Houston Methodist

Houston Methodist Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Houston Methodist President & CEO Marc Boom

Marc Boom

Pros:
  • "Great benefits and great people to work with"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Big system with a lot of resources and investment into their employees"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Decision making is hampered by upper management roadblocks"
    in 5 reviews
  • "High turnover, inexperienced management and charge nurses"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Our ICARE values are not just words on a wall

RN IV (Current Employee)

I have been working at Houston Methodist full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI have been a nurse since I was 19 years old and have worked in hospitals all around the country. Houston Methodist Willowbrook has been the place I have stayed and made my work home. Every hospital will tell you their mission and values, and has pretty words on the wall. Here at Willowbrook we actually live these values every day. It is apparent from the moment you walk in and it permeates the building. I specifically work in the ICU and CVCU and both of the units work as teams, helping each other, and never allowing a fellow nurse to "drown". We are a Magnet designated hospital, the first of the community hospitals to achieve this and a huge source of pride for us.
Any place can offer you a job; Houston Methodist Willowbrook will offer you a career, and a fulfilling professional journey.

ConsI used to believe I was missing out on the "action" by working in a community hospital and not in the medical center. However, I firmly believe my hospital is just as capable of caring for the acute patient as any other area hospital. When my family or I need medical care, I come here. There really are no cons I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease never stop offering the opportunities for growth we now enjoy. My career trajectory has skyrocketed since I began working here in 2006, and much of what I've been able to achieve is because of the support of the management and leadership here. I also appreciate the flexibility I enjoy from my current Director in making my own schedule and keeping my own hours - he trusts me to do my job and because of that, I try never to disappoint him.

I love my job!

Surgical Assistant (Current Employee)
Baytown, TX

I have been working at Houston Methodist full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI work with excellent co-workers who are proud of the things done daily to help patients and their families feel welcome. My managers are very flexible as far as when I need time off or have a sick child and can't come in. They work with me and that is so helpful on many levels!

ConsAs with any job there are cons... I could always use a little extra $$. As cost of living increases, I wish our pay scale would do the same. There's sometimes one in the bunch whos negatiavity is catchy and spreads easily.

Good place to work

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at Houston Methodist full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe benefits are good, they offer tuition reimbursement

ConsI think management should have a clinical professional background because non licensed managers do not have any point of reference when "managing" licensed personnel. In other words Methodist sometimes hires business degreed managers who have no idea or respect for the context or safety guidelines under which licensed professionals have to practice.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat others the way you would want to be treated

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome

RN, MedSurg (Current Employee)

I have been working at Houston Methodist full-time for more than 3 years

ProsICARE values; patient safety and well-being as highest priority; magnet status.

Conssalary less compared to other hospitals

Average Company to work with

Registered Nurse (Former Employee)

I worked at Houston Methodist full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDecent Salary, Nice environment, Conducive work hours. No overtime. Cafeteria very diverse

ConsUnreal expectations to work loads.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop gossiping to fellow workers and indulging details that are confidential concerning peers.

Great place to work but rife with politics.

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Houston Methodist full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits. Flexible working hours. Lots of opportunities

ConsPolitics at the Unit Director and VP levels border on the insane (and frequently childish) and impact the quality of every employee's experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnock down the silos once and for all. When you do, don't allow Scanlon, Walsh, and their cronies to build them back up again. (As usual.)

Houston Methodist is a solid healthcare institution.

IT Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Houston Methodist full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe IT department is cautious about hiring too many IT professionals at once. In doing so it provides a more secure work environment, eliminating the worry of losing a job due to lack of projects.

ConsI do not have any Cons to state.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job, keep it up.

I hope to make it a career

Admitting Representative (Current Employee)
Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Houston Methodist full-time for less than a year

ProsFriendly co-workers, bonuses, great benefits

ConsNot as much room for growth like they promise. Once in a position it's yours unless you vocally admit to wanting to move forward. Hard work isn't recognized all that much.

Great company to work with

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee)

I have been working at Houston Methodist full-time for more than a year

ProsGood Place to work with. Very friendly senior management. Houston Methodist have a great culture and values. The management indeed have reasonable level of interaction with their employees. The employee there are very friendly and polite to each other

ConsNot a lot of information for career development for scientist. They have a big research institute but not a lot of talent to support the whole facilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the diversity of the employee and look more for the employee's needs

Unprofessional Ethics

IT Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Houston Methodist as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGood lies, and working hard will have management give you false hopes, and terminate and escort you out like your a criminal.

ConsHR and management don't have any iCare values,micromanaged, heartless selfish group.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice your iCare values on Contractors, and be honest.

Worked for Houston Methodist? Contribute to the Community!

Houston Methodist Videos

Houston Methodist – Why Work for Us?

Performs at 100%. Respected at 200%. At Houston Methodist, nurses develop their skills through a wide range of educational programs, collaborate with physicians to provide the best care and build upon a world-class… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Houston Methodist reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Houston Methodist CEO Marc Boom. All 101 reviews posted anonymously by Houston Methodist employees.