Hubspot Reviews

151 reviews filtered by
4.7
Hubspot CEO & Founder Brian Halligan
Brian Halligan

Pros
  • The greatest pro is the chance to work with incredibly smart people (in 15 reviews)

• HubTalks are always a great time and the seemingly unlimited free food in the kitchen is a plus (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • You might lose the good work-life balance, but that could be ok if you are workaholic :) (in 11 reviews)

• No work life balance as a sales rep (IMS), even though the company touts the "unlimited vacation policy" (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Career Growth - Joining a Rocketship

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's not really about the beer and ping pong it's about the people you get to work with everyday, training to build skills in sales you get to experience, and the potential for long term career growth that comes from working at a rocket-ship company like this. The sales team is well compensated and offered lots of bonus/contest opportunities throughout the course of the year and ensuring sales people are treated fairly is often top of mind for the executives.

Anyone at any level can take on additional responsibility, step up to solve big problems, and be a part of a extremely transparent culture where you can learn the ins and outs of a SaaS business. Hard to beat that in today's work environment especially in a successful business.

Cons

It's a demanding environment which may not be for everyone, but as hard as it is it's often found to be one of the most fun places to work due to the people and career opportunities.

Keep the focus on scale and the big goals that have been set for the business over the long term. It's great to be a part of a team where decisions are made with big dreams and huge financial goals versus just barely hitting the ball over the fence.

Trusted leadership team who cares about your development.

Current Employee - Channel Account Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Channel Account Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

HubSpot's training is top-notch, both their inbound marketing training as well as their on-going sales coaching. From a lead perspective, HubSpot generates 50K to 60K leads per month which means no cold-calling for the VAR Channel Account Managers. Further, their marketing team creates really great, helpful content which people love, so 99% of the calls you have are with people who already love the brand and product. The managers really care about your development and don't micro-manage. They let you run your own business. They put an emphasis and teaching, coaching, and learning. Further, they pay very well. I went from making $55K/year at my last sales job to $184K in my first year with HubSpot.

Cons

The most difficult part of the job is time-management. There are a lot of unqualified leads that come through and it's your job to disqualify prospects who are not going to make good re-sellers. You must quickly assess if HubSpot's Partner Program can help them or not, if not, you must break up with them. In your first year as a VAR Channel account manager, you must work very hard to set yourself up for year 2. This means long hours at the office for your first 6-9 months. However, the payoff is worth the wait.

Keep doing what you're doing.

3. Amazing company, amazing culture, amazing team with incredibly audacious goals

Current Employee - Vice President in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot

Pros

I have worked in the Boston high tech scene for over two decades, including being part of multiple startups, and have never been at a company like HubSpot. What makes HubSpot different really starts from the culture. We strive to be true to the HubSpot Culture Code (www.culturecode.com), even though we acknowledge it is aspirational. The culture really makes the place remarkable including a tremendous focus on autonomy and transparency; every individual has the opportunity to move the needle at the company. The other thing that is incredible is the audacity and desires of the company. We are not out to be just another company. We want to be a remarkable company in the Boston area and are not afraid to be very bold in the markets we go after. Every time I think I have come to grips with the magnitude of our goals I am surprised by another mountain behind that one.

Cons

Particularly as an experienced person, coming into HubSpot can be a culture shock. You likely know the traditional playbook and, if you come into HubSpot and try to just use that playbook, you will fail. We aren't like most other places and the traditional playbooks won't work here. The key to succeed in coming to HubSpot is understanding how to take your experience and knowledge and fit it into our culture. Once you figure that out, and there can be some bumps and bruises along the way, you can thrive in ways you probably have never been able to before.

Continue to be bold and don't fear shaking up the market. Despite our amazing successes to date, never be satisfied. Be ever vigilant for the potholes that could be lurking on the road ahead.

