Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt President & CEO Linda K. Zecher

Linda K. Zecher

Pros
  • GREAT work life balance, if you are looking for a strict 9-5 this is the place(in 13 reviews)

• I get to work from home and I love it(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management are pretty much clueless(in 30 reviews)

• There hasn't been any support from upper management(in 22 reviews)

Huge Ed Publishing Company--Same Business Faults

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people in middle managment and below. Dedicated, talented, hard-working people who care about students and improving their education. Nice 50% off publications benefit. Decent benefit package overall. My division was staffed with capable, caring people who demonstrated remarkable abilities. After reorganizing, it was decimated and became demoralizing.

ConsThe giants of education publishing have spent a lot of time and dollars acquiring smaller fish. Once part of the fold, the products are no longer nourished and celebrated. The tendency to homogenize everything to meet metrics and processes devalues both the products and the human capital.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on keeping the best of the products you have chosen to acquire. Not every square peg will fit neatly in a column on a corporate spreadsheet.

Good Stuff - Going Digital

ProsCompany on cutting edge of education content and technology

ConsLike most companies today, a desire to do more with less

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage employee morale

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Social Media Manager responded to this review

Jul 15, 2014

Thanks so much for your feedback. We're extremely excited about the new direction in which HMH is headed as a company and we are fully committed to engaging employee morale in a multitude of ways ... More

Tragic to see two "once-great" education companies merge into one so-so edu-tainment company.

Marketing Communications Manager (Former Employee)

Pros100+ years of educational and trade print and digital assets are available for re-imagining/re-packaging. Still a (very) few senior editors remaining with expert content knowledge.

ConsState and federal budget deficits limit the once robust textbook sales. Attempts to repurpose leading brands as edu-tainment for classroom support are only moderately successful and deliver significantly lower sales numbers. Thousands have been laid-off in the past 6 years, leaving the remaining staff overworked, confused and constantly wondering if they are next. Continual re-organization of departments and teams destroys team camaraderie and limits the achievement of corporate goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementMarket research needs to be significantly improved to truly understand what education customers need. Product offerings need to be streamlined so that the salesforce can focus on what is important to customers and the corporate bottom line. The Houghton vs. Harcourt mentality that still exists among upper management needs to be shifted to an understanding that this is now one company with a clear vision.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's a mess

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsPeople are nice and collaborative processes are employed. Great benefits, including time off

ConsWeak Matrix project manager design leads to incredible frustration. Inconsistency of customer facing projects means you'll get stuck on internal projects which are not fun in this org

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many layers leads to slow response. You're micro managing us to death

Ever changing the old corporate to new age

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNew management, exiting careers. Things seem to improve, but still too much old thinking

ConsOver worked people, product quality poor, no distribution of work, always chasing contracts.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate an r&d. Emphasis on quality, not quantity. Recognize the best in the company who can do the best job and not who is the position who is suppose to the job.

It was a great place to work with great benifits until HM bought it.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsIt is a job in a big company.

ConsSome of the managers are horrible. They have been here for years and have no management skills.
    Benefits keep getting more expensive and are not as good. Salary increases are far below average when we get them.

Needs Improvement

Summer Support (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsChange in CEO is making a difference

ConsToo Many departments needed to answer simple questions.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany needs to move to a ONE call ONE resolution mentality. Meaning that a customer that calls customer service can have all their question and issues resolved in that call. A research and Development Team that handles call issues, develops training materials, and comes up with new ideas to move the company forward.

This is a company that is under new leadership and is committed to leading the market.

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsGood benefits, above-average amount of paid time off, accessible managers at all levels.

ConsI have seen many instances of good employees come into work one day, only to find out it is their last day with the company because they were simply in the wrong department at the wrong time. Advanced notice is never given when laying off employees -- and it can happen unrelated to the health of the company or the individual employee's performance.

Houghton Mifflin was a fine employer, but things went south after the merger with Harcourt.

Project Manager (Former Employee) Evanston, IL

ProsInteresting, intelligent, fun co-workers. Generous time-off policies. Beautiful office space. Great location. It seems that HMH's situation has improved somewhat under Linda Zecher.

ConsHMH farms out way too much work, and many mid-level managers are less-than stellar. No bonuses for worker bees. Workflows and processes are too complex. Not enough new products being developed.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse your talented in-house staff to develop products. Make new books instead of re-hashing existing ones. Motivate employees with bonuses, no matter how meager. Simplify the workflow.

Great work place.

Trainer (Former Employee) Guaynabo, PR

ProsSalary. Compensation, Perks, Office, Location, Product.

ConsThey should consider former employees if they are relocating to other states.
    It is fantastic when a satosfied employee continues to work for the same company. That´s loyalty.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider relocated former employees at their new location and give them the chance to go back to your company.

Worked for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt? Contribute to the Community!