Hubspot Reviews

Reset
4.6
Hubspot CEO & Founder Brian Halligan
Brian Halligan

Pros
  • A ton of smart people to learn from (in 15 reviews)

• HubTalks are always a great time and the seemingly unlimited free food in the kitchen is a plus (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance might not be as evident (in 11 reviews)

• No work life balance- if you come in at 8:30- 6pm and take lunch you will be labeled a slacker and risk being a subject of gossip (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Career Growth - Joining a Rocketship

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's not really about the beer and ping pong it's about the people you get to work with everyday, training to build skills in sales you get to experience, and the potential for long term career growth that comes from working at a rocket-ship company like this. The sales team is well compensated and offered lots of bonus/contest opportunities throughout the course of the year and ensuring sales people are treated fairly is often top of mind for the executives. Anyone at any level can take on additional responsibility, step up to solve big problems, and be a part of a extremely transparent culture where you can learn the ins and outs of a SaaS business. Hard to beat that in today's work environment especially in a successful business.

Cons

It's a demanding environment which may not be for everyone, but as hard as it is it's often found to be one of the most fun places to work due to the people and career opportunities.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on scale and the big goals that have been set for the business over the long term. It's great to be a part of a team where decisions are made with big dreams and huge financial goals versus just barely hitting the ball over the fence.

2. Great place to be an engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of autonomy. Everything is always "what to do", not "how to do it". If you want to get involved in product decision making, you're free to do so. If you'd rather dive in and reshape the tech stack, you're free to do so. If you just want to hack and build, you're free to do so. All will be rewarded. The company does a great job matching people's skills and motivations to the work they're doing.

Cons

The cadence can be spiky. The weeks before the company's annual conference can get intense with deadlines. If you're not self-motivating, you will probably not find yourself progressing in the company, as they definitely expect you to take on the responsibilities of the job you want to be promoted to first. It's a good thing for some, but I've definitely heard people feel like they lack direction for what abilities and personal traits they should be working on.

Advice to Management

Recognize people down in the trenches a bit more. Giving out champagne awards at the company meeting is nice, but they pretty much always go towards people who happen to be working on a project that happens to be a pet interest of a C-level exec. Lots of people working to support the business, that often go unrecognized at the top level. Lots of recognition inside their teams, but often invisible outside of them.

Aug 31, 2015 – VP, Culture and Experience

Great feedback, thanks for sharing it. On your "advice to management," that's good insight regarding champagners--the peer bonus program is designed to help surface people who fit the exact bill ... More

3. Best place to sell in Boston

Current Employee - Channel Account Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Channel Account Manager in Cambridge, MA

Pros

HubSpot really does live up to its billing. There are incredible career growth opportunities, middle and upper management who care about your future, and virtually everyone is young, smart, and hungry. Training is very helpful and ongoing. Your manager really cares about you doing well and will do everything in his or her power to help you. Everything is very metrics-driven, so quota and ramp can be difficult, but if you stick with it and work hard, you can make it. You will be a better sales rep, professional, and leader for having worked at HubSpot. Great brand. People leaving voluntarily are typically taking $200k+ sales management roles at more true startups. Perks live up to the hype. You can operate completely on your own schedule. Team/sales/company outings at least twice a month, free beer and food, employee stock purchase plan, stock grants for sales overperformance. Stock price has doubled since IPO 9 months ago so value of grants continues to rise.

Cons

Not for the faint of heart. If you want to punch the clock at 9, and again at 5, HubSpot is not the place for you. The learning curve is steep and the work, especially in sales (and especially in channel sales) is hard. You're constantly stack-ranked against your peers and there's intense pressure to meet and exceed quota. Expect a challenge. Comp is decent in sales but I know it's higher at more enterprise-level companies. Also management can feel reactionary rather than proactive. The culture is great but the constant patting ourselves on the back for it can get annoying. Do we constantly need to be congratulating ourselves for having happy and dedicated employees? Can feel like an orange-spraypainted cult at times.

Advice to Management

For the most part, keep doing what you're doing. Lay off on the constant self-congratulation, it's awkward, annoying, and gets old quickly.

Aug 31, 2015 – VP, Culture and Experience

Thanks for the feedback--so glad your manager is invested in your success, and I think your feedback on the pace of work here is spot on. With regard to self-congratulation, that one stings a bit ... More

Happier than I have ever been.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've had the benefit of working at other companies and that generated context on what the normal working world is: this isn't it. We're encouraged to be ourselves. The whole goal is to align an employee with what their passion is and create a start-up environment for you to run.

Cons

Come prepared to work. We are passionate and driven. Don't lose perspective. I see way too many people get upset at the smallest things here.

Advice to Management

I haven't seen us misstep yet but please stay concerned with being inspirational. When we talk about hitting numbers for the street it resonates for about 1% of the company.

Aug 25, 2015 – Director, Talent and Culture

Thanks for the thoughtful review, and for the push to stay inspirational--it's an important reminder, and something we need to continue to improve on--our mission is at the core of who we are, and ... More

6. Yes, it really is awesome.

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Cambridge, MA

Pros

- Ambitious, hard working, smart people - Fun company events, department outings - Free snacks/beer, good health & dental insurance - Stocks, investment advice through Fidelity - Good location - Growing company - Great vacation policy - Productive, caring management - Tuition reimbursement plan - Culture focused on learning, professional and personal growth, excellence

Cons

Hmm, this is a tough one... In my personal experience there aren't really any downsides. It can be hard to meet and mingle with people outside of your department, but I think that's a challenge at any company that has over a few hundred employees. HubSpot still has a bit of a startup vibe in the sense that it's still growing, there's a high energy level, can be really fun, etc., but it's not a startup anymore, so if that's what you're looking for I suggest you go a lot smaller. At the end of the day, there's no other company I'd rather work for. Hands down. Everybody here genuinely cares about our customers, our company, and each other. I feel cheesy saying that, but there you go.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

7. Happy atmosphere where people get thing done

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has a great culture and people. It's amazing how nice thing are when everyone is getting their job done and not worrying about the things that don't matter.

