House of Fraser

2.6

Don McCarthy

29 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good as a start

Current Employee - Online Category Executive in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Online Category Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at House of Fraser full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with, simple company values, great incentives such as days out playing rounders.

Cons

Poor management, most time is spend in front of 1 or 2 computer screens inputting data, the way company presents reports is very poor.

Good Opportunities to Progress

Current Employee - Deputy Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Deputy Sales Manager

I have been working at House of Fraser full-time

Pros

Training Schemes available to help career progression. Friendly working environment. On the job learning as well as training schemes available.

Cons

Retail comes with unsociable hours but that is to be expected. Low Staffing is an issue. Constant promotion changes and Mastercard opening pressure can be stressful.

Regular training and refresher courses should be given to all staff. Communicate to everyone not just key staff members.

Horrible horrible HORRIBLE!

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Chichester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Chichester, England (UK)

I have been working at House of Fraser full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to meet some lovely people ( staff and customers).

Cons

There is clear divide between HOF management and everyone else. Managers are very gossipy and have clear favourites. They expect you to bend over backwards to support them but rarely even answer their phones when you need them.
    If you're a smoker ,which most of HOF mgmt are, then you get extra breaks, preferential treatment and can generally just get by doing the bare minimum.

There is no such thing as confidentiality in HOF.

If you work for a concession then you may fare a bit happier then if you worked for HOF.

Read the above! Remember that all members of your staff, no matter what level, are human.
     Don't ask someone to do something that you wouldn't do yourself.

Try working as a team rather than sides.

STOP PRESSURING STAFF ABOUT STORE CARDS, IF PEOPLE WANT THEM THEY'LL ASK.

Worst company ever

I worked at House of Fraser

Pros

Reasonable pay
    Pretty place to work
    Good of cv
    Make good life long friends
    Uniform is smart but casual so you can add youre own style into your every day working uniform

Cons

Boring
    No support from colleagues of management
    Forced to sell credit cards (store cards)
    All fake
    No body cares about you or eachother or any one
    No customers. Youre better off working for John Lewis or Debenhams. Youll have a lot more fun

Get better management skills and take notice of your staff, rather than strolling around on floor walks with your dweeby assistants and giving a royal wave. Communicate with them. If you want the targets, treat staff better.

Awful

Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at House of Fraser full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only good thing was the staff

Cons

Unbelievably disorganised and management/staff disconnect

Avoid at all costs

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at House of Fraser part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people you work with, if youre lucky!

Cons

- they dont pay you your overtime and will lie and find ways to avoid paying you.
    - completely un-organized, managers don't communicate
    - 2 faced managers who smile in youre face but backstab you to other members of the team
    - late closing time (dependant on store)
    - cannot get discount unless you sign up for the stores credit card
    - they FORCE you to sell the store master card and if you dont you'll find yourself jobless
    - HIGH staff turnover

you are only a shop floor manager, get your head out of your bottom

Allocator SSC - Learnt a lot but not a lot of support for a starter at entry level- maybe I just had bad luck.

Current Employee - Allocator in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Allocator in London, England (UK)

I have been working at House of Fraser full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good location, kept in the loop about company performance, reasonable salary compared to se position at other businesses, challenging and rewarding role, learnt a lot about supply chain.

Cons

Lack of training at start of role, mainly on the job training which can vary depending on who is your mentor. Lack of support from my line manager, didn't feel respected by them and we didn't see eye to eye which led me to leave the role. High turnover from what I could see and high pressured and demanding on people - never felt I had enough time to get everything done.

I really feel that when you have so many people going into similar roles more training on the mercatus and systems used daily would be so beneficial - also a refresher excel course would have improved my speed no end. I did not feel the company induction for 2 days was as beneficial as more courses to do with the role would have been. Also no exit interview or explanation for why I left, felt a bit like no one cared that I left or wanted to know why and that's not a nice feeling, I would like to think the company try to know what went wrong and recognise this with new employees.

Good company to work for, if you don't mind working along with their ways

Former Employee - Brand Specialist in Grays, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Brand Specialist in Grays, England (UK)

I worked at House of Fraser full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Large company, household name, lovely products, like-minded colleagues. Possibilities of commission and bonuses depending on role or performance. Strong performer in the highstreet. Progression is possible and the training is being restructured. Opportunities are there, if you're driven enough to chase them yourself.

Cons

Progression can be slow, often looking to hire externally rather than from within. Working in retail brings pitfalls such as long and antisocial working hours and banned holiday periods.

Only a matter of time before someone sues them.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at House of Fraser full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Whips are illegal so they don't use them on staff.

Cons

Awful pay.
    No incentive, no pay rises, no bonuses.
    Constant mind numbing pressure to force customers into debt by opening store cards.
    Nasty, arrogant, rude management.
    Expected to stay and work FOR FREE once your shift is over.
    No flexibility with hours -they could easily put part timers on the late nights but expect full timers to do them whether they want to or not.
    Rotas done about 5 minutes in advance.
    Human resources constantly break the law with regards to confidentiality.
    Spiteful management always humiliating staff or sniping about them behind their back.
    Did I mention they expect you to work FOR FREE once your shift is finished.
    Total lack of respect.
    Demoralising atmosphere.

Relocate to a third world country then you can openly be the sweat shop that you act like.

Old-school retail management environment with a general feeling of negativity.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at House of Fraser part-time

Pros

Other staff are great to work with, a few training opportunities, good discount (although you have to have a store card to take advantage of it). It's great getting to know the customers and meeting their needs.

Cons

The atmosphere between managers and sales assistants isn't great at times, leading to an environment of distrust. As a HOF employee you find yourself doing a LOT more work than concession staff. Management can be petty and disrespectful to their staff. If you are struggling to meet a target, some managers just get annoyed with you instead of providing encouragement. I found the store I worked at to be very gossipy environment where everyone is discussing other staff behind their backs, managers included.

Managers need to be more encouraging and consistent in their approach to staff. Take sales assistants' views into account as they are the ones who engage most with HOF customers. Build a more positive environment!