Hubbell Power Systems

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Timothy H. Powers

1. A decent company to work for, but has the potential to be a great company where everyone wins... oh im an operator

Current Employee - Operator in Aiken, SC
    Current Employee - Operator in Aiken, SC

I have been working at Hubbell Power Systems (More than a year)

Pros

Hubbell power systems has decent pay, and benefits,its somewhat layed back,and is usually not too fast paced, has 3 paid breaks (but are relatively short), has virtually no layoffs, and has plenty of overtime or if you don't, you don't have to, unless its mandatory, oh did I mention it has a wonderful work/life balance schedule, of 4 day on and 4 off ^_^, its like a many vaction every week (this is the biggest reason im giving it 4*, otherwise I would have gave it 3*)

Cons

Well, for one, it can be disorganized, and can be hard to move around sometimes,the company doesn't have enough leader ship, certain departments need more leadership especially the larger ones(like having 2 supervisor, and planners in a large department) this company is lean, sometimes very, its first cut back is with direct labor (operators) and willsometimes try to make them run 2 presses (most of the time they dont but with certain presses they try and do), also mangement should really listen to their employees about stuff moreand try it, and could have sightly better pay and benefits

Advice to Management

To listen to the little guys and do a little more stuff for their employees more, and bring in more leadership to make things run smoother

2. Molder

Former Employee - South Carolina in Aiken, SC
    Former Employee - South Carolina in Aiken, SC

I worked at Hubbell Power Systems

Pros

Great coworkers, decent pay, pretty good supervision that started as machine operators as well. Hardly any layoffs no matter how bad business gets.

Cons

Need to listen to little man's opinions more often, need to respect hourly employees, need to be more family oriented.

3. Production Managment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, AL

I have been working at Hubbell Power Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a job. It is day shift. Ummm. As far as business goes these guys are very successful. Making tons of money.

Cons

Too many hours, company values useless metrics more than employee, you are just a number.

Advice to Management

Value employees more.

5. Hubbell is a great company to work for and they seem to care about their folks.

I have been working at Hubbell Power Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid employment if you are motivated.

Cons

Slightly less than average pay vs. Industry standard.

Advice to Management

None

6. It's a job. The job itself ok. Management not so much.

I have been working at Hubbell Power Systems

Pros

Not many. Pay is decent benefits are okm

Cons

Terrible management practices. No communication.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like they are people. Realize that everybody is part of the big picture.

7. Good Place to Begin

I have been working at Hubbell Power Systems

Pros

Great people, job security and good benefits

Cons

Lack of promotions as they are very lean.

Good Pay, Mediocre Management Team

Former Employee - Manager in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Manager in Columbia, SC

I worked at Hubbell Power Systems full-time

Pros

The pay and benefits are good for the area. They rarely lay people off due to slow business conditions and rarely fire people for lack luster performance.

Cons

The HPS management team likes to talk about growth through acquisitions. If you are interviewing, ask how many acquisitions HPS closed annually over the past 5 years and how much those acquisitions moved the revenue needle? If you are interviewing, ask about how many internally developed new product releases they have successfully completed over the past few years that were not copy cat competitors products. If you are considering a job in Columbia, SC at their head quarters, ask how they resolve conflicts when your job goal conflicts with the goals of one of the BUs. "Dotted line" reporting structures are inevitably destined for employees with two managers who have different incentive structures. The HPS management likes to reply with "We are a numbers driven company" when denying a request for investment in a new product or new business initiative. Question, Isn't every for profit company a numbers driven company? If you don't take some risk and invest in new programs, how do you grow your business? The current management at HPS in Columbia likes to say, "We are a company that likes to hit singles." True. HPS is not for employees who seek a dynamic and highly innovative culture. HPS culturally is a good place for Steady Eddies who like conservative, limited change and a risk adverse work culture.

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror and ask yourself, do the people who work for me truly respect and admire my leadership? What do the people who work for me really say about my management style and leadership capabilities when I am not around? Am I the type of manager that I would have wanted to work for earlier in my career?

Was a decent experience

Former Employee - Engineer in Aiken, SC
    Former Employee - Engineer in Aiken, SC

I worked at Hubbell Power Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Salary, benefits, and relocation were very generous -Very thorough recruiters, probably the best I have ever come across -Decent work/life balance

Cons

-Lean environment that can sometimes have confusion between managers and personnel -High turnover rate for younger employees -Little direction from management

Great company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Hubbell Power Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Much potential for professional growth. Coworkers are very friendly and management is flexible and understanding of what happens outside of work.

Cons

Because of the size and structure of the company some changes are hard to implement or are implemented top down with what seems to be very little input from the bottom.

Advice to Management

Find a way to show that you are listening to the workers.

Hubbell

Former Employee - CAD Technician in Ormond Beach, FL
    Former Employee - CAD Technician in Ormond Beach, FL

I worked at Hubbell Power Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

can' t think of any

Cons

shipped 8 plants to mexico and put approx. 2500 people out of work then complains about the economy

Advice to Management

American made

RSS Feed </> Embed