5. Why I Like Working at Hubspot

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot (more than 5 years)

Pros

- That I've been able to make my own career path and have seen others do the same. Performance plus persistence plus patience plus experimentation is valued at Hubspot.
    - That I've had some of the best managers in my career at Hubpsot. I haven't had a bad manager here. Have gotten great support and a kick in the pants when helpful too.
    - That I've worked my butt off, but it hasn't felt like it's been for nothing. I look forward to coming into work everyday or...
    - That I'm able to work at home at my choosing many days. I love to be able to see my family during the day and avoid the 45 minute commute.
    - That I'm around inspiring people. Hubspotters are a mix of big thinkers and tireless executors, often within the same people. It is pretty amazing.
    - That Hubspotters are resilient and optimistic. I've been around long enough to see a few bumps and bruises. Most folks here are part of the solution, not part of the problem.
    - That I'm pumped to see what the next 5 years brings.

Cons

It's more a work/life blend that work/life balance if that's not your sort of thing
    Cambridge traffic sucks during rush hour

Don't screw it up.. Everyone at Hubspot contributes so really applies to all. Lots to gain over the next 5 years.

6. Fantastic place to learn and grow - amazing coworkers and ability to make an impact

Current Employee - Tech Lead in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Tech Lead in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I work on the product team so my experience is definitely shaped by that part of the company.

- The people here are really fantastic. Super smart and very friendly. Having been at early stage startups previously it is wonderful to have a deep bench of people to learn from -- whether about engineering, product design, growing a product, etc. If you want to start your own startup someday, this is a fantastic launching pad.

- While marketing/sales software doesn't immediately sound thrilling to some, HubSpot is way more customer focused than most software companies and really engages with them. Even as an engineer you can have a lot of interactions with customers in direct feedback, user testing, Inbound, etc. They are truly appreciative of the work that goes into building the product.

- The company doesn't rest on its laurels, and that is true about launching new products, settling for outdated technology or anything else. It is fast-paced and always look to improve.

- The culture is very oriented about learning and growth. The product team structure gives employees meaningful responsibility early and coaching along the way. It is well-suited to people who really want to grow/learn (which can sometimes mean operating outside of your comfort zone).

- The management team is smart and overall the company is really good at course-correcting when something doesn't work out. It has a very experiment-driven culture and will double-down when it works, and try again when it doesn't.

- It is far from perfect but it is an organization that comes closer to truly living its values than most. And strives to do better over time.

Cons

- The environment puts a lot of responsibility on people's shoulders. People get to choose their own level of engagement. It is definitely not required to work heavy hours, but some do. Similar some people opt-out of most cultural/fun outing (and that is fine) but others have a lot of friends at work. There isn't a single answer to how much people work.

- A lot of focus is put on the small teams which can mean things feel a little chaotic. There isn't always an obvious central plan and so requires talking across teams and engaging with communities to make sure teams stay appropriately in sync.

Keep the focus on serving SMB customers and on "solving for the customer".

World-class product, world-class culture

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time

Pros

Before joining HubSpot, I had very high expectations for the people, product, and culture. All of my expectations have either been met or exceeded. I work with extremely talented, intelligent, and motivated people that individually produce more than entire teams at other companies that I have interacted with. Beyond that, I have not yet encountered an instance of ego or political domination. The company is very open minded and receptive to criticism and innovation. Considering how large HubSpot is, it's also a very flat organization. For example, I sit just a couple desks away from Brian Halligan (CEO). He uses the same desk furniture as everyone else and because he sits out in the open, he and all of the execs at HubSpot are extremely accessible. I have an immediate team of 3 people and I correspond with 8-10 people on a daily basis. This allows me to have true autonomy and influence over my work. We are building a legitimately world-class product and it feels awesome to be a part of that. The energy at HubSpot is extremely positive; the company is doing well and you can feel it. On my first day, I was immediately given all of the tools that I needed to complete my work (regardless of cost). HubSpot believes in enabling you to do what you do best by giving you access to everything that you need. All of the culture-related promises are true. There are no designated work hours (at least for my role), unlimited vacation, the office is incredible, free food is everywhere (and beer / wine), there are dozens of events every week that the company pays for, you name it. Working at HubSpot is challenging in the best ways possible. I have never grown so much, so quickly in my life. I go home happy every day and I wake up ready to get after it again.

