House of Fraser Reviews

Updated April 15, 2015
53 reviews filtered by
2.8
Don McCarthy

Pros
  • good discount off house brands (if you work for them, for business dress subsidy) or concession brands (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Forced to sell credit cards (store cards) (in 5 reviews)

• You are only allowed to start closing tills when the store is closed so usually at 8pm and no customers are allowed to be around when you do it (in 4 reviews)

Too much stress and pressure for the low pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at House of Fraser

Pros

Have met some great people and have learnt a lot. HQ put on fun events over Christmas and you are allowed to leave early on Fridays in the summer. It would be good to see more of these events throughout the year.

Cons

Constantly feel overworked, often due to high turnover of staff, so never have enough time to do more than the bare minimum. Have to come in early to do reports on Monday but don't get paid for it. Very hard to get a salary increase or promotion, very dependent on who your manager is and how long they feel you should be in the role, regardless of your capabilities. In my opinion the role often has far too much stress and pressure such a low salary. Hard work is not really appreciated at all. Training is very hit and miss depending on who you work with. Often we are expected to do most of the training for new starters, which is very time consuming when you already have too much to do. You only get staff discount if you apply for a credit card. If you are not accepted you have to go through a very tedious process photocopying receipts, etc., to eventually get your discount paid back to you months later. I do not understand why we cannot just have a discount card like other retailers that you just show at the till.

Advice to Management

Increase your pay in line with John Lewis to reduce staff turnover. Implement more technical training for new starters. Appreciate people more.

2. My experience in this company has be really good and I have enjoyed my time there I am just looking for a new challenge

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at House of Fraser full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You can move up in the store very quick and you get so much training to make you get more experience.

Cons

My only cons at this moment is that I don't feel challenged in my job I love to be busy and learning new things.

Advice to Management

With me being in training for a manger I have learned so many different skills how to deal with day to day problems with staff to customers.

3. Is not nice place to work!

I have been working at House of Fraser

Pros

Excellent staff dress allowance. Staff are friendly and work time is flexible.

Cons

I have been working at HoF for nearly a year now. I come from concession and then Hof itself. I find it a lot of full time staff are working really hard and not appreciated by management whereas part time staff they just came in and talk and not doing a job and for me that's frustrating. I'm currently assigned ownership of one brand in which you call it brand specialist but wasn't not official and Hof hiring ww brand specialist and I applied for it to make it official and they turn me down. I didn't get the job because they think somebody outsider are more capable than myself. I felt dishearten and unvalued. Manager told me that she doesn't think I'm confident enough to take brand ownership in which that's the job I'm currently doing. I came before this manager came to Hof. I've done the job as brand specialist but she stitch me up. They put me to every single responsibility at work in which I don't mind at all but now I know my hard work is not valued. I love my job but I will only be doing like a normal staff from now on. Anyone can give me an advice for this please. I need your clear mind to enlighten me.

Advice to Management

Management should watch closely enough if their staff are worthy, treat their staff with respect and value their hardwork. Please stop forcing staff to get MasterCard because it is not part of their job!

5. HoF

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at House of Fraser

Pros

Opportunities for extra responsibility/some training, good to work for a concession

Cons

High Management turnover, staff not felt valued at times, little investment into staff or tools, too much focus on KPIs like selling the mastercard instead of actually delivering good customer service

6. Positivity please!

Former Employee - Sales Advisor
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor

I worked at House of Fraser part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good name to put on your CV.
    - You do work with some great sales associates (often tend to be the staff who's been there a long time) you can pick up on their skills.

Cons

- No praise of hard work.
    - FraserCards seem to be more valuable than good customer service.
    - As a concession, I didn't feel that I was treat the same as main House of Fraser staff. Staff information wasn't shared with me and it didn't seem important for me to know these things, even though at times I was the only member of staff in the area on the shop floor and served the majority of HoF customers.
    - Doesn't seem to be any way 'up the ladder' unless you know someone, or spend your time getting to know managers rather than working hard.
    - Management spy on you to see if they can catch you doing anything wrong.
    - No professionalism when dealing with matters. I'd rather a manager take me to one side to raise an issue rather than doing it in the middle of the shop floor with his voice raised.

7. Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at House of Fraser part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gorgeous clothes
    75% staff discount
    Great ethos

Cons

Uniform sometimes weird shape/fit
    very delicate products, easy to find faults

8. Good but restricted.

I have been working at House of Fraser

Pros

Part of a team. Staff very friendly. Great Vision and Values.

Cons

Can't use initiative and demonstrate skills as all directive is sent from head office.

Advice to Management

Give a little praise from time to time.

9. Not a lot of training and support

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Sheffield, England (UK)

I worked at House of Fraser

Pros

Really good pay considering I was 17 at the time, £6.40 is quite good. You will get a generous discount for your uniform, which is really good.

Cons

My store didn't really give me the support i needed, I didn't really have anyone to talk too if I had an issue and I often felt that issues were swept aside and not listened too. Coming from a fast food background I didn't know much about clothes and we didn't really get that support or training on the clothes we were selling, or fashion trend and styles either. The main problem Is we had to push really hard for customers to open master cards I even got told if the customer says no to carry on talking about the benefits of the card at times this could get very awkward and the customer would get really frustrated.

Advice to Management

I'd probably say to look after the staff more, when I talked to others in the store a lot of them felt the same way that they didn't have enough support or training. I'd say as well too much focus is on master cards and staff feel very stressed trying to sell one. I also never got a lot of praise, although we knew when we did something wrong.

10. In the beginning it was great but the business changed

Current Employee - Brand Specialist in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Brand Specialist in London, England (UK)

I have been working at House of Fraser

Pros

Team members, pay, flexibility, breaks

Cons

Pressure from management, lack of progression, lack of care from managmnt

Advice to Management

Management need to treat their staff better, a lot better than they do now.

11. It is a nice place to work.

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at House of Fraser part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is good and the people are friendly.

Cons

The management tend to work you quite hard.

Advice to Management

Pay could do with natural rises with inflation.