Huawei Technologies

Updated August 17, 2014

3.1

Huawei Technologies President and CEO Ren Zhengfei
Ren Zhengfei

Pros
  • It is a place to learn with several opportunities to develop careers (in 28 reviews)

• But I had a lot of opportunities to learn new stuff and apply new knowligies in real projects (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance - 9 hours of work is considered too early to leave the office (in 128 reviews)

• No Work life balance, strict rules and regulations (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

good

Pros

work life is good and also for the benefits. good place to work.

Cons

office culture is really nervous and lots of people working so hard

Interesting

Pros

Autonomy, technology, smart coworkers, no micromanagement

Cons

Unclear expectations, culture gap, communication is hard

Don't say you won't lay off people but have layoffs 3 months later

Senior Technical Approval Manager

Current Employee - Senior Technical Approval Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Approval Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

People here are very nice, easy going and open talk with each other.
    Company will also provide enough free space for you to contribute your idea.

Cons

Really hard working environment. It is better you know both Chinese and English so that you can freely talk with China HQ to provide your suggestions.

There is some government issue that limited the company delelopment. We have to solve the issue asap.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people to work for with, ultimately, disappointing opportunities

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Plano, TX

Pros

The people in Huawei are very good to work with. They are very respectful of your personal needs. I also got to work with the latest in wireless technology and networking.

Cons

Training for me involved going to China and watching everybody work. It did not help with my development. Also, Huawei could not overcome being a Chinese company always under the scrutiny of the US Government. So many potential customers were either afraid or not allowed to make any deals with Huawei.

i gain a lot of experience i am thankful for the chance

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Cairo, GA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cairo, GA

Pros

learn unix and pl/sql
    dealing with vast codes

Cons

lay off the staff without no good explanation
    conflict management

deal with the employees as a human not as machines that way they can be more productive than they already are

Very Good Experience but no Good Carrier Plan

Current Employee - A&S Engineer  in  Tunis, AR
    Current Employee - A&S Engineer in Tunis, AR

Pros

- Quality of Work
    - Experience Learned

Cons

- Chineese Work Style is very different from European or American, but if you can adapt yourself i advise to join this company

A strange environment where east meets west and do not mix (Huawei Device USA)

Current Employee - Director, Technical Acceptance  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Director, Technical Acceptance in Plano, TX

Pros

The people within the organization at the working level are very dedicated and exhibit a strong work ethic. Many put in very very long hours, which is commendable. The expats in the Plano market are very friendly and genuine friendships are formed.

Cons

Everyone comes to an employer with a mix of expectations. With Huawei, the challenge is there is much work to be done, but little in way of top level management to focus and prioritize. This results in a very strong feeling of apathy amongst many.

Hold accountability at all levels. For example, rather than utilizing layoffs due to business reduction, solve the problem by removing the leaders causing the reduction in business. Instead, the environment is full of fear, with many of the most talented either actively seeking other opportunities, or else having already left.

A taste of the red curtain in America

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Huawei is a large organization with alot of the typical beauracracy. I had previously worked in startups, and didn't realize the ability to "hide" in a large organization. I did my work and hit all my deadlines no problem, but I also came late, left early, and worked from home alot. I had a great relationship with my immediate supervisor, and he was very result-oriented, and not so worried about appearances (9-5 cube monkey).

Cons

I wasn't prepared for the level of security imposed. We were using windows machines with a massive amount of spyware (keyloggers, etc.) on them, that made actual development extremely slow and tedious. For example, compiling and deploying a 12 module project with a simple maven build that took 1 minute on a linux system took 8 minutes on these laptops. They also had an incredibly restrictive internet policy, no chats (which are certainly used for work purposes, right?), no embedded media in web pages, no google drive type apps, etc. No usb sticks. They were extremely concerned with code theft, to a degree I was unprepared for. I was told some of this is typical of large organizations, so maybe I'm just a startup guy.

Adjust corporate policies to silicon valley culture. Some things that may make sense in China were far too heavy handed for the bay area.

The projects are good, but the corporate culture is hard to get used to for employees outside China

Pros

We have many interesting projects. The management tries to catch up the technology trends so a lot of funding has been invested into the hot areas.

Cons

Chinese management style. The company used to follow those telecom giants like Cisco and Ericsson when it was small. But now as it has earned some leading positions in the market, it seems have no idea what it should follow in the future. As a company, it seems not having a clear view of what it wants to do. Or I would say, it wants to everything. Really, everything. It doesn't have a CTO office to make the plan for the company about what we should focus now. Every BU proposes their plans for those hot topics like cloud, virtualization, etc. Different teams from different BUs even compete with each other. As a result, many small groups are set up in the US R&D center to work on those hot projects. Each group may only have a couple of engineers in the US. Given the complexity of those projects, what do you expect from those engineers?

Great place to know New Technologies; great responsibilities

Pros

Great new technologies
    Travel across the world
    More responsibilities
    Innovative work ideas
    Customer first attitude
    Good pay scales / recognition for good work

Cons

No much space for personal life, need to travel alone
    After all a telecom company, so work hours usually gets longer
    May have restrictions if you need to change to some other companies, they may not hire you

Work harder for a better brand value in the market
    Give more work incentives for achieving targets

Worked for Huawei Technologies? Contribute to the Community!