HubShout Reviews

Great opportunity

Current Employee - Premium Writer  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Premium Writer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at HubShout full-time for less than a year

Pros

Job comes with benefits and good time-off. People are outstanding and the culture is helpful and friendly. Many company events and casual. Shorts and flip-flops are no problem. Supervisors are focused on substance. No BS. There are paid training opportunities if you want to learn about other departments. Senior Management is very accessible and interested in solving problems.

Cons

This is a small company, so training is lacking. My first few days were not the greatest as it was hard to find details on many tasks. But the other writers helped me out a great deal.

Make training better. Help new employees with stronger orientation.

Really Tough Environment to Write Well In

Former Employee - Premium Writer  in  Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Premium Writer in Rochester, NY

I worked at HubShout full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of the people there are pretty fun and laid back and the writing team is great. The office itself is pretty relaxed and casual dress is permitted. Great to go to work in sandals and a hoodie.

There is some flexibility with hours - as long as you get in your 40/week - and you never have to do anything on weekends or even at night as long as you get your stuff done.

The managing editor is outstanding to work for.

While freelance, you get paid per word so you can make a pretty decent wage if you work fast and what you make is pretty much uncapped (though there are only so many tasks that get assigned).

Cons

Essentially, it all boils down to the fact that, despite what they say, I don't think there is any appreciation for writers or what they do, especially considering the fact that they sell content.

Really low pay. Its frustrating that they say they want people to stick around and help the company grow, but they aren't willing to pay for that. To think that adults are going to stick around at that wage is a huge mistake, and I actually think they know that but just won't outwardly say so. It would be a sweet job for a college kid home for summer, but upper-management is smart, there's no way they can expect people to stick around long-term as writers. In all honesty, you can make more mowing lawns...

That is compounded by the fact that, at least when I was there, writers shared space with a couple of salespeople. That meant listening to them sell - and get commissions for - all of the work that we do. When someone makes a big sale, and paycheck, writers don't get a bonus...at the very most, they get a cookie. That's not to mention the fact that everyone other than writers gets bonuses at the end of the year.

Account managers are solely commissioned, I think , so every time they ask a writer to "do this real quick" or "change that for me," they end up getting more money while writers get a bigger workload. That is a fundamental flaw in how the business works. Its frustrating to ask yourself "why on Earth would I do that?" every time you have to change something.

The biggest issue I had working there - by far - is the lip service they gave about moving in-house. When we moved from freelance to full-time, it was under the guise of being part of a creative team and having more time to work on high-quality, individual tasks. That meant a bit less money, but seemed worth it. Unfortunately, that never happened, especially after a great 2013 brought in a ton of new business. What ended up happening is that writers worked at the pace they were initially told, and everyone ended up way behind. They're solution was to simply ask everyone to work faster...without even the glimmer of hope for a raise. They ended up asking for a volume of tasks that would pay a rate lower than what we were making freelance.

Not only did they choose to increase demand without increasing pay, the micromanaging became hugely suffocating. No, there was nobody watching your computer screen 100% of the time (though I'm sure they would love to do that), but you have to report every minute of your day. That means recording how long you spend on each writing task, which, for a "creative team," is absurd. While they don't necessarily get mad how long you spend on tasks, they will call you into the office to talk about your non-work time spent. Every creative process is different, which means there are some people - like me - who work quite fast for a while and then have to veg out. The upper management has no grasp of that and wants to turn the writing process into an assembly line, more or less.

There is also the idea floating around, and it seemed true then as it does now, that they don't think writers are, for lack of better terms, intelligent. Apparently, applicants who don't pass their aptitude test for other positions are then told that they can apply as a writer. That just reinforces the fact that they think content creation is a mindless, easy endeavor...and is a pretty serious insult.

On top of alllllll that, they don't give everyone a computer. The only way to get a PC is to tell them your laptop died. I would suggest getting a crippling virus the second day after you become a full-time writer. And the internet is painfully slow at time, incredibly ironic for an internet marketing firm.

There are what, two or three of the initial writing team still there? Should be a pretty big red flag that there is something wrong. Either be honest about what the job is, or pay way more to keep talent around.

HubShout Response

Jun 23, 2014President

We are really sorry to hear this was such a bad fit. We value our Writing Team immensely - which is why I personally meet with each and every writer every two weeks (along with their Editor) so I can ... More

Cool Start Up

Current Employee - Writer  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Writer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at HubShout full-time for less than a year

Pros

Super friendly place where everybody is cool. Office is a welcome change from the usual Rochester job. Fun and different. People actually care about the place. Great benefits for writers.

Cons

Every now and then a difficult employee is hired. But management is good about addressing issues when we bring them to them.

Try to stay ahead of the competition. Keep the office in Rochester. Do more fun stuff with the team.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great work environment, horrible work assignment process

Current Employee - Premium Writer - Freelance
    Current Employee - Premium Writer - Freelance

I have been working at HubShout as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Fun and casual work environment, employees and management are nice.

Cons

Very low pay, a faulty internal system that assigns large amounts of work to writers right before it is due even though we are supposed to have 6-7 days to complete assignments, a "reliability score" that does not increase even when tasks are completed.

I have been working at HubShout for several months and have been told right along that the internal system would be fixed, but I have yet to see any progress. My biggest suggestions would be to fix the system and offer raises to the general writers.

Fun little company

Current Employee - Premium Writer  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Premium Writer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at HubShout full-time for more than a year

Pros

casual work - never have to dress up. Cool people - everyone is friendly. Tons to learn and fast paced. Trying to be cutting edge in online journalism.

Cons

Hard work, which doesn't bother me. The office is in an older building. There are only a few bathrooms - which was fine a year ago but is not a problem. I'm told more are coming.

