Houzz Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
52 reviews filtered by
4.7
Adi Tatarko

Pros
  • People - I love coming to work each day and the people are awesome (in 4 reviews)

• Additionally, the company cultivates several opportunities for growth potential (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • However, keep in mind this is a fast paced and quick growing company (in 3 reviews)

• Palo Alto is incredibly expensive to live in, so it's difficult to get a place really close to the office (in 3 reviews)

1. The reviews are true!

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've probably had over 30 jobs in my life and never liked any of them. A friend recruited me to work at houzz and I will be forever thankful. The company is AMAZING and truly cares about all of their employees. There are contests with gift card prizes, unlimited supply of food in the kitchen, incredible room for growth and the people that they hire are the best out there. The hours are flexible, you decide when you come in and leave as long as it amounts to 40 hours a week. It is an early office so I tend to get in at 6 AM which is great because I can leave by 2:30 PM and still have my whole day ahead of me. They're flexible with vacation days and don't mind if you take a few more than you're supposed to as long as you hit your goals. This is the first job in my life that I really can see myself working for forever. I thought the reviews were too good to be true and they most certainly aren't. The company culture is what makes this job as perfect as it is.

Cons

The pay is low for me personally but reasonable for recent college graduates.

Keep up the great work! Also, it would be great to have a higher hourly wage especially since tax in California takes out such a big percentage of our pay.

Growing, growing, growing...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Houzz

Pros

The flat org gives me a sense of impact and we all work pretty closely with the co-founder.

Cons

Sometimes I get jealous of some of the perks that other mid-sized start ups have. Great food in DTPA, but a pain to go out for lunch and wait in line. Would be great to have more selection of drinks in the office and/or lunch provided.

When I was offered the job, I didn't think there was the best representation of the company via the recruiter. For such a high tech, fast paced company, you would think they would put fourth their best of the best from the recruiting team. There is an older gentleman there that is recruiting and if it were based on my contact with him, I probably wouldn't have taken the job.

Best company I've ever worked for!!! Seriously!

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love working here because they are so nice, helpful, willing to teach you to be amazing at your job, it's an environment that rewards you for doing well and guides you when you're struggling. I really enjoy all of my coworkers, because the interview process was so long and thorough, all of us have similar ideas about success and what drives us. It's a competitive work environment, but most of the time I'm competing with my own personal goals. Need more motivation in your wallet? The commission is amazing, there are contest all the time and so many opportunities to make money, win cool things, or go on trips. This company does not skimp on employee satisfaction. It's just great to finally work at a place that respects you, and makes you feel worth it, emotionally and financially.

Before I started working at Houzz I saw all of these reviews and though, "There's no way these are all real." And then I started working here and realized, oh man, it really is a dream job. Work hard and get rewarded, isn't that the way it should be?

Cons

Early mornings, the most productive hours to get in are between 6-7am. Which means 5am wake up calls, but you build your own schedule so it's up to you how early you want to come in.

Just keep up the good work!

Potential for a Salesperson

Former Employee - Account Executive in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Irvine, CA

I worked at Houzz full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is definitely the potential to earn A LOT with this job. Meals are provided certain days of the week and there is a fully stocked kitchen. Friendly employees. The company spends lots of time training and investing in employees.

Cons

Typical cubical environment. Early hours, think 6am. That also doesn't necessarily mean that you will leave early either - there are meetings frequently scheduled that run until past 4pm. Your day is pretty much packed full with scheduled calls or "warm calling", which frequently feels more like cold calling, and don't expect to always be able to have a break for lunch. It's a little hard to get to know your coworkers, as you barely have any time to talk to them. Management keeps a very close watch on their team. The interview process is very lengthy, 4-5 interviews long, and it seems like they spend more time talking about the perks instead of the reality of the position.

Stop asking questions about high school in interviews and be more upfront with applicants about what the job really entails. It seems like the perks are there to cover up the fact that the job is not necessarily one that many people would be happy doing.

i work for Houzz!

I have been working at Houzz full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy being an Account Executive at Houzz for many reasons. One is that you truly control your income. No bar is too high...in fact, the more your produce, the more support you get to produce more. The company is interested in helping our pros get more business. I love the fact that I'm selling and helping out seriously talented professionals throughout the county is extremely rewarding. I felt like I was set up for success from the beginning. Even when I have moments of doubt there is a network of support within my team and throughout the entire office. That support comes in the form of positive works, gift card contests, and sometimes even tasty breakfast & lunch!

Cons

It's hard to get noticed as an individual and the promotion path is pretty fuzzy. It seems a little like a who you know type of path.

