Howard University Hospital

1. Overall Positive Experience

Current Intern - Executive Offices in Washington, DC
    Current Intern - Executive Offices in Washington, DC

I have been working at Howard University Hospital as an intern

Pros

Management was easily accessible and very friendly to talk to if I had any questions. They were also very willing to support any initiatives that I wanted to pursue myself, and made me feel as if I was a valuable contributor to the team. Overall there was a lot of room for personal growth so long as you were proactive.

Cons

The only major con for me was the consistency of workflow. Often times they would run out of projects for me to do as an intern, and I would get stuck with more administrative tasks to kill time.

Advice to Management

The only advice that I have is to make sure that workflow is consistent for interns.

2. The good....the bad and the UGLY!!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Howard University Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefit packages. Low rates, excellent medical, dental and vision coverage. Credit Union on site. Retirement plan well put together.

Cons

Low wages, workplace bullying, mobbing, poor customer service, unattainable work processes (e.g. working harder and not smarter), no room for advancement, unethical practices (e.g. hire external applicants over qualified internal applicants), high turn over rates, poor leadership, unorganized unions, and conflict of interest amongst managers and employees. In other words.... pure DRAMA!

Advice to Management

Reframing this entire organization is highly recommended. Starting with senior level management and patient access. Both areas have a significant impact on the organizational culture. For decades, Howard University Hospital has been recognized of the cons listed above. Perhaps eliminating old practices and replacing troublemakers with qualified and respectful employees will redefine the culture of this institution. This will enable workers, patients and families to coexist in a warm, friendly and efficient environment.

3. A work in progress

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Howard University Hospital full-time (more than a year)

Pros

While employed there, the autonomy, and the ability to learn from various departments weaknesses, strengths, and opportunities for improvements.

Cons

I would have like to see more accountability beginning at management, through staff, to ensure company goals and objectives are met.

Advice to Management

More training and development for staff so that they are on a constant path of growth and awareness so they are aligned with the evolution of healthcare.

5. Helpdesk Operations

Current Employee - Network Support Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Network Support Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Howard University Hospital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None really to talk about

Cons

To many to name???????????????????????????????????? ?////// ?/

Advice to Management

Allow and Listen to the input from those on the front line

6. Its not what you know, its who you know

Current Employee - Nurse in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Nurse in Washington, DC

I have been working at Howard University Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A historic institution that has a great legacy. There are educational oppurtunities for employees and benefits are decent. It is not as busy as some other hospitals, however this is probably due to its reputation.

Cons

The staff are difficult to work with mailnly due to complacency. Nobody is being held accountable for their actions and this affects patient care. Management uses blatant favoritism and they all have their "pets" that are given whatever they want and call in sick on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. But, if you are not a pick you cannot be more than 7 minutes late. The residents talk down to the nurses when they have not even finished school yet. They are given authority to write nurses up at every whim.

Advice to Management

I have no advice. Management needs to be changed from the top down.

7. You would have to see it to believe it.

I have been working at Howard University Hospital

Pros

There are ample advancement opportunities and you get to work with some real interesting people.

Cons

Lack of professionalism, incompetence of staff and dingy building.

Advice to Management

Stop sacrificing the future for the present

8. interesting

I have been working at Howard University Hospital

Pros

it was a job and I took it

Cons

lack of accountability
    low salary
    no internal support

9. This place would be better if the workers were held accountable and the Senior management amde promotions based on merit

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Howard University Hospital

Pros

Historic facility that people in the surrounding community respect.

Cons

Lack of decisive leadership and desire to make uncomfortable changes necessary for better.

Advice to Management

Stop making excuses and get rid of " good ole boy" network.

10. A challenging place to work.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Howard University Hospital

Pros

Howard University Hospital serves the community and you are a part of improving the health of the community and serving others. A lot of the employees have been there most of the life so you have workers with lots of instituional knowledge. You have a lot of nice people working there. There are opportunities to make a diference, but you have to come in with experience and knowledge. I would love to return there to work one day provided they make there salaries more competitive.

Cons

The hospital suffers from poor managment, outdated facilities, and neighborhood crime. A lot of employees who have been there many years have become complacent, probably because there efforts and contributions have been minimized over the years.

Advice to Management

Get training to become a better manager. Learn how to appreciate, respect and treat employees fair.