Housing Works

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Charles King

was good despite the shadiness

Key Holder (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros-helping a community
    -feeling connected to the customers
    -high turnover of merchandise
    -access to one of a kind items

ConsUNORGANIZED
    UNORGANIZED
    UNORGANIZED!!!
    Most of the executive management were all failures at their previous jobs and come to Housing Works to prove a they aren't. They expect growth without doing anything different or new.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat your employees better
    contribute useful ideas to the company so it can grow

A great mission and community but be ready for intense, sometimes unsupported goals.

Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat mission, interaction with community you serve and decent benefits. If you are an independent personality that likes to be creative you may see some success.

ConsWork-life balance can be difficult in leadership positions, high turnover rates of employees and rash decision making can make things seem out of control.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay closer attention to personal development of successful employees that will in turn help you grow and reduce high turnover rates.

Incompetent, emotional manager

ProsHelping out the HIV/AIDS clients was rewarding, as well as the creativity of the marketing department.

ConsVery low pay, as expected of a nonprofit. Manager who was bad at managing people and gave extra work that didn't contribute to any reasonable end goal or result.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This is a wonderful company to be part of

Case Management (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsWonderful, supportive HR staff
    Great benefits
    Diverse Staff
    Everybody is relaxed and real, people are working toward great goals and trying to have fun while doing it
    not a fake, stubborn, overly formal environment- I love it!

ConsLack of growth and development-it's pretty much impossible to be promoted and move up
    Insecure office-things get stolen all the time
    Low morale

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more money into HR staff, it is horrible to watch these people burned out like that. It does not seem like senior staff understands the importance of HR. And maybe, if they had more people in that department, they could fix the problem I mentioned?

To muchs stress

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all I'll leave it that. Beware though.

ConsLacks communication and diversity at top management. There is a serious mission creep at this place and not room for growth if you're not liked there are better places to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHouse cleaning has to be done at the top level and hustling clients into services you don't provide isn't good.

Great coworkers, Horrible upper management

Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsCoworkers, donors, employee discount, healthcare benefits

ConsAs the other reviews stated, if upper management doesn't like you, beware. They will set you up to fail, they will blame you for things that are not within your job responsibility, they will write you up for petty things, they will spread rumors about you and blame others when confronted about it, and they will do anything in their power to try and make you quit. If you don't quit, they will fire you and they will try to prevent you from getting unemployment (even though they inevitably won't be able to prevent you from getting unemployment because they fired you for no real reason other than they didn't like you).
    I was a manager and witnessed this happen to several of my staff members. When I refused to cooperate with writing staff members up for "offenses" that were either petty or fabricated, I became their target.
    This place is bad news. There is no regard for creating a happy workplace with happy employees, and that will be the downfall of this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementHousing Works upper management should read the reviews on glassdoor...there's a reason so many current and former employees are saying such similar things. Things need to change, the stores could be even more successful than they are, employees need to be treated with respect.

Housing Works provides excellent services to its clients.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe best part of working at HW was interacting with other employees and contributing to a wonderful mission.

ConsThe Executive Director Charles King was extremely controlling and although he espoused management by consensus, this could not be further from the truth. Employees became a slave to the organization. If an employee did not want to take part in advocacy, he/she would be penalized on their performance review. Personally, I did not agree with the philosophy of harm reduction as it related to drugs and alcohol. In order to get well from the disease of addiction one must abstain, not be taught how to budget your money so you have enough money for heroin and food.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart really listening to your employees and clients!

High stress when it shouldn't be

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsYour coworkers are generally good people.
    Surprisingly good benefits. (PTO, health care)
    For the retail aspect, it's pretty well paying. For anything else, you should try to get out.

ConsIf management hates you, they really hate you. They don't like to be wrong and if they are threatened by you, they will do whatever it takes to keep you in the same position.
    Upper management is completely inept.
    Pay checks bounced.

Doesn't pay employees on time....BEWARE!

ProsMore lax environment where you can come and go more easier than other places. This can also be a big con when trying to communicate with staff and move work tasks forward.

ConsDoesn't pay employees consistently, high stress, poor base salaries, poor healthcare package, poor management, lack of basic job amenities like direct deposit.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees work so hard for so little money the least you could do is pay them every two weeks.

The only reason you should work for HW because you have no other options!

Merchandiser (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey offer an exceptional benefit package if you are willing to spend a few extra bucks out of your pocket.

ConsThe management team can never agree on goals and procedures; decisions constantly shifts, just like the employees: 4 District Managers within one year period. When complaints come up, they get ignored; when things breaks to the point becoming hazardous, nor repairs or mendings take place until someone gets hurt. It is the perfect example of survival of the fetus. If you have complaints, it will go one deaf ears to the point that you will soon learn the motto within the HW employees, "who cares, did you forget, this is housing works?!?"

Advice to Senior ManagementChain of commends: a way of evaluation without company favoritism or politics; better policy management; better training.

Worked for Housing Works? Contribute to the Community!