Howard Rice Nemerovski Canady Falk & Rabkin

1 Rating

Now Arnold & Porter

Former Employee - Former Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Former Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Howard Rice Nemerovski Canady Falk & Rabkin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I really liked the people I worked with. We had a great staff and got along well. I had good opportunities to grow in my profession under some executive directors.

Cons

My last manager was too hands off and did not want to deal with difficult problems. The company values also seemed to change with each change at the executive director level.

Do not trim your staff to bare bones levels when times are difficult.

legal analyst

Current Employee - Legal Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Legal Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Howard Rice Nemerovski Canady Falk & Rabkin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

people were nice, small firm, benefits were good, compensation was fair

Cons

merged with another firm and got rid of most of us

Anonymous Review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Howard Rice Nemerovski Canady Falk & Rabkin

Pros

The people at Howard Rice make are great to work with. The Firm tends to attract and hire people that are on average easy to work with and socially compatible.

Cons

The size of the firm makes it feel unstable. There have been a series of stealth layoffs of staff and attorneys as well as a public 10% reduction of staff. Management presents slides at the retreats and all hands meetings that reflect a rosy outlook, but its seems as though the Firm has to make significant cost cuts to continue to make their PPPs.

To communicate better with attorneys and staff. Senior management also needs to have a mission statement and let people know what direction they are taking the Firm.

Management Changes Negatively Affect Employee Morale, Retention

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Howard Rice Nemerovski Canady Falk & Rabkin

Pros

The firm has a history of doing good social activism work, including successfully representing the City of San Francisco in the recent Gay Marriage case at the California Supreme Court. Individual attorneys and individual staff members are supremely competent, caring, and motivated. Benefits are moderately good to good (retirement, health, PTO, profit sharing). There is the potential for broad exposure to many areas of law and law practice. Historically, staff members have chosen to stay for many years, with great stability and cameraderie, and training for junior clerical/legal secretarial staff has been exemplary, though this is changing. Lovely offices in Embarcadero Center.

Cons

This firm used to have a history of treating employees well and retaining them for years, even decades. Recent management changes and the first-ever layoffs of November 2007 have significantly altered the company atmosphere, to where long-term employees are looking to jump ship and short-term employees have no intention of staying longer than they have to. Attorney/staff divisions are great; company goals seem to prioritize attorney billing rates and pay over staff pay, benefits, or quality of work/life. This is not a happy place to work and unless managing attorneys and human resources change direction, it will not be improving soon.

Your business runs on your support staff, so stop screwing them.

Management treats staff as a disposable asset

I worked at Howard Rice Nemerovski Canady Falk & Rabkin

Pros

Most of the staff are nice people, and many of the lawyers can be personable. The offices have a great view.

Cons

Lawyers by trade are supposed to be combative and aggressive. That doesn't mean that management needs to be that way with their employees. Compliments, encouragement and a sense that you are part of something don't exist. Most of the people I worked with seemed terrified all of the time, and because of that couldn't demonstrate any comradery, or even a sense of humor.

Management really needs to treat employees as valuable. No one likes to work in an environment that feels like a Mausoleum. Management by fear and intimidation will hardly produce results.