Huawei Technologies

Huawei Technologies Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Huawei Technologies President and CEO Ren Zhengfei

Ren Zhengfei

Pros:
  • "Great place to learn technologies and can take up the work"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Freshers can learn a lot in this company which will be useful and helpful for his entire career"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work-life balance - 9 hours of work is considered too early to leave the office"
    in 120 reviews
  • "Not very employee friendly, lots of rules and regulations, no work life balance"
    in 45 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good people to work for with, ultimately, disappointing opportunities

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
Plano, TX

I worked at Huawei Technologies full-time

ProsThe people in Huawei are very good to work with. They are very respectful of your personal needs. I also got to work with the latest in wireless technology and networking.

ConsTraining for me involved going to China and watching everybody work. It did not help with my development. Also, Huawei could not overcome being a Chinese company always under the scrutiny of the US Government. So many potential customers were either afraid or not allowed to make any deals with Huawei.

Interesting

I worked at Huawei Technologies for more than a year

ProsAutonomy, technology, smart coworkers, no micromanagement

ConsUnclear expectations, culture gap, communication is hard

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't say you won't lay off people but have layoffs 3 months later

Senior Technical Approval Manager

Senior Technical Approval Manager (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Huawei Technologies full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPeople here are very nice, easy going and open talk with each other.
Company will also provide enough free space for you to contribute your idea.

ConsReally hard working environment. It is better you know both Chinese and English so that you can freely talk with China HQ to provide your suggestions.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is some government issue that limited the company delelopment. We have to solve the issue asap.

i gain a lot of experience i am thankful for the chance

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Cairo, GA

I worked at Huawei Technologies as a contractor for less than a year

Proslearn unix and pl/sql
dealing with vast codes

Conslay off the staff without no good explanation
conflict management

Advice to Senior Managementdeal with the employees as a human not as machines that way they can be more productive than they already are

Very Good Experience but no Good Carrier Plan

A&S Engineer (Current Employee)
Tunis, AR

I have been working at Huawei Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Quality of Work
- Experience Learned

Cons- Chineese Work Style is very different from European or American, but if you can adapt yourself i advise to join this company

The projects are good, but the corporate culture is hard to get used to for employees outside China

I have been working at Huawei Technologies

ProsWe have many interesting projects. The management tries to catch up the technology trends so a lot of funding has been invested into the hot areas.

ConsChinese management style. The company used to follow those telecom giants like Cisco and Ericsson when it was small. But now as it has earned some leading positions in the market, it seems have no idea what it should follow in the future. As a company, it seems not having a clear view of what it wants to do. Or I would say, it wants to everything. Really, everything. It doesn't have a CTO office to make the plan for the company about what we should focus now. Every BU proposes their plans for those hot topics like cloud, virtualization, etc. Different teams from different BUs even compete with each other. As a result, many small groups are set up in the US R&D center to work on those hot projects. Each group may only have a couple of engineers in the US. Given the complexity of those projects, what do you expect from those engineers?

A strange environment where east meets west and do not mix (Huawei Device USA)

Director, Technical Acceptance (Current Employee)
Plano, TX

I have been working at Huawei Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people within the organization at the working level are very dedicated and exhibit a strong work ethic. Many put in very very long hours, which is commendable. The expats in the Plano market are very friendly and genuine friendships are formed.

ConsEveryone comes to an employer with a mix of expectations. With Huawei, the challenge is there is much work to be done, but little in way of top level management to focus and prioritize. This results in a very strong feeling of apathy amongst many.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold accountability at all levels. For example, rather than utilizing layoffs due to business reduction, solve the problem by removing the leaders causing the reduction in business. Instead, the environment is full of fear, with many of the most talented either actively seeking other opportunities, or else having already left.

A taste of the red curtain in America

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Huawei Technologies as a contractor for less than a year

ProsHuawei is a large organization with alot of the typical beauracracy. I had previously worked in startups, and didn't realize the ability to "hide" in a large organization. I did my work and hit all my deadlines no problem, but I also came late, left early, and worked from home alot. I had a great relationship with my immediate supervisor, and he was very result-oriented, and not so worried about appearances (9-5 cube monkey).

ConsI wasn't prepared for the level of security imposed. We were using windows machines with a massive amount of spyware (keyloggers, etc.) on them, that made actual development extremely slow and tedious. For example, compiling and deploying a 12 module project with a simple maven build that took 1 minute on a linux system took 8 minutes on these laptops. They also had an incredibly restrictive internet policy, no chats (which are certainly used for work purposes, right?), no embedded media in web pages, no google drive type apps, etc. No usb sticks. They were extremely concerned with code theft, to a degree I was unprepared for. I was told some of this is typical of large organizations, so maybe I'm just a startup guy.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdjust corporate policies to silicon valley culture. Some things that may make sense in China were far too heavy handed for the bay area.

Great place to know New Technologies; great responsibilities

I worked at Huawei Technologies

ProsGreat new technologies
Travel across the world
More responsibilities
Innovative work ideas
Customer first attitude
Good pay scales / recognition for good work

ConsNo much space for personal life, need to travel alone
After all a telecom company, so work hours usually gets longer
May have restrictions if you need to change to some other companies, they may not hire you

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder for a better brand value in the market
Give more work incentives for achieving targets

Software Development for Mobile Device

I worked at Huawei Technologies

ProsAdvanced Mobile Dev Tech involved

Conscan not stay longer for its culture

Worked for Huawei Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Huawei Technologies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Huawei Technologies CEO Ren Zhengfei. All 890 reviews posted anonymously by Huawei Technologies employees.