Huawei Technologies

Huawei Technologies Reviews in Santa Clara, CA

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Huawei Technologies President and CEO Ren Zhengfei

Ren Zhengfei

Pros
  • It is a place to learn with several opportunities to develop careers(in 28 reviews)

• But I had a lot of opportunities to learn new stuff and apply new knowligies in real projects(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance - 9 hours of work is considered too early to leave the office(in 128 reviews)

• No Work life balance, strict rules and regulations(in 56 reviews)

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Ambitious but poorly organized US R&D Center

Senior Kernel Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

Pros1. Many projects are ambitious and attractive
    2. Not product-oriented, so get chance to work on something really interesting
    3. Diversified projects
    4. Good pay

Cons1. Seems the HQ doesn't really treat the US employees as its own employees, but just consultants. To some extent, there is a competition relationship between the US team and China team.
    2. The funding is strictly controlled by the China BUs, so due to above mentioned relationship, they can withdraw the funding anytime without early notification, no matter whether or not the schedule/plan has been made. They don't care!
    3. As a result, the US employees only have a few options: a. do whatever China BU wants them to do; b. find some other funding without the company; c. leave the company
    4. Probably due to the poor reputations of the company's organization, the company has lots of difficulty to hire qualified/competent engineers to do the work, so to fulfill the head count, the hiring manager has to lower the criteria when hiring new employees. This kind of people cause big trouble when doing projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoose the constraints on US research teams.

Horrendous

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsNone. I made some good friends and learnt a lot about how NOT to run a business.

ConsBad product, no professionalism, very incompetent people from China who don't understand technology or business. All the good ones are in companies like Cisco. There's a reason why people with great skill sets don't join Huawei.

Advice to Senior ManagementClose shop.

A taste of the red curtain in America

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsHuawei is a large organization with alot of the typical beauracracy. I had previously worked in startups, and didn't realize the ability to "hide" in a large organization. I did my work and hit all my deadlines no problem, but I also came late, left early, and worked from home alot. I had a great relationship with my immediate supervisor, and he was very result-oriented, and not so worried about appearances (9-5 cube monkey).

ConsI wasn't prepared for the level of security imposed. We were using windows machines with a massive amount of spyware (keyloggers, etc.) on them, that made actual development extremely slow and tedious. For example, compiling and deploying a 12 module project with a simple maven build that took 1 minute on a linux system took 8 minutes on these laptops. They also had an incredibly restrictive internet policy, no chats (which are certainly used for work purposes, right?), no embedded media in web pages, no google drive type apps, etc. No usb sticks. They were extremely concerned with code theft, to a degree I was unprepared for. I was told some of this is typical of large organizations, so maybe I'm just a startup guy.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdjust corporate policies to silicon valley culture. Some things that may make sense in China were far too heavy handed for the bay area.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Chinese company for Chinese

Solution Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsDiversity of exposures to multiple technologies

ConsTotal lack of visibility into strategies and motivations for what our goals are. Control is kept in China and the employee is a disposable resource, a soldier, asked to do things.
    Huawei has no trust in its employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation is not competitive and local US incentives have been created by Chinese HR leaders who have no experience of this market. An annual $5k bonus as a retention incentive for example will not do anything.

Bad Management

Marketing (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsNothing that I can think of at this time

ConsEverything, Bad Management, no support, egotistical

Unorganized, not sure what to do, too localized to Chinese culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

Pros- Good for people who look for a job to kill time! Employees have nothing to do and just spend their time in office browsing the Internet.

Cons- No career development
    - Makes you become lazy!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to have a present in US, you have to adopt to the US culture. Most management are expat from China that have no ideas what to do with the US hired employees.

If you have a job, do not work for Huawei

Architect (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsTheir pay is not bad, some trips to China if you like it. A ok place to stay if you do not have a job and looking for a place to have some reasonable income.

ConsI think a few existing reviews on right on.

- They give you good title and good pay to attract you, but once you jon, they treat you like consultant not employee;

- HQ is in China, people there treat you like outsiders not peers. No respect, all they want is to squeeze your brain juice;

- Management is horrible.
      * They want you to propose the direction/plan and to get money on your own from HQ;
      * They also want you to make money in a few month, otherwise, your days are numbered!
      * They have no direction nor long term goals, and can cut off your project at any given time;

- There is no stock option or ESPP, but Chinese employees all gets good stocks and bonus;

You either leave the company or they lay you off around one year.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to learn from American company and treat your employees as your employees and with respect. Otherwise, you just waste millions in US and will not get anywhere.

Great place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsNew technologies, good management style

Conssmall team, better speak chinese.

Ok if you are mostly interested in your job, and don't want to know/care about rest of the company

Senior Staff Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsHires older and differently abled people. This may come as a surprise. They do a better job of this than most hot shot SV companies. Having worked 30 years in the valley I should know.

ConsYou wont know what is going on in the company. Forget that, you wont know what is going on with the guy next to you in a different project. Some what disorganized management. Chinese culture - different but not intentionally bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to develop long term incentives to keep employees, like stock options.

It was satisfying, not problems noted.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsLots of freedom that each group has. The cafeteria is also very good with lots of authentic Chinese food, I would definitely work there again.

ConsA majority of the employees are native Chinese speakers. The language and culture barrier is a little bit of an obstacle when working with others.

Worked for Huawei Technologies? Contribute to the Community!