Houlihan's

Be The First To
Add Photos

Houlihan's CEO Bob Hartnett

Bob Hartnett

Pros
  • If you put the effort in you will be taking home a lot of money (in 3 reviews)

• Everything is so high-priced, how could you not make good money (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Scratch kitchen to a certain extent meaning every menu change the food quality is lessened (in 6 reviews)

• Some locations seemed to struggle regardless of clientele (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

host

Host (Current Employee)

Prosfun, easy, upbeat job. great staff. good tips on takeout.

Consmanagers watch your every move, lots of unfriendly guests, waits are hectic

server

Server (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosinsurance, flexible hours, busy on weekends so decent cash tips but no other real steady income or opportunity to make a steady income, fun job

Consno steady income, a lot manual labor in that you have to lift trays for etc, on your feet whole time but okay as far as waitressing- what isn't good is having to "tip out" bartenders when they make more money than servers as it is and do less work uniforms are uncomfortable and you pay out of pocket for them

Unprofessional Management Playing Favorites

Server (Current Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsI can't really think of many positive things, I worked many opening shifts and morning shifts and rarely made minimum wage compensation via tips to cover the hours worked.

ConsManagement not present when needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementRotate sections to spread sales around.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Upper management was horrible

Server (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe people (e.g., servers, hostesses, bartenders) were great and it was a fun environment.

ConsUpper management treated the staff poorly and did not really respect the needs of the staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to hire competent management that knows how to treat their employees.

I love Houlihan's...the food and the job were great!

Hostess (Former Employee) Mount Lebanon, PA

Prosgreat employees, great management, reasonable pay, works around your hours, very understanding.

ConsNo cons with working at Houlihan's! I just wish I could have stayed longer! This is truly a great company to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

North side locations blows. Stay away!

Server (Former Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsEverything is so high-priced, how could you not make good money? You don't even have to be a great server. Higher bills = higher tips.

ConsMost of the employees are stuck up, rude, and bitchy. Management plays favorites and it's obvious on your first day there - if you aren't a blonde bimbo, don't expect much help from the so called "managers".

The Champaign location's back of house was struggling, but has promise.

Busser (Current Employee) Champaign, IL

ProsThe low level staff were friendly with each other and many thoroughly enjoyed working there. The occasional free meal was a plus when an order got mixed up somehow. High volatility in the schedule made it easy to pick up extra shifts if desired.

ConsSome management were difficult to deal with, while some were friendly with the help. The pay was lower than it could be, and the management would occasionally make promises it could not keep. High volatility in the schedule meant that the place was occasionally understaffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake promises that can be kept. hire more reliable staff. Only schedule within availability, apologize and explain why staff were scheduled outside of their availability if it happens.

Not what it used to be

Server/Host/Bartender/Expo (Current Employee)

ProsYour schedule can be easily changed and management will work with your schedule if you're in school or have another job. The lunches are very busy. There are often opportunities to be promoted and move up in the ranks.

ConsThe money is very unreliable. There is a high turnover in management due to long stressful hours. Poor communication and favoritism makes it very hard to talk to management.

server

Server (Former Employee) Weehawken, NJ

Prosgood pay if you're a capable server and good multi tasker. Good Managment

Cons100% tips, a lot of studying the drink menus and food menus.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Great job to get me through college.

Server/Trainer/Bartender/Expo (Current Employee) Hershey, PA

ProsOne of the best chain-restaurant concepts I've ever experienced. A really fun working environment and culture. Great Menu, Great location kept butts in the seats.

ConsPersonally I worked at a franchised location so the disconnect from corporate seemed HUGE.

Advice to Senior ManagementThy to reach out to locations and include them in the culture, you'd be surprised what talent you might find in a franchise location.

Worked for Houlihan's? Contribute to the Community!