Hotwire

Hotwire Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Hotwire President Henrik Kjellberg

Henrik Kjellberg

Pros
  • The company respects work-life balance, while still offering challenging opportunities (in 28 reviews)

• Exciting industry (travel) discounts on travel products (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance are non-existent depending on the group (in 4 reviews)

• If you're looking for career growth, you need to make sure you are on your manager's radar at all times (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great 9-5 place if you want to chill.

Not Sure Anymore (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsHotwire is a good place to work if you want to chill out and not work hard. The hours are fair and you can arrive and leave pretty much when you want. Even more-so if you are a manager it seems. The company is still hiring which could be viewed as a positive to some. If you aspire to run for senate or governor you could learn a lot here with such a rich set of politics. Most people do not roll in until after 9 and after 6 its a ghost town so if you want fair hours it is very good as well. You do not have to innovate or push the envelope here so if you want to relax and coast you will like it.

Clem is a great new President. Eric was good but quiet. Clem really is energetic.

ConsInnovation. There is not much. 4 or 5 years back there was a lot more and then innovation stopped. Working on a new 'agile' project has introduced more procedure then the already over whelming amount of procedure. The economy is down yet we are still hiring even though half the employees seem to surf the web all day. There is not much innovation. Apparently we have a lab here for innovation and I just found out about it recently. Thus bad communication. They promote 'family' values however working a day a week at home was not allowed for me. However, some managers seem to work at home at-will. What a double standard. They will also make 'rules' for you if you want to work at home. For example if you live say 45 miles away you can work at home. But if you live in daily city and it takes you 1 hour to commute here you can not. There is very little collaboration here. Very waterfall in all aspects and very risk adverse. It seems the less you do the more you get rewarded. If you go the extra mile and screw up a small something you will get scolded instead of a 'good job'. The pay is below industry standard and even in this 'down economy' you could get better pay and probably work at home privileges. Also some depts let people work at home and some do not. What a double standard.

If you read all these other people saying things like 'startup' or 'nimble' or 'scrappy' do not even believe it. There is nothing startup here at all. Its one step below a huge corporate machine.

GLASS CEILING - Very hard to promote. Unless they create a position for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication.
    More flexible work hours, let people work at home if they perform.
    Put emphasis on what people do and not if there are in the office 9-5.
    Reward those that work hard, say thanks one a year to somebody.
    Use this economy to have a RIF and get rid of all the slackers and middle managers.
    Try to innovate.

Marketing Manager

ProsAmazing work/life balance, great benefits and travel perks, on-site gym, smart and nice people, great office/location...the new president is extremely insightful/smart and has a clear vision on the direction he wants to take the company.

ConsOften too conservative and not willing to take risks (this is changing), growth opportunities are limited, compensation is lower than competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the clear vision and transparency. However, need to boost moral and inject more fun into the culture in order to get the company back to its roots. Employees/talent afraid to join the company or stay due to negative opinions circulating, this is changing, but really need to highlight the benefits of the company and it's strong brand.

Good place to work; results-driven

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCulture at the company is very friendly and not nearly as political as other places. The company respects work-life balance, while still offering challenging opportunities. The company is very focused on metrics and results-driven.

ConsAs a mid-size company, opportunities for advancement are not very structured or clear. One really needs to take responsibility for one's own career development rather than depend on support from above. To get the best projects, one really needs to have the mentality of a self-starter.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Real talented people

Product Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsEveryone is extremely friendly and supportive
    The environment is very much like a startup even though it's a medium sized company
    Work hours are respected
    Agile development. No need for excessive bureaucracy
    The travel benefits a great!
    Having Expedia inc support is very convenient
    It's in the city (SF) no commuting needed if you live here

ConsSubway is not close by, we have to rely on Muni
    Promotions don't happen very often (they do happen)

An overall solid experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe best thing about working here has to be the subject matter -- travel. As an employee you get great travel perks and are encouraged to use them. As for day-to-day enjoyment, it all depends on your team here, and which manager is either making your life amazing or miserable. I loved my immediate team members -- great repor in and out of work, collaborative, supportive. Clear reporting structure where I felt comfortable addressing any issues or concerns with management.

ConsCareer/compensation growth can be slow. My biggest issues came from specific individuals that were hired over the years that I had difficulty working with, which can of course happen anywhere. Also, I felt a lot more warmth/fun/connection in the Hotwire culture than by the time I left. It felt like the culture was shifting to a less happy place.

Ready to build great products

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSpent 2012 transitioning to agile product development with dedicated product teams and is going to capitalize on the year of learning how to make great products. Social culture is great, very fun environment to work with lots of fun company activities. Many travel perks available. Pressure is relatively low and you can have a good work/life balance. Some good-to-great engineers here.

ConsMoves very slowly for a company of this small size. There are senior management positions that are of questionable value and at times become roadblocks to progress. Members of leadership who have been here longer than a two years are risk averse and choose slow improvement options. Poor performers aren't properly addressed and stick around to lower productivity and morale. Career advancement is very slow, matching the generally laid back pace.

A good company overall

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat people, strong individualized culture, definitely promotes work/life balance. It's a very friendly company with some smart people. Great SF city location.

ConsProbably not as innovative as it thinks it is, which results in a lot of turnover in Engineering. Not as much accountability as you'd expect either with regards to product launches. Also groups are pretty siloed with not as much cross-depatrment communication

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the ranks even more. Pay better.

It is kind of nice.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly environment and adequate management.

ConsSlow career growth and not very interesting project.

Good Place to work

Engineer (Current Employee)

Proschallenging environment
    good compensation
    work-home balance
    good projects

Consno proper career training and mentorship though management keeps saying big words about individual training

Advice to Senior Managementyou guys are doing a good job!!Keep UP

Very satisfactory

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat team, great manager and great benefits. Lots of work that challenges an employee. You need to ask for it though.

ConsSome very poor upper management and executives. Poor performers are kept on forever. Promotions are unfairly given or not standard across the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the problems start all the way at the top. You need to focus at the main source and not at the bottom rung.

Worked for Hotwire? Contribute to the Community!