Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Reviews

• Rolling Meadows, IL
3.6
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt President & CEO Linda K. Zecher
Linda K. Zecher

1. Helpful in the areas of learning content development in the educational industry.

Current Employee - Content Development Specialist in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Current Employee - Content Development Specialist in Rolling Meadows, IL

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, friendly employees, resources and supplies available

Cons

Location is very far from my home

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Response

Jul 15, 2014Social Media Manager

This is great feedback and we appreciate that you have taken the time to share this. We do hope that you have been extended some of the great opportunities in which HMH helps to maintain a healthy ... More

What once was, is now lost

Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Rolling Meadows, IL

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The friendly helpful people in the company that work as a company. The original Riverside mentality.

Cons

New management changed things and made it where we have separate departments for things we used to do in one and the communication is lost and no one has a clear handle of the new process therefore causing more problems and unnecessary stress. The pay is based on who you know and not what you know. I bring a lot of talent and expertise however am not paid fairly and have complained I get the usual BS and you get the same lie that "you make more than the average joe". Then I decided to present some findings that were left at the copy machine and found that my male Caucasian co worker with the same title and who took my old job makes 162% more than I make and my predecessor makes 183% more - why is that right. Because I am a female.

3. Very rewarding

Current Employee - Manager in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Rolling Meadows, IL

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This company is built on the principles of making life better for its employees and customers.

Cons

Impementing new business and rolling out new products.

20 years behind, but faking it for now!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Rolling Meadows, IL

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to hide and stay under the radar; once accepted you can spend decades doing very little.

Cons

It's a bunch of ex-principals, ex-psychologists, ex-teachers and ex-counselors pretending to be forward thinking technology innovators....filing for bankruptcy seems just about right!

Advice to Management

Pretend you care a bit more; everyone is in a mode or protecting their current position and willing to do very little positive.

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Photos