Hotwire

Hotwire Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Hotwire President Henrik Kjellberg

Henrik Kjellberg

Pros
  • The company respects work-life balance, while still offering challenging opportunities(in 28 reviews)

• Exciting industry (travel) discounts on travel products(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance are non-existent depending on the group(in 4 reviews)

• If you're looking for career growth, you need to make sure you are on your manager's radar at all times(in 5 reviews)

75 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It is a Dream Job!

Facilities (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe peoples are great to work with! And the events that they have are fun and entertaining! The work environment is great and positive. The location is perfect. Henrik Kjellberg is a great CEO to work for and he has an open door policy! I love that everybody sit in a cube. Even the CEO!

ConsFor me there is no cons!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good Job!

Worse company to work at

Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsBenefits are sub-par. There's really nothing good left to say about this place.

ConsMorale is down due to staff reductions in 2013 & those left all want to leave, moreover no one wants to apply to work here anymore. Salary is low. An positive review written on here are either from HR or management who are trying to entice new candidates to join a sinking ship. Henrik has Napoleon's complex. I'm sure he'll get the boot next. Funny how he came in a laid off half the work force then the remaining half all quit! Because of that, HR has stopped hiring for the SF office and now recruiting for Bellevue where there's less of a turnover. What a shame how fast this company fell.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck trying to re-build.

Fantastic company & extraordinary workforce

Risk Management (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThis is hands down the best job I have ever had and the best company I have ever worked for in my career! Some of the perks may be typical for San Francisco but Hotwire has a unique advantage since it is a fairly small company with a big corporate backing (Expedia Inc). This provides a more intimate working environment where you are able to wear many different hats and get to know most of your coworkers while maintaining job security. The added bonus is that you receive excellent benefits, especially if you love to travel!

There is always something fun happening in the office, whether it's a group gathering to watch the Word Cup, a serious game of ping pong or a full blown Cinco de Mayo party. There are also several annual events such as the bowling tournament and summer picnic. These are all great opportunities to get to know your coworkers on a more personal level while having a blast!

The best part of Hotwire is the individuals that make up each of the teams. It's a very inviting atmosphere which fosters creativity and is not overly competitive. There is a willingness to share knowledge for the common good of the company and senior management is very approachable. The workforce is also very diverse with employees and executives from all over the world with a great deal of longevity which offers various perspectives.

ConsTravel is a very competitive industry and you must be willing to work hard as well as be open to an ever changing environment. Hotwire is currently making significant investments in its infrastructure, which can be challenging at times to different teams. Overall the pros outweigh the cons!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be clear about the company's direction and our plan to stay competitive.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

User Experience Design Lead (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat culture, excellent benefits, great work life balance. The people and teams are great. Awesome location.

ConsLack of direction, dying brand. There was recently a change in all of the executive team. Not sure yet how they're going to perform.

Many recent changes in leadership and focus for the company have made this a difficult place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsHotwire has a great product with many years of experience.

ConsReduction in staff in 2013 was not expected and hard for everyone in the company whether you are still there or not.

Good place to work; results-driven

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCulture at the company is very friendly and not nearly as political as other places. The company respects work-life balance, while still offering challenging opportunities. The company is very focused on metrics and results-driven.

ConsAs a mid-size company, opportunities for advancement are not very structured or clear. One really needs to take responsibility for one's own career development rather than depend on support from above. To get the best projects, one really needs to have the mentality of a self-starter.

Good times are over.. left with few good employees

Technical Product Analyst (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood co-workers. Free soft drinks. Jeans ok. Ok location.

ConsAs someone mentioned below " In my 8 years of experience never seen an HR so bad". Would agree with that. HR is not helpful and on top of that their attitude does not help. If you say you are leaving they will treat you like their family enemy. Work-life balance are non-existent depending on the group. Salary is not up to market.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide some training to the HR. They are taking their job for granted.

Run Far and Fast

Analyst (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood work life balance. (Most employees are in the office at 9/9:30 am and leave by 5/5:30 pm). Friendly Employees. Fun company events.

ConsLots of layers. Little communication among departments, everyone is very silo. Changes are slow. Analytics are very basic. Little career development and mentoring. No clear direction.

Some sharp engineers. That's where it ends.

Product Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThere's a safety net from Expedia, which gives the company a relaxed form. Economies of scale apply as you have access to technology and accounts created by 12k employees at the parent company. There are some good and some great engineers at Hotwire, especially at the architect level. If you run a product, you get full ownership.

ConsIt's 2003 at Hotwire's Codebase, UX and risk aversion. It's 2008 for the rest: salaries, perks, etc. Times are tough for the company, and that's no secret. But HR is *extremely* sketchy here. In my 8 years of experience, I've never encountered a company that tries to take advantage of an employee already leaving. Also, LOTS of nepotism from the new president. Lots and lots and lots of nepotism. Copious amounts of it. Did I mention there's a lot of nepotism?

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying. Employees will never judge good leadership for transparency. They will judge for lying. If you'd like to make Hotwire a 20 person marketing brand for Expedia, then just convey that. However, rapid changes are happening. Means we'll see how Hotwire shapes up in forthcoming months. It could be for the better.

Sr. Software Engg

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSmall and good company overall

ConsLots of management changes after new CEO took over

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing

Worked for Hotwire? Contribute to the Community!