Houston Methodist Reviews

Updated August 24, 2014

3.6

Houston Methodist President & CEO Marc Boom
Marc Boom

Pros
  • Great benefits and great people to work with (in 13 reviews)

• Big system with a lot of resources and investment into their employees (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Decision making is hampered by upper management roadblocks (in 5 reviews)

• High turnover, inexperienced management and charge nurses (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX

I worked at Houston Methodist full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunities to better employment and growth.

Cons

Armark management and Mthodist vision is not on the same accord

Leading Medicine, Leading Nursing

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Houston, TX

I have been working at Houston Methodist full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very strong employee pride, treats employees fairly, many opportunities to advance, free gym for all employees, benefits are great. The medical care provided here is the best in the world, the doctors are wonderful. It is a fantastic, values driven, faith based organization that truly makes its employees feel cared about.

Cons

Working in the medical center has challenges and living inside the loop is expensive, extensive growth and moving forward can be challenging, lots of very tenured employees (20+ years) can be challenging in adapting to change. Many nurses go on to pursue advanced degrees and move up, the people you work with changes very frequently.

Continue to keep employees informed and in the loop, pay could be better for nurses given the status of the facility, in addition it would be nice to have more tuition reimbursement available given the focus on education.

Acute Care Rehabilitation

Current Employee - Physical Therapy  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Physical Therapy in Houston, TX

I have been working at Houston Methodist full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good staff who cares about employees. Low turnover in PT

Cons

Not much other than you have to park in a remote parking lot and take the bus or train to work adding another 12 minutes to and from work commute each day

nothing at the moment

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

it the best company and staff that have ever worked for.

Current Employee - Painter/Maintenance  in  Baytown, TX
    Current Employee - Painter/Maintenance in Baytown, TX

I have been working at Houston Methodist full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

the best things about working for houston methodist is your co wokers, leadership, and the benefits.

Cons

sometimes it feels like your directorshold you back from moving up. it is like they have their comfort zone and don't want to change

communicate one on one with the employees more. to many times employees are scared to talk with upper mangement.

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Healthcare  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Healthcare in Houston, TX

I have been working at Houston Methodist full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

People are friendly; education is plentiful. Senior Management listens.

Cons

Compensation may not be at fair market value in some areas.

Keep up the great work!!!

I love this place!! A very good place to work!!!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse, MedSurg  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse, MedSurg in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Houston Methodist part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very warm environment to work, caring people around, Fertile soil to grow personally and professionally. Most of the managers are compassionate and willing to adjust the schedule to balance between the personal and professional life.

Cons

Salary should be comparable to other places around

Weekend differentials, better insurance etc. can be some of the things which should be considered for improvement

A company with strong values that recognizes the contributions of it's employees

I have been working at Houston Methodist full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Houston Methodist provides a work environment that is challenging and rewarding. Employees have the opportunity to work autonomously and have a voice in the decision-making process

Cons

As a health care institution, Houston Methodist has experienced the same accelerrated pace of change as similar organizations across the nation. This can be difficult for employees as they respond to change.

Conitue exhibiting the transformational leadership abilities that have shaped the organization to be one of the best places to work.

I love my job!

Current Employee - Surgical Assistant  in  Baytown, TX
    Current Employee - Surgical Assistant in Baytown, TX

I have been working at Houston Methodist full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I work with excellent co-workers who are proud of the things done daily to help patients and their families feel welcome. My managers are very flexible as far as when I need time off or have a sick child and can't come in. They work with me and that is so helpful on many levels!

Cons

As with any job there are cons... I could always use a little extra $$. As cost of living increases, I wish our pay scale would do the same. There's sometimes one in the bunch whos negatiavity is catchy and spreads easily.

Our ICARE values are not just words on a wall

Current Employee - RN IV  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - RN IV in Houston, TX

I have been working at Houston Methodist full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been a nurse since I was 19 years old and have worked in hospitals all around the country. Houston Methodist Willowbrook has been the place I have stayed and made my work home. Every hospital will tell you their mission and values, and has pretty words on the wall. Here at Willowbrook we actually live these values every day. It is apparent from the moment you walk in and it permeates the building. I specifically work in the ICU and CVCU and both of the units work as teams, helping each other, and never allowing a fellow nurse to "drown". We are a Magnet designated hospital, the first of the community hospitals to achieve this and a huge source of pride for us.
    Any place can offer you a job; Houston Methodist Willowbrook will offer you a career, and a fulfilling professional journey.

Cons

I used to believe I was missing out on the "action" by working in a community hospital and not in the medical center. However, I firmly believe my hospital is just as capable of caring for the acute patient as any other area hospital. When my family or I need medical care, I come here. There really are no cons I can think of.

Please never stop offering the opportunities for growth we now enjoy. My career trajectory has skyrocketed since I began working here in 2006, and much of what I've been able to achieve is because of the support of the management and leadership here. I also appreciate the flexibility I enjoy from my current Director in making my own schedule and keeping my own hours - he trusts me to do my job and because of that, I try never to disappoint him.

Good place to work

I have been working at Houston Methodist full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The benefits are good, they offer tuition reimbursement

Cons

I think management should have a clinical professional background because non licensed managers do not have any point of reference when "managing" licensed personnel. In other words Methodist sometimes hires business degreed managers who have no idea or respect for the context or safety guidelines under which licensed professionals have to practice.

Treat others the way you would want to be treated

Worked for Houston Methodist? Contribute to the Community!