Houston Methodist

Houston Methodist Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Houston Methodist President & CEO Marc Boom

Marc Boom

Pros
  • Great benefits and great people to work with(in 13 reviews)

• Big system with a lot of resources and investment into their employees(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Decision making is hampered by upper management roadblocks(in 5 reviews)

• High turnover, inexperienced management and charge nurses(in 3 reviews)

Leading Medicine, Leading Nursing

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsVery strong employee pride, treats employees fairly, many opportunities to advance, free gym for all employees, benefits are great. The medical care provided here is the best in the world, the doctors are wonderful. It is a fantastic, values driven, faith based organization that truly makes its employees feel cared about.

ConsWorking in the medical center has challenges and living inside the loop is expensive, extensive growth and moving forward can be challenging, lots of very tenured employees (20+ years) can be challenging in adapting to change. Many nurses go on to pursue advanced degrees and move up, the people you work with changes very frequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to keep employees informed and in the loop, pay could be better for nurses given the status of the facility, in addition it would be nice to have more tuition reimbursement available given the focus on education.

Work in methodist

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsSalary and environment and benefit

Conspromotion and life-time balance and benefit

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow how to do research

Good, knowledgeable co-workers

ProsSome of the best people I have had the pleasure to work with. Many very talented people.

ConsHierarchy between staff, management, and beyond is strongly enforced. Perks are very few.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best place to work.

Cashier (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe opportunity for career options, the loving and caring environment and the employees.

ConsI bit overwhelming but worth it.

Advice to Senior Managementto listen to their workers and to more as a unit.

Acute Care Rehabilitation

Physical Therapy (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood staff who cares about employees. Low turnover in PT

ConsNot much other than you have to park in a remote parking lot and take the bus or train to work adding another 12 minutes to and from work commute each day

Advice to Senior Managementnothing at the moment

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Do not Work Here

Anesthesia Technician (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsYou get a paycheck every two weeks.

ConsEverything else- Salary is not competitive, lack of communication, and management does not know what they are doing.

it the best company and staff that have ever worked for.

Painter/Maintenance (Current Employee) Baytown, TX

Prosthe best things about working for houston methodist is your co wokers, leadership, and the benefits.

Conssometimes it feels like your directorshold you back from moving up. it is like they have their comfort zone and don't want to change

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate one on one with the employees more. to many times employees are scared to talk with upper mangement.

if you are minority go elsewhere

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Proslots of food choices and starbucks everywhere

Consif you are minority do not expect to go far up past management. there some directors who are minority but very few. its easier to be caucasian with a bachelors degree and get a management job here than to be a minority with a MBA or MSN. Not sure why this place is so racist but its very noticeable.

Advice to Senior Managementhire more minority in management roles. the world is changing.

Great Place to work

Healthcare (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsPeople are friendly; education is plentiful. Senior Management listens.

ConsCompensation may not be at fair market value in some areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!!!

I love this place!! A very good place to work!!!

Registered Nurse, MedSurg (Current Employee) Sugar Land, TX

ProsVery warm environment to work, caring people around, Fertile soil to grow personally and professionally. Most of the managers are compassionate and willing to adjust the schedule to balance between the personal and professional life.

ConsSalary should be comparable to other places around

Advice to Senior ManagementWeekend differentials, better insurance etc. can be some of the things which should be considered for improvement

Worked for Houston Methodist? Contribute to the Community!