Cons

HubSpot maintains a very fast-paced, results-oriented (read: "work hard, play hard") environment. They're very diligent about recognizing high performers and the criteria surrounding recognition is totally pure (it isn't political). This is great when you're the one being recognized, but it also places a lot of social pressure on the people in the audience, thus creating a subculture of competition where you may always be chasing after that next "quick win". A byproduct of this is a high level of self-motivation and team-driven motivation. While I personally have noticed my work-life balance improve, I do feel that some people may work too much, and it may be a result of this aspect of the environment. If you generally don't like your job or you don't enjoy "taking your work home with you", you probably won't fit in. For example, many HubSpotters are friends or roommates with each other outside of work. Beyond that, if you don't produce legitimate results or you don't know what you're talking about, people will call you on it. This is only a con for a certain portion of the working population though.

8. Great Boston Tech Company with numerous opportunities to grow!

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Culture, unlimited vacation, flexible hours, ability to work from home one day a week, new gym, yummy snacks, very good health plan, brilliant group of motivated peers and transparency at all levels

Cons

Because HubSpot is such a large company with so much flexibility it can take a few months to feel like you get a hang of how things operate and get to know people.

Nothing yet!

9. An enjoyable, rewarding, and educational co-op experience (that you cannot find anywhere else)

Current Intern - Software Engineer Co-Op in Cambridge, MA
    Current Intern - Software Engineer Co-Op in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

HubSpot is at the pinnacle of growth and culture. As a current student working at HubSpot, I have been blown away by every facet. Never before have I joined an organization that was so motivated, fun, and enjoyable to work with. I truly believe, already, that we are family. Although I am a student, I have an equal amount of opportunity to impact the customer. In addition, there is a handful of key attributes that I love about HubSpot. The merit-based and frequent promotions. No rules; just use good judgment. Any amenity to empower you. The drive to better yourself, your peers, and your customers. Physically bettering the marketing industry and small businesses directly. Transparency as clear as it gets. Given this, I have learned more in the last few months than ever previously. I cannot recommend HubSpot to students or full-time employees enough. I am not working; I am on a challenging, but extremely enjoyable and rewarding ride that has provided me with an experience looking forward to each and every day. Smiling.

Cons

I cannot think of much, truly. As HubSpot continues to skyrocket, growth pains can be felt, but that is actively being dissipated as much as possible.

Keep on keeping on. Truly, this is a remarkable place. Never lose sight of what is, and an absolutely honest thank you for nurturing such a fantastic family.

10. Great culture, remarkable people, great products, and amazing career growth opportunities. HubSpot has it ALL.

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Hubspot

Pros

There are so many pros to working here it's hard to know where to start.

At the company level, our executive leadership is truly a dream team that anyone would be proud to work for and with. They make excellent decisions, have an outstanding forward thinking vision, and genuinely care about the people they have working for them. And to see the openly walking the floors interacting with everyone is always great to experience.

Our culture is everything you read about and is why people come on here with such positives reviews. People often times make decisions based on how something will effect the culture here and that speaks a lot. As we grow, keeping the culture consistently positive becomes more and more difficult but HubSpot continues to dedicate more time, people, and investment into it. If anything it appears to get better as we grow and hire more extremely talented people to join the team.

Our solution is amazing and it truly delights our customers. I'll also say the way we treat our customers throughout their experience with HubSpot, especially post sale with the Services team, is truly remarkable. I can say no one cares more about their customers more than we do and our investment in their success is proof of that.

Cons

Many people have talked about work-life balance here at HubSpot. I would be prepared to work very hard when you work here and sometimes that means putting in some extra hours. But the people that do that here want to be here working with their peers and if anything I see people struggle to leave the office because they enjoy the environment so much.

Keep investing in your people, product, and culture we won't let you down. Spend some additional time putting together better career tracks for people to enter into management positions, especially within the sales organization.

Exciting, challenging, rewarding, and humbling.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are incredibly talented, fun to be around, and humble. There are alot of perks to working at HubSpot, but at the end of the day it's a great place to work because of the great people who work there.

Cons

You work with some of the best people in their industry. This means that the expectations are set extremely high, which can be disheartening if you're just starting out your career like I have.

Boston is an insanely expensive city to live in. I think that more could be done to ensure that employees are able to live comfortably.