Hotwire Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated September 8, 2014
3.2

Hotwire President Henrik Kjellberg
Henrik Kjellberg

Pros
  • The company respects work-life balance, while still offering challenging opportunities (in 28 reviews)

• Exciting industry (travel) discounts on travel products (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance are non-existent depending on the group (in 4 reviews)

• If you're looking for career growth, you need to make sure you are on your manager's radar at all times (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

77 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

it was good

Former Employee - Database Marketing  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Database Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hotwire full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good place if you have a family: Nice insurance and travel perks

Cons

Hotwire.com barely promote people within

recognize talent

Great people to work with but poor leadership

I worked at Hotwire full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

All the people I worked with were outstanding, but lack of leadership led to the company's downfall and layoffs last Fall. I wasn't part of the layoffs but after so many people left I decided to leave to for a better opportunity. There is work/life balance though but that's because I don't think people want to stay any longer at work then they have to!

Cons

True creativity and innovation is not valued. It's an extremely analytical company to the point that those that rely on intuition are not valued. Everything has a cost and number which is fine, but not when it comes at the price of not understanding what customers actually want. Everyone gets lost pinching pennies and then doesn't understand what they can't see the forest for the trees. There's no investment in what will actually make customers happy.

Give people more creative freedom to solve problems and invest in long-term solutions.

Worse company to work at

Current Employee - Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are sub-par. There's really nothing good left to say about this place.

Cons

Morale is down due to staff reductions in 2013 & those left all want to leave, moreover no one wants to apply to work here anymore. Salary is low. An positive review written on here are either from HR or management who are trying to entice new candidates to join a sinking ship. Henrik has Napoleon's complex. I'm sure he'll get the boot next. Funny how he came in a laid off half the work force then the remaining half all quit! Because of that, HR has stopped hiring for the SF office and now recruiting for Bellevue where there's less of a turnover. What a shame how fast this company fell.

Good luck trying to re-build.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is a Dream Job!

Current Employee - Facilities  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Facilities in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The peoples are great to work with! And the events that they have are fun and entertaining! The work environment is great and positive. The location is perfect. Henrik Kjellberg is a great CEO to work for and he has an open door policy! I love that everybody sit in a cube. Even the CEO!

Cons

For me there is no cons!

Keep up the good Job!

Fantastic company & extraordinary workforce

Current Employee - Risk Management  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Risk Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is hands down the best job I have ever had and the best company I have ever worked for in my career! Some of the perks may be typical for San Francisco but Hotwire has a unique advantage since it is a fairly small company with a big corporate backing (Expedia Inc). This provides a more intimate working environment where you are able to wear many different hats and get to know most of your coworkers while maintaining job security. The added bonus is that you receive excellent benefits, especially if you love to travel!

There is always something fun happening in the office, whether it's a group gathering to watch the Word Cup, a serious game of ping pong or a full blown Cinco de Mayo party. There are also several annual events such as the bowling tournament and summer picnic. These are all great opportunities to get to know your coworkers on a more personal level while having a blast!

The best part of Hotwire is the individuals that make up each of the teams. It's a very inviting atmosphere which fosters creativity and is not overly competitive. There is a willingness to share knowledge for the common good of the company and senior management is very approachable. The workforce is also very diverse with employees and executives from all over the world with a great deal of longevity which offers various perspectives.

Cons

Travel is a very competitive industry and you must be willing to work hard as well as be open to an ever changing environment. Hotwire is currently making significant investments in its infrastructure, which can be challenging at times to different teams. Overall the pros outweigh the cons!

Continue to be clear about the company's direction and our plan to stay competitive.

Great company

Current Employee - User Experience Design Lead  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Design Lead in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture, excellent benefits, great work life balance. The people and teams are great. Awesome location.

Cons

Lack of direction, dying brand. There was recently a change in all of the executive team. Not sure yet how they're going to perform.

Many recent changes in leadership and focus for the company have made this a difficult place to work.

I worked at Hotwire full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Hotwire has a great product with many years of experience.

Cons

Reduction in staff in 2013 was not expected and hard for everyone in the company whether you are still there or not.

Good place to work; results-driven

I worked at Hotwire full-time

Pros

Culture at the company is very friendly and not nearly as political as other places. The company respects work-life balance, while still offering challenging opportunities. The company is very focused on metrics and results-driven.

Cons

As a mid-size company, opportunities for advancement are not very structured or clear. One really needs to take responsibility for one's own career development rather than depend on support from above. To get the best projects, one really needs to have the mentality of a self-starter.

Good times are over.. left with few good employees

Current Employee - Technical Product Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Product Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good co-workers. Free soft drinks. Jeans ok. Ok location.

Cons

As someone mentioned below " In my 8 years of experience never seen an HR so bad". Would agree with that. HR is not helpful and on top of that their attitude does not help. If you say you are leaving they will treat you like their family enemy. Work-life balance are non-existent depending on the group. Salary is not up to market.

Provide some training to the HR. They are taking their job for granted.

Run Far and Fast

Former Employee - Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hotwire full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance. (Most employees are in the office at 9/9:30 am and leave by 5/5:30 pm). Friendly Employees. Fun company events.

Cons

Lots of layers. Little communication among departments, everyone is very silo. Changes are slow. Analytics are very basic. Little career development and mentoring. No clear direction.

Worked for Hotwire? Contribute to the Community!