Stay current with trends in online journalism. Find more newspapers for us to write for.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at HubShout full-time for more than a year

Pros

Small company atmosphere. People are friendly and fun to work with. Employees tend to stay with company for a long time.

Cons

Training is lacking and system is complicated due to nature of products. Industry is changing constantly. It is a smaller company, so there are not many position openings that often.

Keep current on the SEO and SEM trends. Keep training staff so they know more.

Do You Enjoy Long Hours, Embarrassingly Low Wages, and Amateur Management?

Former Employee - Premium Writer - Freelance  in  Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Premium Writer - Freelance in Rochester, NY

I worked at HubShout as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The only redeeming quality of working at HubShout is the casual work environment.

Cons

The biggest problem I have with HubShout is that they expect too much out of their workers. As a writer, you are paid by how much content you produce. While this may sound good on paper, it does not translate well to the real world. I found myself working 60+ hours each week just to get the bare minimum amount of work done. This is also a problem because as a writer (unless you are a "premium" writer), you are considered to be a contract employee, so HubShout gets away with paying you LESS THAN MINIMUM WAGE. I did the math, and by working 60 hours per week at HubShout, I could be making the same amount working 35 hours per week at minimum wage. Oh, and did I mention that in order to be hired as a writer, you need at least a Bachelor's or Master's Degree?

The management, or lack thereof, is another major flaw. The management is extremely disorganized because HubShout has virtually no management. This results in miscommunication on a daily basis, which makes doing your job correctly almost impossible.

The system HubShout uses to assign articles to the writers is horrendous. It malfunctions constantly, and you end up receiving work right before it is due. Because of this, you are unable to plan out your work throughout the week.

As a writer, your content is graded based on how well it is written. Key word: GRADED, just like in elementary school. Not only is this an unprofessional way to judge how well the writers do their jobs, but it usually takes 2-4 weeks for your articles to be graded. This means that if you make a mistake, you will continue to make the same mistake for 2-4 weeks until you are made aware of it. The logic in HubShout's grading system is so flawed that I cannot believe they have been using it for years.

If you are going to pay your employees embarrassingly low wages while simultaneously requiring advanced college degrees, you are going to go out of business quickly. Actually, it is poor business strategy on your part to pay your employees such low wages because in turn, you will receive substandard work quality. Pay your employees more, and you will see an increase in productivity and work quality. I guarantee it.

HubShout Response

May 2, 2014President

We are very sorry to hear the experience was so poor, but greatly appreciate your feedback. We value feedback from everybody and work hard to make certain it is heard.

Our writers are scored by
    ... More

Disorganized, Poor Employee Treatment and Lack of Supportive Management

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in Rochester, NY

I worked at HubShout full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hubshout is a young company with a lot of energy and ambition. They occasionally throw office parties.

Cons

Lack of support, training, coaching, etc. Use "Hot Washes" to humiliate individual employees in front of their peers/team members when they've done something incorrectly, rather than addressing that individual employee in private and then using that experience as an ANONYMOUS team learning experience. Expect employees to psychically intuit what's expected of them in addition to what's outlined in outdated process documents. Contradicting instructions from managers and higher ups. There is inconsistent adherence to company policies as well as a strong need for additional support staff to be hired so that employees may better focus on their primary job functions rather than attempting to complete their main job functions and additional clerical/administrative functions within the same time blocks. They highly stress their disapproval of anyone who goes into overtime, yet continue to assign more and more tasks to be completed in one day, but ask that you "don't push tasks back."

Training needs to actually be provided if it's advertised within the job postings. If you have more work than employees can feasibly complete within an 8 hour work day, then paying overtime needs to become a realistic option, rather than something people get in trouble for.

A Great Place To Learn About The Industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at HubShout full-time for more than a year

Pros

There really are several pros to working with this company. I have been working at Hubshout on and off for almost 2 years, and was lucky enough to be promoted internally after a few months on the job. A serious pro about working here is the level of training you are provided with upon hiring. While some of the training is the typical new hire stuff, you are also taught the ins and outs of what we do here, including SEO basics, PPC basics, and Internet Marketing strategies. I found I have expanded my knowledge on the industry a TON since being employed at Hubshout. Something even cooler? Training is done by the CEO's themselves. Not many companies provide their employees the opportunity to learn about their industry through the CEO of their business.

The culture and environment is awesome. It is a young, laid back office - full of smart, and out going people. There is a strong sense of team unity through the whole office, and everyone knows each other.

Cons

The pay could be a bit higher, however Hubshout really is a great place to begin a career in the Internet Marketing Industry.

Keep up the good work. Hubshout has big things in its future!

Not Bad if You Can Swing It.

Current Employee - Premium Writer - Freelance  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Premium Writer - Freelance in Rochester, NY

I have been working at HubShout full-time for less than a year

Pros

As a freelance writer there is a ton of freedom. You are technically not an employee, so you can kind of come and go as you please, as long as you get the work done on time. The woman in charge of the writers at the Rochester branch is amazing. She clearly cares and makes the writers feel more appreciated and needed than anyone else there. It is a rapidly growing company, and I like working here and being a part of it. I just wish I could be more of a part of it.

Cons

The computer system the writers use is often kind of buggy. The assignments that you finish can just sit in a review queue for over a month, so you do not get paid regularly. Even though the writers are technically just contract work, it feels like we are just peons, even though we are creating the body of content provided to the clients. I have been here for three months, and have yet to get enough assignments to make it worth working here, even though I am constantly told that there are more than enough to go around.

Streamline the computer system. Make it more user friendly for the writers and the work will get done better and more quickly. And fix the part handing out assignments. Get the account managers to do their jobs so that the assignments can go through and we can get paid.

Worked for HubShout? Contribute to the Community!