www.houseoffraser.co.uk

Updated October 9, 2014
2.6

Don McCarthy

23 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Allocator SSC - Learnt a lot but not a lot of support for a starter at entry level- maybe I just had bad luck.

Current Employee - Allocator in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Allocator in London, England (UK)

I have been working at House of Fraser full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good location, kept in the loop about company performance, reasonable salary compared to se position at other businesses, challenging and rewarding role, learnt a lot about supply chain.

Cons

Lack of training at start of role, mainly on the job training which can vary depending on who is your mentor. Lack of support from my line manager, didn't feel respected by them and we didn't see eye to eye which led me to leave the role. High turnover from what I could see and high pressured and demanding on people - never felt I had enough time to get everything done.

I really feel that when you have so many people going into similar roles more training on the mercatus and systems used daily would be so beneficial - also a refresher excel course would have improved my speed no end. I did not feel the company induction for 2 days was as beneficial as more courses to do with the role would have been. Also no exit interview or explanation for why I left, felt a bit like no one cared that I left or wanted to know why and that's not a nice feeling, I would like to think the company try to know what went wrong and recognise this with new employees.

Good company to work for, if you don't mind working along with their ways

Former Employee - Brand Specialist in Grays, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Brand Specialist in Grays, England (UK)

I worked at House of Fraser full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Large company, household name, lovely products, like-minded colleagues. Possibilities of commission and bonuses depending on role or performance. Strong performer in the highstreet. Progression is possible and the training is being restructured. Opportunities are there, if you're driven enough to chase them yourself.

Cons

Progression can be slow, often looking to hire externally rather than from within. Working in retail brings pitfalls such as long and antisocial working hours and banned holiday periods.

Only a matter of time before someone sues them.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at House of Fraser full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Whips are illegal so they don't use them on staff.

Cons

Awful pay.
    No incentive, no pay rises, no bonuses.
    Constant mind numbing pressure to force customers into debt by opening store cards.
    Nasty, arrogant, rude management.
    Expected to stay and work FOR FREE once your shift is over.
    No flexibility with hours -they could easily put part timers on the late nights but expect full timers to do them whether they want to or not.
    Rotas done about 5 minutes in advance.
    Human resources constantly break the law with regards to confidentiality.
    Spiteful management always humiliating staff or sniping about them behind their back.
    Did I mention they expect you to work FOR FREE once your shift is finished.
    Total lack of respect.
    Demoralising atmosphere.

Relocate to a third world country then you can openly be the sweat shop that you act like.

Old-school retail management environment with a general feeling of negativity.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at House of Fraser part-time

Pros

Other staff are great to work with, a few training opportunities, good discount (although you have to have a store card to take advantage of it). It's great getting to know the customers and meeting their needs.

Cons

The atmosphere between managers and sales assistants isn't great at times, leading to an environment of distrust. As a HOF employee you find yourself doing a LOT more work than concession staff. Management can be petty and disrespectful to their staff. If you are struggling to meet a target, some managers just get annoyed with you instead of providing encouragement. I found the store I worked at to be very gossipy environment where everyone is discussing other staff behind their backs, managers included.

Managers need to be more encouraging and consistent in their approach to staff. Take sales assistants' views into account as they are the ones who engage most with HOF customers. Build a more positive environment!

House of Fraser

Current Employee - Buying Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Buying Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at House of Fraser full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun environment, very enjoyable work, good training classes and an online development website

Cons

No raises or bonuses, It is extremely difficult to progress, high turnover, have to pay for own short distance travel

Ralph Lauren Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at House of Fraser part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The People that you work with are the best part.

Cons

Not great staff incentives. Lots of pressure from management to sell store cards

Terrible company to work for.

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at House of Fraser part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount and other sales assistants.

Cons

Management is terrible, they handle the staff horribly, never give good feedback always negative, disciplinaries are given for ridiculous reasons. They are unorganized, unpleasant and also pressure you to get the store card too much, when it is very difficult.

Give rewards and benefits to staff, tell them when they've done well, don't just criticize, be more friendly and actually orangise properly.

Rewarding, lovely environment to work in.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Sutton Coldfield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Sutton Coldfield, England (UK)

I worked at House of Fraser part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training you get is what enables you to deliver VIP customer service. There were always targets with incentives such as a small chocolate treat, so working towards target was for your own self gratification and kept you positive and hardworking throughout the day. Really friendly staff and always helpful.

Cons

I was thrown onto lingerie, a department which I had never worked in before, although I got training for customer service, I had no proper training with regards to how to fit a bra properly, I had to work it out myself. You might get thrown onto a different concession if the store is understaffed, which can throw you off guard.

I think the management was great, nothing to complain about, unfortunately I only worked there for 2 months due to personal reasons.

Not very nice management and constant pressure.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at House of Fraser part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a big company and when you first get training they train you with other new starts and you get to know each other quite well. The people you work with i.e sales assistants are all pretty decent people and are easy to get along with.

Cons

Management aren't very approachable and never seem to let you know any important information, you just hear off other members of staff. A lot of pressure to reach sales targets and to open House of Fraser account cards and credit cards. Opening these cards is such a time consuming process that most customers walk away and don't complete the application. It also involved making a phone call to an Indian call centre where you have to stay on hold for ages right in front of the customer and then pass the phone over to them and they have to confirm all the information they already gave on the application form.

Also part time staff are also excluded from certain things and are treated by management as not being fully competent as they don't work full time.

You also only receive a staff discount if you open an account card. Which means part timers are excluded from this as you have to work so many hours to be eligible to open one. Also you must remember to pay off the money straight away or you'll be charged interest as customers are charged.... defeats the purpose of a staff discount in my opinion.

Hold more meetings with staff to pass on information and work together as a team. Just because someone works part time doesn't mean that they don't want to be included. Also introduce a simple staff discount card rather than forcing staff to open an account card just to receive a discount.

not many pros.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor

I worked at House of Fraser part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- good discount off house brands (if you work for them, for business dress subsidy) or concession brands.
    - can make a lot of friends if your face fits

Cons

- have to sign up for an account card to get discount off the store
    - management not helpful, unwilling to help colleagues when they are phoned, generally cannot be bothered unless they want to criticize and embarrass you in front of customers and other members of staff
    - no communication between management & staff, promotions and info about new stock not given to most staff which doesnt help when talking to customers
    - tons of complaints about the buy & collect service and the website
    - people not taught properly in induction so things either dont get done, passed over to someone else or forgotten about
    - rarely get productivity, barely any customers in the daytime unless they are returning large amounts of goods. you're disciplined on this, for not reaching productivity and selling of cards targets
    - give out disciplinaries for petty reasons
    - having to sell account cards, very difficult and just luck if you happen to get someone to say yes, say they don't pressurize people into selling them or encourage people to get them but they do

a bit of respect goes a long way