Howard Hughes Medical Institute Reviews

Reset
3.8
Howard Hughes Medical Institute President Robert Tjian
Robert Tjian

Pros
  • Great benefits package even though its gotten more expensive each year for the past few years (in 18 reviews)

• Most managers promote work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Career development is completely dependent on whether or not your supervisor supports your development (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management will tell you almost anything to keep you where you are and to convince you that you are not worth any promotion or raise (in 3 reviews)

1. Beautiful place to work

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Ashburn, VA

Pros

the working environment is awesome

Cons

Salary is not generous

Employee experience is heavily manager-dependent

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at Howard Hughes Medical Institute full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

HHMI is a company with great benefits and had an environment supportive of a work/life balance. Janelia Research Campus is a beautiful place to work and is filled with smart people who are doing interesting things, but not everyone raves about their work experience or growth opportunities. I've personally had sufficient opportunities for advancement that I've stuck around for a while, but most of that is because the managers I've worked for cared about me.

Cons

There are too many managers, and some of them seem to create obstacles for the people under them instead of removing them so they can perform to their full potential. There's a lack of trust and effective communication between and within some departments that really hinders progress on some long-term projects.

Advice to Management

Get out of the way. It's not about you any more. You should be doing everything you can to help the people who work for you to excel and to build their careers. If you can do that, it'll pay off for you, as well.

Postdocs at HHMI

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL

I have been working at Howard Hughes Medical Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

HHMI gives a good benefit package, they have a very good support system for the postdoctoral research associates as they call them associates.

Cons

You are not allowed to have any other income source other than HHMI. Because my salary is from HHMI, my host institution charge me for parking permit twice as much as regular postdocs whose salaries are from other grants.

Advice to Management

Postdocs have already made sacrifices in their PhD, low salary, long hours, professor drama etc. Please treat them with more respect and salaries commensurate of their expertise. Salaries below $50K is laughable.

5. I worked for 'hhmi for about 2 years.

Former Employee - Human Resources Administrative Assistant in Chevy Chase, MD
    Former Employee - Human Resources Administrative Assistant in Chevy Chase, MD

I worked at Howard Hughes Medical Institute (More than a year)

Pros

Great medical , dental and vision benefits!

Cons

Need to have a campus in San Jose, CA.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management.

Research Specialist

Former Employee - Research Specialist in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Research Specialist in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Howard Hughes Medical Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Seamless onboarding to my research position at Princeton University!

Cons

Salary on the low side.

7. Best post-doc benefits

Current Employee - Research Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Howard Hughes Medical Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are markedly better than most other post-docs. Although some things have been cut back, like the 5% retirement contribution, it is still an upgrade from most University appointed positions. Better and cheaper health care, benefits credits, little perks here and there. It ends up adding an effective $5k to your salary, which as a post-doc is significant.

Cons

They could still do better. They could have an official and enforceable holiday/vacation/sick policy for post-docs and otherwise treat a post-doc as an actual job and not "training".

Advice to Management

Stop cutting things back!

good

Current Employee - Research Technician III in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Research Technician III in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at Howard Hughes Medical Institute full-time

Pros

Plenty of budget. Good building, good benefit. On site daycare.

Cons

Lower salary increase. Unclear process of promotion.

Interest institute

Current Employee - Research Associate in Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Howard Hughes Medical Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are lots of smart colleagues around you. And, you will have the chance to celebrate Nobel Prize awarded to your lab. Very good medical benefits.

Cons

Paid too low to postdoc researchers. Paid too low to postdoc researchers. Paid too low to postdoc researchers. That is the most disadvantage part.

Advice to Management

More salary. More salary. More salary. It is so important that I must reply it for 3 times.

10. Unique research environment at Janelia research campus

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Associate in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Associate in Ashburn, VA

Pros

Very unique environment in janelia hhmi research campus, in which you have a lot of freedom to talk and share with people at any time. Also money is never dried out. If you need something and can convince your PI, Janelia will buy it for you no matter what the price is.

Cons

Because janelia PIs do not care about the number of publications but do care more quality of publication, it is risky and taking longer time for postdocs, who need to get papers and job as soon as possible. Also janelia does not allow postdoc to apply for a government fellowship such as K99, which could be a huge advantage when apply a faculty job.

11. Great non-profit institute!

Current Employee - Research Associate
    Current Employee - Research Associate

Pros

Great non-profit institute! Very nice staff, great insurance!

Cons

Can't think of any right now

RSS Feed </> Embed