House of Fraser

Updated June 22, 2014

2.6

Don McCarthy

House of Fraser

Current Employee - Buying Assistant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Buying Assistant in London, England (UK)

Pros

Fun environment, very enjoyable work, good training classes and an online development website

Cons

No raises or bonuses, It is extremely difficult to progress, high turnover, have to pay for own short distance travel

Ralph Lauren Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Advisor  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)

Pros

The People that you work with are the best part.

Cons

Not great staff incentives. Lots of pressure from management to sell store cards

Terrible company to work for.

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

Pros

Discount and other sales assistants.

Cons

Management is terrible, they handle the staff horribly, never give good feedback always negative, disciplinaries are given for ridiculous reasons. They are unorganized, unpleasant and also pressure you to get the store card too much, when it is very difficult.

Give rewards and benefits to staff, tell them when they've done well, don't just criticize, be more friendly and actually orangise properly.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not very nice management and constant pressure.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor  in  Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Pros

It's a big company and when you first get training they train you with other new starts and you get to know each other quite well. The people you work with i.e sales assistants are all pretty decent people and are easy to get along with.

Cons

Management aren't very approachable and never seem to let you know any important information, you just hear off other members of staff. A lot of pressure to reach sales targets and to open House of Fraser account cards and credit cards. Opening these cards is such a time consuming process that most customers walk away and don't complete the application. It also involved making a phone call to an Indian call centre where you have to stay on hold for ages right in front of the customer and then pass the phone over to them and they have to confirm all the information they already gave on the application form.

Also part time staff are also excluded from certain things and are treated by management as not being fully competent as they don't work full time.

You also only receive a staff discount if you open an account card. Which means part timers are excluded from this as you have to work so many hours to be eligible to open one. Also you must remember to pay off the money straight away or you'll be charged interest as customers are charged.... defeats the purpose of a staff discount in my opinion.

Hold more meetings with staff to pass on information and work together as a team. Just because someone works part time doesn't mean that they don't want to be included. Also introduce a simple staff discount card rather than forcing staff to open an account card just to receive a discount.

Rewarding, lovely environment to work in.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor  in  Sutton Coldfield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Sutton Coldfield, England (UK)

Pros

The training you get is what enables you to deliver VIP customer service. There were always targets with incentives such as a small chocolate treat, so working towards target was for your own self gratification and kept you positive and hardworking throughout the day. Really friendly staff and always helpful.

Cons

I was thrown onto lingerie, a department which I had never worked in before, although I got training for customer service, I had no proper training with regards to how to fit a bra properly, I had to work it out myself. You might get thrown onto a different concession if the store is understaffed, which can throw you off guard.

I think the management was great, nothing to complain about, unfortunately I only worked there for 2 months due to personal reasons.

Good to bad

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Department Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

The staff r good to work with

Cons

Trying to move up ie supervisor, management

Treat your staff better

not many pros.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor

Pros

- good discount off house brands (if you work for them, for business dress subsidy) or concession brands.
    - can make a lot of friends if your face fits

Cons

- have to sign up for an account card to get discount off the store
    - management not helpful, unwilling to help colleagues when they are phoned, generally cannot be bothered unless they want to criticize and embarrass you in front of customers and other members of staff
    - no communication between management & staff, promotions and info about new stock not given to most staff which doesnt help when talking to customers
    - tons of complaints about the buy & collect service and the website
    - people not taught properly in induction so things either dont get done, passed over to someone else or forgotten about
    - rarely get productivity, barely any customers in the daytime unless they are returning large amounts of goods. you're disciplined on this, for not reaching productivity and selling of cards targets
    - give out disciplinaries for petty reasons
    - having to sell account cards, very difficult and just luck if you happen to get someone to say yes, say they don't pressurize people into selling them or encourage people to get them but they do

a bit of respect goes a long way

Great talented people who care about giving VIP service, internally and externally

Pros

The company values are simple, easy to achieve and give all something to believe in. I have enjoyed every role I have had over the years and the people I was lucky enough to work with. It is easy to progress with structured training and some very inspiring management teams.

Cons

The decision making was sometimes slow and a little frustrating to have to go up every level but once you have networked effectively then its a breeze

The only fun part was the amazing people I worked with

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)

Pros

After 3 months of working there you can get a 20% staff discount card
    They do a staff shop every once in a while and you can buy lots of cheap perfume and cosmetics
    They do special offers for staff sometimes even if you don't have the discount card e.g. 50% off Ralph Lauren, YSL/Clinique kits with lots of % off

Cons

The managers really push us to open House of Fraser Mastercards and its literally the WORST thing. I worked on childrens wear which was on the top (6th) floor. Not only were all the customers in a rush or saddled down with hundreds of changing bags they had screaming and hungry children so they just wanted to get home ASAP. Being on the top floor also meant that most of the time they had already got one downstairs when they had been shopping on ladies. As well as that, most people that shop there are either regular customers who have already got one. Or people that are coming in as a one off and dont want one as they wont shop here again.
    They also push recognition card which arent as bad because you can literally scan them and put them in the bag and the customer can do the rest at home. No one wants to spend ten mins at the till and end up with another credit card.
    We also have a target everyday of how many 'order in stores' we have to do, This is means that if we dont have an item in stock we order it online for them on the shop floor. On a normal weekday we might be expected to do £50.
    You are only allowed to start closing tills when the store is closed so usually at 8pm and no customers are allowed to be around when you do it.However customers usually hang around a little longer and it also takes around 5-10 mins to cash up a till depending on how slow it is being. This would be fine but you only get paid until 8 o clock. This means that you end up working for free for about 15 mins at the end of each night as you also have to get down to the cash office and hand in your cash bag.
    Other cons are basically just the usual retail cons. Having to do ticketing on hundreds of items, annoying and ruse customers etc

I had an amazing manager however the people above her had terrible communication skills, Nothing was ever passed down to us properly and most of what we knew was word of mouth, if you happened to come across someone talking about it then thats how you found out.

I renamed it the house of grim

Former Employee - Sales Advisor  in  Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

Pros

Some nive people work in the house of Fraser

Cons

Management a joke,to many chiefs not enough Indians. You had to climb 90 stairs to get to the front door no staff lift

Do some work

Worked for House of Fraser? Contribute to the Community!