Houzz Reviews

Reset
4.5
Houzz Chief Executive Officer Adi Tatarko
Adi Tatarko

Pros
  • The people I work with are a huge part of what makes coming to work every day truly enjoyable (in 4 reviews)

• Growth Opportunities: Houzz is growing very quickly - so there are tons of opportunities for growth (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • However, keep in mind this is a fast paced and quick growing company (in 3 reviews)

• Palo Alto is incredibly expensive to live in, so it's difficult to get a place really close to the office (in 3 reviews)

Love the team and the environment

I have been working at Houzz full-time

Pros

This is a great place for self-motivated engineers - everyone here has have the freedom to take a project and run with it. The hiring bar has been kept very high, and the team here is strongest I've worked with over my 10+ year career in the Valley. It's an amazing time to be part of a product that is simultaneously growing into commerce and expanding to dozens of countries over the next year.

Cons

Palo Alto is a beautiful town, but it is expensive. Our offices are getting a bit tight, but I've heard that we'll be getting more space nearby soon.

Houzz engineering team

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Houzz

Pros

People:
    Working with very intelligent, capable and motivated engineers. At Houzz, I got to know some of the best engineers I ever worked with, unlike some arrogant tech gurus I met in other places, Houzz engineers are friendly, fun, open minded, willing to share and help. It has been a great opportunity to learn from others while contributing to the team.

Founders are impressively capable people, they know what they are doing.

Engineering process:
     Lean and flat organization, very low overhead, not many meetings.

Product/Growth
    Cool product that is useful to tens of millions of users, people at Houzz take pride in products they work on. It might sound a little cheesy, but it is quite rewarding when my friends, or total strangers told me how useful Houzz site or app is when they learned I work at Houzz. There is also a sense of accomplishment to help build and grow a great cause, which still has a lot of potential.

Cons

This is not necessarily a con, it is just personal preference.
    Engineering organization is very flat, there is no multi layer structure. If you are looking for people manager opportunity within Houzz engineering, at least at this moment, there is not much.

Houzz is my family

Current Employee - Sales in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The worst thing is when you do not respect your coworkers or you're having to carry their weight. That is not the case with Houzz! You work independently (sales role) but within a close-knit, team environment. Its not easy to find a company with so many motivated individuals. The energy makes you want to do better, and the fun people are reason enough to show up everyday.

Amazing incentives to do your job and overall great pay!
    5 stars on all the below:
    - compensation!
    - effective materials and sales planning
    - clear expectations
    - promotions, opportunities for growth
    - Co-workers / managers that care
    - They recruit your friends and you develop new friendships
    - constant learning: team huddles, workshops etc.

Cons

If you don't like hard work then you wont like this job: you have to push yourself and be self motivating.

Advice to Management

Don't promote solely based on performance or tenure but rather on management ability and a desire to lead and help others.

Fun, Fast-Paced, and Fulfilling! Bringing PIZZAZZ TO THE OC!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Houzz has been the cornerstone of my career. I could not have asked for a better organization to work for! Houzz has invested in my growth has an employee and taken me to the next level in my career.

- Excellent pay
    - Fun people
    - Open communication
    - Collaborative environment
    - Coaching and mentoring available
    - Comfortable and stimulating office atmosphere - not just your beige walls and brown cubicles
    - Rewards for activity and performance
    - Ample opportunities for promotion
    - Competitive but not vicious
    - Fast-growing Tech Company = No Brainer

Cons

Patience is key. This was my first experience working for a start-up company and was not used to the bare-bones infrastructure, frequent changes and growth. At the end of the day, I realized that this is what made it more fun and kept the days interesting. Not your traditional corporate job and I'm thankful for that.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring and promoting management.

The best company in the Silicon Valley!

I have been working at Houzz full-time

Pros

You get to work with the best people in the bay area. Smart, humble and fun. Home improvement and design is a big industry and while building the technology for it we make millions of people all over the world very happy. When people hear that I work at Houzz they are very excited. We develop a product that people truly love. It can't get better than that. I learn a lot both professionally and personally from the smart people that I work with. I told my friends that they should join- some did and they are truly happy.

Cons

We are growing fast so people need to get used to the scale. You need to be ready for it and love being part of something that is growing so fast.

Advice to Management

Keep protecting our amazing culture. Don't lose it as we grow.