Cons

Living in Cambridge or the surrounding area is expensive and HubSpot doesn't have a lot of offices in cheaper areas.

Aug 25, 2015 – Director, Talent and Culture

We like people worrying about things that matter, so glad to hear that has been true of your experience. Cost of living is always a tough balance in Cambridge and surrounding areas, and something we ... More

8. Get ready for growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot (More than a year)

Pros

There's no shortage of orange enthusiasm here at HubSpot. The people are great and the culture makes every day interesting. Can't say enough good things

Cons

Honestly, I don't have any huge cons. I think that HubSpot employees take the job with the understanding that they'll be challenged and held to high standards. We hire the best for a reason!

Advice to Management

Continue the transparency. This is a great place to work and we're all looking forward to what's to come.

9. The people are the best

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people here are some of the most genuine and hard-working I've ever met. The company lives up to it's motto of "Use Good Judgement" far better than Google's "Don't be evil". There are almost no secrets within the company, trust is huge here. The tech stack is great, red tape is minimal, cross-team collaboration is the norm.

Cons

Current location is a bit crowded because we're growing so quickly. The soda fountain doesn't have orange soda.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, take some more risks, bet big. Never lose sight of what makes HubSpot great: the culture and the people who make it what it is.

Aug 25, 2015 – Director, Talent and Culture

"Trust is huge here" is a great way of putting this, and while I'm not sure I can solve the orange soda dilemma permanently, it does seem like an Orange Soda celebration is in order soon--I'll see if ... More

It's an overall rating of a 5 until it's a 1 - - and you don't see the 1 coming.

I have been working at Hubspot full-time

Pros

You get to be passionate about your work. The people you get to work next to, 99% of the time, are good people - first which makes you want to work with them. They are team players who consistently strive to be exceptional for their clients, for HubSpot, for their team and for themselves last. People are smart, work hard and care about helping each other. It's rare to hear anyone say they 'don't have time' or 'that's not my job.' It's a very special place and not everyone is lucky enough in their career to work at a company that is fun, has great people, allows you to dream big and build big - if it works, it becomes your job. Client service and satisfaction is a real thing here and the sincerity of HubSpot employees shows. Clients/customers are generally awesome. You will learn a lot from your peers and if you are willing to seek mentors, as well as, challenge yourself. You'll meet your future business partners because people have great ideas, are entrepreneurs innately and you'll teach each other something everyday.

Cons

Sometimes bad apples slip through the cracks and don't understand that being a team isn't about anything other than delivering the best work product to your clients. Those people are hard to work with and make it difficult for those around them. It's rare, but when it happens it makes an impact. Constructive feedback/1:1 meetings are mostly a joke where your manager asks you, in a way they just learned at a workshop, how they should be doing their job. 'How can I help you do xyz?' That's not leadership. If people knew the answers to why they weren't great at certain things, they'd solve it for themselves. People are go getters at HubSpot, so if they aren't doing something right, their manager should be the one doing some reflection. If you are looking to be inspired or hope to develop as a professional, beyond the basics, you'll be disappointed. If you have any experience or talent, you'll likely be managing up because huge growth is awesome, except when you're saddled with a new manager who may have been a great individual contributor, but is in no way a leader. Experienced people are rarely, if ever, pumped about how much their manager teaches/coaches them There are some great leaders and the people you work alongside are outstanding. The reality is you'll likely end up with a mediocre, micro-manager who pretends to embrace new ideas, different tactics, but is constantly CYA-ing instead of GSD-ing.

Advice to Management

Managers and leaders are very different things and sadly middle management has no clue how to lead (with a few exceptions) challenge smart people, develop skills they don't know they need yet, create opportunities to work on projects that will help them be better professionals later in their career or show any type of true leadership because they are too inexperienced, too insecure or too arrogant to acknowledge the value they do and do not bring to the table. When an employee who strives for greatness and fails, you'd be hard pressed to find their manager spending time thinking about how they were actually the one who failed or what their role was in the unraveling that ultimately results in a lousy, box checking, paper shuffling, employee to force awesome people to change groups or change companies. Get serious about 360 reviews, honesty is a policy that could use some reviewing, hire leaders who grow the awesome talent that exists, as opposed to people who fall in line and are 'yes men.' Ask people with experience if they feel like they are learning, growing and see value in the interactions they have with the people who manage them. Force them to be specific because it's hard to give upward feedback without fear of it being a career limiting move - so most people will say yes their manager is great, but don't mean it. Get serious about this problem because it was an issue at 50 employees, at 200, at 500 and is getting worse by the minute at 800+ employees.

Aug 25, 2015 – Director, Talent and Culture

This review really saddened me, so thanks for sharing it--we have a few plays in place specifically targeted at helping both identify managers who aren't effective and at training existing and ... More

11. Great Company

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Cambridge, MA

Pros

A rising star amongst consultancy companies. start up atmosphere even though it has become a 1000 person company.

Cons

Too demanding and sometime could be stressful. Not very international with too many east coast americans.

Advice to Management

The website is not updated regularly especially when the careers section still holds old job posts and this can be very confusing to people.

Aug 25, 2015 – Director, Talent and Culture

We absolutely need to work on the Jobs site, there's no question about that--the plan is to revisit the Jobs site post-INBOUND and then hopefully we can get both the internal job board and external ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed