Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Reviews in Austin, TX

Updated May 28, 2014

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt President & CEO Linda K. Zecher

Linda K. Zecher

Pros
  • GREAT work life balance, if you are looking for a strict 9-5 this is the place(in 13 reviews)

• I get to work from home and I love it(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management are pretty much clueless(in 30 reviews)

• There hasn't been any support from upper management(in 22 reviews)

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great co-workers and environment!

Marketing (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsI learned a lot from working at HMH. Great job experience and fantastic co-workers. Good schedule too.

ConsLow pay - no raises in 3 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransparency please!!!

Like riding on the Titanic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsOpportunity to help create the future of education, work with a lot of friendly, passionate people, occasional book give-aways.

ConsContinual fear of being laid off is a morale killer, managers moved from walled offices to cubicals, management moving to headquarters leaving remote offices in the dark.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication and follow-up on employee career path initiatives. How about some bonuses to the workers who make it happen?

Constant re-organization as legacy publishing fails to find a future

Director (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat people, passionate about making great products that can really have a positive impact on teachers and students.

ConsStruggling to redefine its offerings in a shrinking marketplace, leading to a revolving door of new executives who reorganize structures without any defined path to achieve their lofty goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementRip the band-aid off. Stop the slow death spiral of legacy publishing and slash and burn the company down to a smaller educational media producer.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Project Manager

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat hard working coworkers. Overall good company benefits and a comfortable work environment. Able to work remotely if necessary.

ConsMananagement is top heavy. High expectations with no apparent rewards. No hope of salary increases above 1-2% (if any) no matter how much or hard you or your teams work.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow your gratitude to your employees where it counts.

Great product, great people, but little room for career growth.

Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsSmart, professional co-workers, all dedicated to making a great product that they believe in.

ConsAfter five years of merger turmoil, declining sales, layoffs and now coming out of Chapter 11, the resulting smaller workforce is overqualified with little chance for advancement or career growth.

I love this place but I am not the right fit for the company

Intern (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe people are fantastic and are more than willing to help you anyway that they can. The pay is good but the true value in working here as an intern is the experience.

ConsThis is a personal preference but sitting all day is KILLER. It took no time for me to realize that I am not cut out for a desk job. The ergonomics of this job are hard on the wrists and the back.

Advice to Senior ManagementAbsolutely nothing! This is a great place to work, as long as you can deal with a sedentary work environment!

Excellent Positive Workplace

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat work environment and decent management

ConsOk pay and benefits are costing more and more for less quality.

Progress hindered by lack of forward-thinking leadership.

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsHMH has great content and passionate employees that truly believe in what they do. The products and legacy are valuable.

ConsThe company is like a lumbering dinosaur that can't keep up with progress. A large percentage of the time I was there, we didn't have something as simple as a working website. When we did, it was difficult to navigate and missing lots of key information. The company is reactive when it comes to technology at a time when it is vital to be proactive. Even simple internal tasks were mired in unnecessary processes. HMH is stuck in the past and old ways of doing business, and lacks focus, direction, and forward thinking leadership. Technology is forcing publishing to become a quickly changing industry, and they need to be able to keep up with the change if they expect to survive for the remainder of the 21st century.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe world around you is changing. If you don't adapt you will soon be irrelevant. No matter how great your content is, if it's not easily accessible in formats people want, you will become obsolete. Pick a (forward) direction, focus on streamlining processes, and cut down on waste.

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in Austin, TX is a great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe best thing about Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is the people that work there. It is very relaxed yet very professional.

ConsSenior management feels the best way to improve profits is to lay off workers and often times their best workers, so there is always an air of instability and job insecurity among those who are still employed.
    Raises are non-existant.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind other ways to improve profit other than lay offs. Lay offs effect everyone.

Publishing is not the best industry to get into and management seems to be in an ivory tower.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Pros*Managment can be flexible when you want time off.
    *Work is not overloaded during winter month off season.
    *Mostly polite people to work with.
    *You gain experience working in SAP R3.

Cons*Management seems to just shrug off a lot of useful suggestions coming from the employees actually working improvement projects and ensuring a positive experience for the customer.
    *Managers can be very politically motivated rather than thinking of ways to improve the business.
    *High turnover with managers/consultants that do not contribute to tangeble business improvement processes.
    *Publishing is not the best industry to get into due to new technology availability and decline in the printed base learning materials in schools.
    *The only monetary raise you will see are "inflation adjustments" (about a 2% increase) due to the fact that the company is in debt and margins are so thin.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop spending what little cash we have on mergers, high level managers, consultants and short term profit pursuits and invest in the people that actually hold the company together.

Worked for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt? Contribute to the Community!