and c) technology innovation -Very, very lean. People may have a good work/life balance but, it comes at the price of innovation and morale because of minimal headcount -Teams this lean also means most people are far from any type of management position -Favor tenure over creative, promising new talent

Advice to Management

Be proactive when assessing market trends and what it will take for Hotwire to be competitive. Defend your new employees if they are more qualified than older, stale talent.

Some sharp engineers. That's where it ends.

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hotwire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a safety net from Expedia, which gives the company a relaxed form. Economies of scale apply as you have access to technology and accounts created by 12k employees at the parent company. There are some good and some great engineers at Hotwire, especially at the architect level. If you run a product, you get full ownership.

Cons

It's 2003 at Hotwire's Codebase, UX and risk aversion. It's 2008 for the rest: salaries, perks, etc. Times are tough for the company, and that's no secret. But HR is *extremely* sketchy here. In my 8 years of experience, I've never encountered a company that tries to take advantage of an employee already leaving. Also, LOTS of nepotism from the new president. Lots and lots and lots of nepotism. Copious amounts of it. Did I mention there's a lot of nepotism?

Advice to Management

Stop lying. Employees will never judge good leadership for transparency. They will judge for lying. If you'd like to make Hotwire a 20 person marketing brand for Expedia, then just convey that. However, rapid changes are happening. Means we'll see how Hotwire shapes up in forthcoming months. It could be for the better.

Run Far and Fast

Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hotwire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance. (Most employees are in the office at 9/9:30 am and leave by 5/5:30 pm). Friendly Employees. Fun company events.

Cons

Lots of layers. Little communication among departments, everyone is very silo. Changes are slow. Analytics are very basic. Little career development and mentoring. No clear direction.

Good times are over.. left with few good employees

Current Employee - Technical Product Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Product Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good co-workers. Free soft drinks. Jeans ok. Ok location.

Cons

As someone mentioned below " In my 8 years of experience never seen an HR so bad". Would agree with that. HR is not helpful and on top of that their attitude does not help. If you say you are leaving they will treat you like their family enemy. Work-life balance are non-existent depending on the group. Salary is not up to market.

Advice to Management

Provide some training to the HR. They are taking their job for granted.

Challenging time at Hotwire

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. fun, friendly coworkers. vacation and travel benefits are great. plenty of opportunities for growth. interesting projects. innovative and agile. pool table and Ping-Pong, free sodas.

Cons

Hotwire is struggling through difficult changes (lay offs, new leadership, short staffed) with very poor HR support and below market pay.

Advice to Management

Provide better HR support and more competitive pay.

Trying for a fresh start but keeps revisiting the plan to do so

I worked at Hotwire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid set of long-term back-end engineers who are holding down the fort but constrained by limited resources and an aging product on the front-end. Renewed focus on analytics could bear fruit. Finally realizing that the "we've always done it this way" approach doesn't work anymore in some areas and starting to try new things like off-loading certain functions to Expedia.

Cons

HR seems to think company culture and employee motivation is developed from throwing in a few free lunches and having long company meetings. They keep your bonus and pay limited as an existing employee as it is has dependencies both on overall division (Hotwire) and also company (Expedia) performance so you take a hit if either doesn't meet plan even though though the CEO of Expedia always talks of "throwing off cash". They have an unnecessarily long delay of 4 months in-between the time you complete your yearly review with your manager to when bonus payouts and yearly increases hit. Managers don't even read the reviews anyway and even though they claimed to drop the calibration / sliding scale system it not so secretly still exists, you just aren't told your score. New president came in and followed his formulaic approach used at another division of lay-offs followed by bringing in his friends from other parts of the company. There was definitely some change needed in the old guard at the Exec level who blindly let the competition eat their lunch but the lay-offs at lower levels were nonstrategic and left certain parts of the org decimated and without needed resources. So far in 2014 strategies have shifted multiple times and overall they are on the hook for delivering more than the org can reasonably accomplish. Some of the newly established org goals are idealistic though clearly unobtainable - they missed the "R" in SMART goals.

Advice to Management

Think more long term and don't make short term decisions that will bite you later. Example: Laying off software engineers (in San Francisco!?!) when you are still very profitable but not meeting the company plan just to find yourself needing more engineers a few months later to sustain the business. Now it's tough to hire them as everyone knows you lay-off people, hmmm. Set a few realistic goals and priorities that everyone can get behind and stick with them. Simplify your strategy to a few succinct goals that people can remember and start executing and deliver it before changing it again before it even gets out of the gate.

RSS Feed </> Embed