Perks

I have been working at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Here are the benefits of working at Houzz on the sales team):

Working with awesome design professionals
    Warm leads (pros really love Houzz)
    Fully stocked kitchen
    Contests, trips, prizes
    Awesome compensation plan
    Latest equipment (Apple Computers)
    Company events
    Tech startup environment
    Favorite dessert, balloons, and gift on your birthday!
    Changes get implemented quickly
    Fashionable dress code
    Work alongside the best and brightest
    Look at beautiful photos all day long
    Fun office
    Everyone you meet is jealous that you work here

Cons

It's a tech startup, so changes are implemented fast.

(I've worked for Fortune 500 companies and government agencies that took years to implement even the most minor changes, so I view speed as a huge positive. But If you don't agree, then a startup environment may not be the best fit for you.)

Advice to Management

Keep growing fast...

But stay organized, keep the culture in tact, and continue to hire the best and the brightest!

...Because I love it here!

User experience and product are top priority

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you want to work in a company where product and user experience are always top priority, Houzz is an amazing place to work. While the business is doing very well too, the focus on creating a top notch user experience is always the most important thing. This is a very inspirational approach. You get to solve day to day problems of millions of people from all over the world.
    The team is extremely strong and people get to own their work. It is also a flat organization so no politics like in most other companies I worked for.

Cons

Lack of structure can be a challenge for some people. We need to make sure that these people get support from their more experienced Houzz peers.

Advice to Management

Love the company meetings and the transparency. The company event in Del Mar was amazing. Keep them coming.

9. Great sales Job

I have been working at Houzz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Warm Leads
    Wonderful community of professionals who are already using Houzz and love our platform to sell to
    Enlightened management who are totally positive and uplifting
    Smart cool co-workers
    The most beautiful office
    Great healthy food! The kitchen is larger than my last office
    Great pay. I earn over 110k, average is 90k
    Commissions paid every two weeks
    Monthly and quarterly bonuses.
    Trips several times a year, weekly incentives, team outings,
    Promotions are consistent and they promote the best performers, those who truly love to help others
    Senior management that gets it
    Stock for all employees after one year
    Great support staff
    All Mac office. Only the best tools
    Great building & location at Park Place
    Cool office with themed rooms, comfy hang out areas
    Weekly group lunch from the best restaurants.
    No one works past 3:30 so you have a life after work. I can go to the gym and happy hour!

Cons

You come in early and leave early but I like that. Your co-workers are very good so be ready to bring your best. Fast paced environment. So much growth you can't possibly remember everyone's name. Management is running hard so sometimes you have to be patient.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing
    Tuition reimbursement for grad school would be great.

Palo Alto engineers and editorial team should talk to us and get our input. We know this community more than anyone.

LOVE This Job!

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Houzz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Houzz has by far been my best work experience. I adore this company and everything the CEO and Founder are working towards. It is a privilege to represent the best product in the industry and be able to share that with professionals all across North America. It is nice to feel proud of what we are selling. The earning potential is pretty incredible, but it takes of hard work. Personally it is so rewarding to me to see my hard work translate into a very meaningful paycheck.
    Most top performers are well over $100K. So the hard work does pay off immensely. I am appreciative of this role not just for career development but personal as well. I have continually learned to navigate outside my comfort zone and grow as a person. I am much more adaptable and I have honestly made some life long friends. For that I will be forever grateful.

Over all this is a great company, amazing product, PHENOMENAL people, lots of perks, offers a lot of earning potential and flexible hours.

Cons

I do not necessarily see either of these as cons, but if you are not comfortable with this give the role serious thought. Early Hours (if you're not used to that, but on the flip side you leave early too), constant change so you need to be adaptable. Lots of calls which can be repetitive if you do not find ways to be creative with it. But at the end of the day the more you call, the more opportunity you create for yourself.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the open and honest communication. I am comfortable talking to anyone about where I am at and how I want to reach my goals. I feel that it has a very open door policy and I appreciate that. The managers genuinely seem to care about our well being despite how busy they are. I think the office would benefit from more leadership but it has been neat to see some of my colleagues get promoted already. I like that I am not micromanaged and am treated like an adult. I am trusted to get my job done and offered lots of coaching when necessary. I think management is doing a great job.

I love my job

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Houzz (Less than a year)

Pros

I never thought i'd love coming to work so much, let alone at the crack of dawn!! Amazing culture and work atmosphere, everyone is a go getter and is passionate about what they do. Great upward movement and leadership opportunities as well.
    Definitely apply and you'll love going to work everyday!

Cons

None that I can think of!

RSS Feed </> Embed