Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Updated November 16, 2014
2.7

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt President & CEO Linda K. Zecher
Linda K. Zecher

Pros
  • GREAT work life balance, if you are looking for a strict 9-5 this is the place (in 13 reviews)

• I get to work from home and I love it (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management are pretty much clueless (in 30 reviews)

• Upper management has designed a box and expects everyone to fit into the same box - Customer Service is the worst (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Almost 10 years and still going

Current Employee - Field Marketing Director
    Current Employee - Field Marketing Director

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have found that HMH really believes in supporting a work-life balance.

Cons

Sometimes it seems that managers don't provide as much direction as employees need.

Good Start

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Pros

Great company to start with right out of college. There is lots of room for growth as a young professional.

Cons

Makes for a stressful work environment due to the constant restructuring.

Educational consultant equals lots of travel

Former Employee - Educational Consultant in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Educational Consultant in Detroit, MI

I worked at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (more than an year)

Pros

Great product line, and some really good people

Cons

Travel was way off balance with no respect for quality of life

Better scheduling of assignments

HMH Has Lost its Soul

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful, creative co-workers who take pride in their work and truly believe in helping
    Students and teachers- Lots of excellent educational materials, but we have many weak spots as well- Fun, rewarding job when you are actually given time to do it and not stuck creating endless reports, SFDC updates & taking endless online courses - The company also offers good benefits, generous vacation time, paid volunteer time - I think the CEO has a promising vision, but I don't know that she has the right people assisting her with that vision-Sometimes I also wonder if she just talks a good game as she clearly isn't seeing what is going on in the trenches- I love working with my customers and co-workers, but can't take much more of the stress and abuse by upper management-

Cons

Bloated management and upper management- not sure what most of the VP's and executives do- lots of titles with no apparent substance- Even though we have a female CEO, the old boys network is alive and well at HMH- Lots of talk about "living our values" but seems to be more of a PR stunt- Territories are too small (too many reps) and quotas ( and territories) are not equitably distributed - It's feast or famine in the field- Stress and pressure is never ending and upper management doesn't want to listen to the facts-Pressure is more intense since company went public last year- Upper management shows no respect for reps- If you have 1 bad year (out of many good years) there is no mercy- No one cares about your history or the truth about why the territory isn't producing- Lots of old copyrights which make it difficult for us to compete- Technology could be a lot more seamless at elementary level - Company just keeps putting bandaids on elementary technology - Start from scratch and stop throwing away money on a system that is over 15 years old - Morale is low and the company has lost many good people in recent years-

Listen to your people in the field and to your customers - VP's -Stop ruling by fear & intimidation- Look at territories and divide then equitably and stop thinking only about your head count- Seniority should mean something - We need new programs - The old programs are hurting us -Clean up the technology - Stock options for all employees would be a wonderful idea-

Inside Sales: amazing products and employees, worst manager ever encountered

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

best products, designers, engineers and inside sales team in the K-12 market.

Cons

Abusive, overlyl manager who has yelled at employees. Unclear direction and lack of preparation. Lack of communication between outside sales and inside sales. Too much busy work that does not result in sales.
    Management does not accurately report sales. Inside sales team is demoralized and terrified of manager.

Do not bring emotions into workplace. Learn how to motivate employees. Hold less meetings, and allow employees a voice in meetings. Do not motivate inside sales with stickers, gift cards and games--no one likes it and team considers it demeaning.

Great Job, don't contract there

Former Employee - Rights Researcher in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Rights Researcher in Boston, MA

I worked at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good people and a good team.

Cons

Contractors are underpaid and contracts cut rather than being hired. I was there for 2.5 years and was let go when I dared to ask for a small cost of living raise.

Hire the good contractors. We've proven we can do the work and are already trained!

Excellent start

Former Employee - Functional Project Manager in Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Former Employee - Functional Project Manager in Port Saint Lucie, FL

I worked at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent salary and the team was amazing to work with!

Cons

Contracted positions never last forever. My contract ended 8 months after starting.

They are trying to break down the silos but at least in IT development, they have a long way to go.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

New Leadership cares
    Growth potential
    Many great passionate co-workers

Cons

Silos still exist
    Product has been released to meet contracted dates regardless of quality
    Releasing quality ensures their long term success
    Releasing based on shareholder promises, ensures a less likely road to success

Upper management must break down the IT Development silos. Many people on the outside who have more experience in digital than those on the inside. The loyalty to those inside will kill their product. It takes more sophistication then they have in some important slots. The less talented politically connected get hidden behind those more talented. Management should bring in consultants who have already succeeded in what HMH is trying to do, to thoroughly and independently (without politics) evaluate the DEV process and the team members all over for competency. Management should heed the results that may shock them.

Company in trouble

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Industry, Products provide value to customers

Cons

Office culture, lack of real innovation, closed minded.

Eliminate top-heavy non-education/publishing executives for a new start

It's a job

Former Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Geneva, IL
    Former Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Geneva, IL

I worked at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people who actually do the work (blue collar workers) are a overlooked asset and are some really good loyal workers.

Cons

The company has rampant nepotism. There is a manager for almost every four people. The management could best be described as a lesson in the "Peter Principle". HR runs through the company making its own rules which only the managers can only watch with their mouths wide open

Get some training on how to deal with employees!

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Photos