I enjoy hearing more about where we are going and what we are doing as a company, but I wish the smaller division meetings were focused on different parts of the sale. I feel as if we do go over the same points/analogies/sales tips consistently. Variety is the spice of life!

The Best Inside Sales Job - Anywhere!

I have been working at Houzz full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I could go on and on about all the reasons why I love working here. I've had a lot of jobs in my life, and nothing holds a candle to Houzz. Some of the highlights...

-EARNING POTENTIAL. Not only will you make $100,000 by selling at target, but top performers make much, much more. I think one AE made about $160,000 this year! To think that I will take home over $100,000 this year by spending the work day talking to professionals who are happy to hear from me, amongst colleagues I love, in the best office environment imaginable is truly humbling. There is no other place like this!

-Generous bonuses and contests. There are frequently sales contests being run that will get you gift cards to Fashion Island, Target, etc. or help to significantly pad your paycheck.

-THE PEOPLE! I have the best coworkers, bar none. I would hang out with 99% of my colleagues outside of work, and we do - prepare for your social circle to explode once you work here, because you'll become friends with everyone you meet. Everyone here is that hard to find combination of down to earth, incredibly smart, articulate, and really cool, all at the same time.

-Upward mobility. Houzz is growing fast, and they promote from within. Whether it's going the track of Senior Account Executive, or getting into management as a Team Lead or Sales Manager, the opportunities are here. Most people are getting promoted around the 1 year mark. Getting promoted with a start up like this means writing your own ticket.

-Full benefits! Dental, vision, healthcare and great plans at that.

-Incredible upper management. I can't say one bad thing about any of our executive team - the founders (CEO and President) truly inspire you to do your best, the VP of Sales is the most motivating, morale-boosting executive you'll ever meet, and the new Director of Sales is fantastic as well. What they all have in common is that they care about each individual employee and you don't feel like a number punching the clock. They are truly vested in your success.

-Stock option eligibility after one year of full time employment.

-Unlimited vacation (assuming you are meeting or exceeding performance expectations).

-Breakfast and lunch brought in weekly, sometimes more!

-Office is state of the art and beautiful, and the technology is great - everyone gets an iMac to work on.

Cons

I wouldn't even call these cons, necessarily, but getting in early is a must. I'm not a morning person by any means, but what would you prefer - get in at 6-6:30am and make $100k, or roll in at 9am somewhere else and make half that?

Keep up the great work! I couldn't have dreamt up a better career and environment.

8. Best company to work for!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They truly care about your growth and invest in you as a person. They want you to grow long term with the company. Houzz treats their employees very well with lunches and fun social events but it's more than that. It's the culture and friendly atmosphere that makes coming into work every day enjoyable. With a great product to stand behind, work at Houzz has been the best experience.

Cons

It is a start up so there are a lot of changes and occasional lack of communication

I Love My Job!!!

I have been working at Houzz full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have been working as an Account Executive in our Irvine office for 7 months now and it is the best job I have ever had. When I started my job search a few things were very important to me when looking at my options: office environment, growth potential, and compensation. Houzz has exceeded my hopes in all three of these areas. The office environment is so positive and inviting. I am excited to come to work everyday and spend my time with my amazing coworkers and management. From the start, my manager and team lead have constantly been working with me at not only helping me improve in my current position but looking into my future at Houzz as well. I really feel confident that I will grow with Houzz for years to come. Lastly, we are given a very competitive salary as well as commission. We are constantly have selling incentives and are rewarded with gift cards, trips, etcs.

Cons

I have no complaints, I couldn't be happier

Keep doing what you are doing. You're the best!

Great Culture; Questionable Processes

I have been working at Houzz full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People; culture; company generosity towards employees, flexible hours, great benefits

Cons

as a start up in their growing pains, gears are constantly shifting, can be difficult to adjust if this work environment does not fit your lifestyle

Its understandable that priorities constantly shift but find a way to trickle messages and "why's" behind why we are being asked to tackle on more at a time or make something new a priority to get everyone on the same page. Everyone is motivated and go getters but everyone needs to COMMUNICATE in the larger scheme of things.

Getting big, losing soul

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Houzz as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Palo Alto office has a great staff, creative work place and valued their people and well-being. Friday lunches and birthday celebrations.

Cons

Irvine office has a very strange completely different vibe thats shadier, sales driven, not as people oriented. Expected to be in early and beat your colleagues, not work with them.

Palo Alto should send some love down to Irvine. It's a totally different experience between locations.