Hotwire Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
3.2

Hotwire President Henrik Kjellberg
Henrik Kjellberg

Pros
  • The company respects work-life balance, while still offering challenging opportunities (in 28 reviews)

• Exciting industry (travel) discounts on travel products (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance are non-existent depending on the group (in 4 reviews)

• If you're looking for career growth, you need to make sure you are on your manager's radar at all times (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

It is kind of nice.

I worked at Hotwire

Pros

Friendly environment and adequate management.

Cons

Slow career growth and not very interesting project.

Awesome 18 months in the hotel industry

Former Employee - Revenue Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Revenue Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hotwire full-time

Pros

Bright colleagues
    Demanding but manageable work environment
    Reasonable hours (50hrs/wk)
    Regular Travel (if you want it)

Cons

Vertical mobility a little tough on the partner services side

Keep it up

some what satisfactory. could have been better

I worked at Hotwire full-time for more than a year

Pros

friendly group of people, not cutting edge technically, looking to get a bit better each day.

Cons

slightly cliquish, nice people all around though. At good companies you'll find synergy between groups, here there is some politics between departments.

none, they have handle on things.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A safe company, not young or innovative

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hotwire full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great building and location, good compensation, work/life balance, travel discounts. Recently transitioned from Waterfall to Agile software development which is much more transferable to other tech companies.

Cons

Employees are low energy and generally seem stuck in a rut. Hotwire sells a fun, smart culture, but many who progress through the ranks to management and senior management or are awarded recognition as representing Hotwire's core values do the bare minimum amount of work and rarely attend company events. Hotwire is a steady stream of income for its parent company (Expedia) and goals, products, and initiatives play it safe to keep the revenue coming in.

Reduce the amount of middle management, encourage education and skills development.

I love my job

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hotwire is differentiated in the market, which makes the product rewarding for customers. Sr. Management is focused and respectful of the people. Everyone is working on becoming more responsive to customers and innovative and they're starting to show great results.

Cons

If you want to be told exactly what to do and just follow direction this isn't the place for you.

Keep moving fast and experiment with disruptions to old models.

Hotwire is not a place for you if you have a pulse. Cooperate passive aggressive culture. They just want yes men.

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire

Pros

great travel perks. Great SF financial district location

Cons

Cooperate passive aggressive culture. Agile but still very command and control with a lot of useless meetings.

Fire your middle managers and make them apply for their jobs again. Being able to schedule meetings is not a skill.

Good Place to work

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Hotwire

Pros

challenging environment
    good compensation
    work-home balance
    good projects

Cons

no proper career training and mentorship though management keeps saying big words about individual training

you guys are doing a good job!!Keep UP

Hotwire is a great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire

Pros

I really like the atmosphere in Hotwire - friendly team, collaborative, and goals oriented. Professional management and engineering teams. Interesting tasks!

Cons

I don't see many Cons at Hotwire. It may look a bit conservative, but still ok in terms of career development.

I like the way you manage transformation at Hotwire. Moving to Agile is a big and right step for the entire company.

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Hotwire

Pros

Great place to work. Great environment with a tremendous work/life balance. Management listens to feedback and everyone wants to succeed.

Cons

Other then compensation, not really any cons. Great place to learn in an exciting environment, lots of people have left and been very successful with startups, so obviously they are doing well at attracting talent.

Keep up the good work!

boring and bland but with dangling carrot

Current Employee - I Tick and I Travel Over the Hotwire  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - I Tick and I Travel Over the Hotwire in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire

Pros

great place to have a child, very fair. great place if you really want to disappear so to speak. i.e. get little done and just coast. a ton of people have left so a lot of openings are there for people to rise into to. lax hours. some people come at 11 and leave at 4, even a the high up. great stock grants and options over there years to keep you chugging along. very generous bonus which keeps us around! clem (president) is really a great guy who i think is trying to handle things the best he can.

Cons

lot of management heaped on top of more management. it seems like there is a 1-4 or 1-3 ratio of managers to contributors in some departments. so that is a super big pain in getting anything done. way too much process. they tried agile and that did not work with those involved. so now they have a new thing called queues which is like mini waterfalls but is turning out to be just as slow and painful. but with just less people in each one. a lot of deadweight even at the high high up. they really can take any fun out of anything while getting big big salaries. a lot of people have been leaving as well which is really sad and ironically its a lot of smart people who are going. so the weak ones stay. ugh.

fire all those slackers. get rid of all the managers. flatten the org. get rid of that horrific waterfall structure. merge product and fd together and make people accountable. reward those that work. not those who kiss ass.

Worked for Hotwire? Contribute to the Community!