Hubspot

Hubspot Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Hubspot CEO & Founder Brian Halligan

Brian Halligan

Pros
  • The greatest pro is the chance to work with incredibly smart people (in 14 reviews)

• HubTalks are always a great time and the seemingly unlimited free food in the kitchen is a plus (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • You might lose the good work-life balance, but that could be ok if you are workaholic :) (in 11 reviews)

• No work life balance as a sales rep (IMS), even though the company touts the "unlimited vacation policy" (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to get started

Support Engineer (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsThey will train you better than any other company I know

ConsA bit of a fraternity mentality-- but I think people intentionally work to overcome that. It's a weird dichotomy of being welcomed and feeling un-welcomed. It's probably just me, though. :-)

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much. You're making us feel as good as one can expect from such a large "start-up"

Great place to work

Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat people to work with
    Great perks
    Great environment and company culture
    Innovative

ConsWork-life balance might not be as evident

Best place I've ever worked

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsThe people, the vision, the work.

ConsReally don't have any negative aspects.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Inexperienced management, 50/50 chance for good work/life balance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree snacks and friendly coworkers.

ConsInexperienced managers who became managers by default when sales teams got too big, coupled with the lack of development of those managers led to terrible leadership experiences. Worked 60+ hour weeks for months and got nothing but flak for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at more than the deal pipelines - there's a lot of data that you're overlooking which impacts your employees negatively.

Dynamic Culture and the best of the Boston Tech Scene

Product Marketing (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsThe people HubSpot employs are incredibly intelligent and require you to bring your A-game every day. The learning environment is spectacular and everyone is willing to answer your questions. HubTalks are always a great time and the seemingly unlimited free food in the kitchen is a plus. Just make sure not to OD on candy.

ConsThe fast moving environment can puts a lot of pressure on everyone to perform. This can be stressful at times and it is important to take a step back on occasion.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time formally training your employees and how the product actually works. More interaction between the engineering and business teams.

Talented and passionate team, emphasis on growth and autonomy, clear mission, great customers

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

Prosyou can feel the energy and sense of prupse as soon as you arrive, flexible and comfortable envrionment, lots of personal and professional growth opportunities, an investment in mentoring/coaching, no sacred cows - anything is up for debate/change, competitive salaries, generally lots of transparency

Consthe application of cultural values and investments in employee training are inconsistent across the different teams

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue to invest in the growth of employees, especially front-line leaders

Great team, smart people

ProsSmart coworkers, good company mission, good company culture

ConsEveryone is moving so fast, cross team communication can sometimes break down.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a maniacal focus on the customers!

No work life balance per managements request, it's a pr stunt- don't believe the hype

Inbound Marketing Specialist (Sales) (Current Employee)

ProsFreebies like soda, coffee, beer, junk food, blenders
    We used to get different healthy snacks and more free items like visors or hoodies
    Ability to gain responsibility quickly
    Promotions are lined out based on MRR and retention- you know what to expect
    Uncapped commission
    Great stepping stone

ConsNo work life balance- if you come in at 8:30- 6pm and take lunch you will be labeled a slacker and risk being a subject of gossip. Average hours are 8am-630 lunch at desk working
    Office politics is out of hand
    Most people are rich kids with an Ivy League background and have huge egos
    Being sneaky, stealing leads, opportunities or being shady are qualities that lead to promotions and are rewarded even though mgmt is aware
    Constantly survey us with things like "how likely are you to leave hubspot in the next year" and it's causes drama
    Vacation is a disaster- quota is set so high if you take week off you'll miss your MONTHLY quota, hitting at 80% over three month puts you on plan to get fired
    Managers are incompetent
    Capped base salary recently- some people make over 100k base, now the most you can make is 55k for the same work... Why bother when the person next to you makes double for equal work

Advice to Senior ManagementFire your managers
    Stop trying so hard to get culture pr

Great for some, TERRIBLE for sales people

Inbound Marketing Specialist (Sales) (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

Pros- beer fridge, ping pong tables, unlimited vacation... all the perks new statr-ups brag about

Cons- don't bother thinking any perks apply to you if you're in sales
    - 50-60 + hour weeks
    - lack of training and TONS of micro managing (every call is scripted, and don't you dare go off-script)

Advice to Senior Management- respect your sales people and nurture growth rather than scaring people into following a script or losing their job.
    - address the lack of respect some management have for "regular employees" --> belittling someone in front of peers is not a great management technique

Best place to work on the East Coast

ProsHubSpot offers huge freedom for top performers and an ability to aggressively direct your own career. It also offers mostly well-formed roles that can permit "normal" work-life balance. A lot of that is what you make of it, but the key for me is the abillity to work harder and to get rewarded for it. In all roles, that is highly valued over time, and the growth of the company is reflected in the growth of individuals at all levels.

Also, it's worth noting that as an organization HubSpot admits to not having it all figured out, and actively wants to improve with the help of all of its employees. Again, not for everyone, but if you're into that kind of environment, you can really flourish at HubSpot.

ConsCan be overwhelming at first, but if it's a good fit for you, you'll love it. Understandably, it's not a fit for everyone. Management is a lot better at accommodating different work styles today than it was a year or two ago.

Can also offer mixed signals with recruiting practices (e.g. beer fridge and ping pong) when reality is a hyper-growth, hard-working job. But I think savvy candidates get this.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to work on continuous improvement. Never get complacent - HubSpot has come far because it always pushes, so just don't stop.

Worked for Hubspot? Contribute to the Community!