Howard County General Hospital

CEO

1. Job Review

Current Employee - Release of Information Specialist in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Release of Information Specialist in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Howard County General Hospital full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A great place to work

Cons

I have nothing for the moment

Advice to Management

Great

2. I worked in a support role for social work, and was satisfied with the pay.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Howard County General Hospital full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Many nice people, small town feel, very hard workers, dedicated.

Cons

The office was surprisingly behind in some technology. It took me several days to get someone from IT to come to fix my computer when I had an issue....and I primarily worked on the computer! My computer had not been updated for a very long time, which caused issues. Company values were high, leadership was mixed...our director left shortly after I started, and it took over 6 months to get another. In the meantime, anyone that knows social work, knows how they are always looking for help, and they worked hard and long! We would come up with reasons to celebrate lunch, and they were also great cooks!

Advice to Management

I am sure there have been changes since I left. My only advice is to think outside the box for answers. Change is always hard, but everyone adjusts eventually. The money driven healthcare environment is a problem for all. Overall, the upper management did fantastic during a horrible time.

3. It was a rewarding experience

Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Howard County General Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great benefits and safe and friendly atmosphere.

Cons

family oriented and being trained in everything related to my job

Advice to Management

keep up the good job

5. Inconsistent

Current Employee - Staff Nurse
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse

I have been working at Howard County General Hospital part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The staff is what makes this place run. There are good Techs, RN's, Pharmacists, PT's, and RT's, etc. Practitioners are also mostly helpful. They offer good training and good benefits, if you stick around long enough. The facility itself is newer and attractive. Unlike most hospitals in the area, it is in a suburban setting, so no stressful traffic or parking to navigate.

Cons

The management is not representative of the workforce. The workforce is largely minority, and there is almost no minority representation in lower, mid or upper management. In most situations, the management is not supportive of the employees. There is pressure to work overtime in understaffed areas (which are many) with overtime often "mandated". Meanwhile, no effort is made in employee retention. I have seen good people leave, with good reason. The management either doesn't care, or practically rolls out the red carpet. In every situation, these people have gone on to find much better employment. This is true in every department I have worked in.

Advice to Management

Hire minority management, preferably from within the company. Have the employees review the management (anonymously), and reward retention. Promote employee morale by being on their side (we can't tell whose side you are on, but it is not ours). Implement policies judiciously-i.e. bedside report is not always appropriate for the situation. Managers- if you can dish it (criticism of the staff) you need to take it (criticism from your staff). FYI-If you request vacation and it is approved, you should not have to find someone to cover "your weekend". That defeats the purpose of a vacation request. It should then be the management's responsibility to cover that time to give the employee some much needed rest.

6. Fantastic under the current President

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Howard County General Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very Friendly & Family-like atmosphere. Committed to Service and Excellent care. Vic encourages us to have our family members apply for jobs because he knows that makes the place stronger.

Cons

It can be hard to move to another dept. unless the job duty is the same.
    Because it is a hospital - even admin staff cannot wear open toe shoes or perfume.

Advice to Management

The President: Vic, is great and friendly and willing to hear anything -- plus he remembers all of our names! Some of the others -- the VP's, can be condesending and think only their opinions are valued and best. Can feel dismissive.

RN's are treated like trash

Current Employee - REG NURSE in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - REG NURSE in Columbia, MD

Pros

Have never seen employees who work so hard. Nurses and PCT's are friendly, helpful. Great team work! Employees bend over backwards for patients. Union in place for RN's. Caring for the sick is my passion and it is great to see patient's health improve and go home. Some new buildings, alot of waterfalls and fresh paint. Looks like a hotel.

Cons

Poor salary, staffing short ALL the time compromising patient care and safety. If you decide to work here, be prepared to do the work of MANY without recognition and then intimidated by management to take on even more. Not uncommon to see employees punch out and keep working off the clock, skipping meals (unpaid) and bathroom breaks, in order to meet management demands. Management says they are aware of this, yet nothing is done about adjusting patient load. Hospital runs on Press Ganey scores, eg patient satisfaction is the # 1 priority, more important than appropriate care. 30 cents an hour raise, if you are lucky, for working like a dog. RN's be prepared to do alot of tech work every day (yes this means cleaning up poo and changing beds, but better do it with a smile and get your medicine out on time or you will be called into talk with management.

Advice to Management

Work ONE day, (a full 13 hour day without breaks) on the floor alongside a PCT or RN. If you survive, you will understand what I wrote above. Otherwise, keep your head buried in the sand and your ass in a comfortable office chair while the rest of us are on the front line caring for the sick and dying.

Run away!!! This is an awful place to work, let alone bring your family members!!

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Columbia, MD

I worked at Howard County General Hospital

Pros

It is affiliated with Johns Hopkins, but do not be fooled!

Cons

The skill-set of both doctors and nurses are extremely poor!!

Advice to Management

Focus on the safety of the patients and not turning place into a resort as a priority. Patients deserve safety.

Little John's Hopkins Medicine not to be confused with a non subsidiary of Johns Hopkins medicine, Howard County General

Current Employee - OB Technician in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - OB Technician in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Howard County General Hospital

Pros

If you live in Howard county, it's close and they don't charge for parking. They treat Nurses pretty well, but still pay cheap.

Cons

Nursing support positions are Union positions, for the moment. The benefits package is minimal and not as good for nursing support as it is for the nurses, which are a strong, supportive collective bargaining unit. Nursing support is hardly appreciated and never recognized, despite gracious individual comments. Human resources will claim they are paying you at market pay and offering market benefits = not true. They are very cheap. Raises are nonexistant, some of the supports benefits are hidden or not revealed. No shift differentials exist, at least for day shift, shift diffs for even and night have been cut in half. No merit raise, no COL raise, No Raise! See, I told you it was nonexistant. Overtime worked to help out on the unit is overlooked. Slave drivers! Morale is low...

Advice to Management

Pay your Nursing support better and that will keep you from spending tons on agency techs whou are not full time employess.

10. very positive work experience

I have been working at Howard County General Hospital part-time (less than a year)

Pros

the people I work with are mostly very friendly and willing to help you out when needed.

Cons

no really cons, only wish I could get more hour.

Good - except for wait time and courtesy of the employees in the ER.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Howard County General Hospital

Pros

Love working with the people who need help.

Cons

Reputation of the ER does not look good when I tell others where I work.

Advice to Management

Don't get so hung up on degree's. Experience speaks for alot!