Hubspot

Updated November 14, 2014
4.4

Hubspot CEO & Founder Brian Halligan
Brian Halligan

Pros
  • The greatest pro is the chance to work with incredibly smart people (in 15 reviews)

• HubTalks are always a great time and the seemingly unlimited free food in the kitchen is a plus (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • You might lose the good work-life balance, but that could be ok if you are workaholic :) (in 11 reviews)

• No work life balance as a sales rep (IMS), even though the company touts the "unlimited vacation policy" (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work environment, great people, excellent flexibility, location, and compensation

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Hubspot as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The greatest thing about Hubspot is how closely they stick to their motto - "Use good judgement". This permeates through everything they do - they leave it completely up to the employees - the hours, the work you do, the time off (unlimited vacations!) Devs have complete control and are expected to deploy to production daily. With such freedom, trust, and flexibility, the motivation to do your best work is extremely high and everyone in the company is driven and passionate about what they do.

Cons

There aren't very many cons when it comes to Hubspot. One thing they lack is a solid feedback and evaluation protocol, so it is difficult to know how well you are doing at any given time on a quantitative scale.

Best learning experience

Current Employee - Inbound Marketing Specialist in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Inbound Marketing Specialist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hubspot is by far the greatest real world education you can get.

You're working with some of the smartest people and no matter what role you're in there is always someone with new ideas on how to improve.

I've worked as a BDR, a VAR BDR and now as a sales rep and I've had all the coaching to help me be successful.

Cons

Not all managers are created equal, though inexperienced managers have been replaced and sales is doing great now.

Its up to you to get the help you need. The sales training never stops but its on you to get it.

It can feel like some people are only out for themselves but, well, that's sales

As the company grows make it very clear what a promotion path looks like

Comp for sales isn't as competitive as it could be, specially giving the fact management reels about how great we are

Inspiring and educational environmental with incredible co-workers.

Current Employee - Marketing in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people who work at HubSpot are the best people to surround yourself with. From Day 1 I was blown away by how smart, forward-thinking, and approachable everyone was. Both entry-level employees and executives with 20-30 years experience always make time to teach others. Everyone is very focused on what they can do to help others in the company succeed.

Cons

As the company has grown it has become harder to move up in your career. That being said, you are still getting more experience than you would if you moved up at another company.

Continue to emphasize the importance of culture as the company grows. Some parts have been lost as a result of the quick growth of the company, but the core elements are still there and are important.

Work hard, play hard...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time (less than an year)

Pros

HubSpot has an unrivaled vibrant and dynamic culture that is at the core of everything they do. Working with incredibly smart, driven, and passionate people who genuinely enjoy being at work, doing what they do is a dream come true.

The HubSpot way is to be constantly improving. From executives to directors to managers, everyone is very open to constructive criticism and feedback. They understand that there is always room to get better and they are willing to do what it takes to get there, and make sure everyone else is along for the ride too.

The benefits are great. The unlimited vacation is real and the added perks are a nice bonus, but the real benefit to working at HubSpot is the caliber of the peers that you have working alongside you. They are scrupulous in their hiring process and make no exceptions for people that won't fit into the culture of the company and the team they are joining and it makes all the difference in the world.

Cons

Expectations are high. Getting started can feel like a bit of a sink or swim situation. And, staying in the office late is the norm. BUT, the interview process is pretty transparent so it really shouldn't come as a surprise.

Well run, growing fast, changing the business world.

Current Employee - Marketing in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast growth creates a lot of opportunities. Well run company with a lot of depth on the management team. Big vision that should carry the company for years to come. Flexible work environment, hours and location. New office space is a big improvement. Very transparent with the management team sharing meeting notes and presentations from the board of directors on an internal wiki.

Cons

If you are lazy and want to work 30 hours a week or play a lot of ping pong in the office, this is not the place for you. HubSpot is a fast paced environment with smart people that work hard.

Keep the growth and excitement going, make sure not to play favorites with some teams or groups.

Fast, fun, growing company

I have been working at Hubspot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work/life balance, real good perks (free food, beer, etc). Company is growing fast so you can have a big impact on the direction it is going. The company seems to be doing amazing, no end in sight.

Cons

Because it is growing so fast there's not a lot of process in place or great communication among teams, but that's what comes with moving fast.

Great company, be wary if you are in sales

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company culture, cool product. Everything HubSpot does is forward thinking and cutting edge. Looking to grow to become the SalesForce of marketing. Great leadership team. Fun and smart people work here!

Cons

Very marketing and services driven company. Sales staff is underpaid and career advancement is below average. The sales organization overall is just okay. If you are a serious sales person, I would look elsewhere. If you are not, this is an excellent company.

Pay your sales staff more. Become more sales-driven in your approach to growth.

A Rare and Exceptional Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time

Pros

Some days I am really struck by how lucky I was to find this job. Sure, there are bad days, days when I'm overworked or irritated with one thing or another, but there's something really special about the vision and culture set by Brian Halligan and Dharmesh Shah and the experience of being here.

We are driven. We love the work. More days than not it's fun to be in the office.

Easy to describe perks:
    - Unlimited Vacation Policy (Need a day. Take a day. No drama.)
    - Awesome office (standing desks, nap room, beer on tap, food, etc)
    - Lots of learning opportunities (HubTalks, Outside Speakers, Coding classes, Speaking practice)
    - Lots of cultural events (parties, ice-cream days, etc)
    - 401K match (somewhat minimal, but still), Good health care, and parental leave policies.

Harder to describe perks:
    - The people: With a few very painful exceptions, this is one of the hardest working, funniest crews I've ever worked with.
    - The founders: People worry about how fast we're growing, what that will mean to the company/the culture. I'm not worried about that for one reason. As we've gotten bigger, I haven't seen the founders less. They've been as engaged in the day to day workings of the business as they were three years ago. They live and breath this company and the people in it. I wish all of the executives were the same. It means a lot to see them at happy hours, sitting in the kitchen and standing in the halls asking new hires how we can do better.
    - The Work: I'm challenged. This stuff isn't easy, and I'm over my head more often than not. But I'm growing and have learned so much by being here.

Cons

We can be indecisive at points. It slows us down. I'd say that's the company's achilles heel. There are also a small handful of people who seem checked out or burnt out. It's a hard decision to leave a company you've loved, but if you're burnt out and it's influencing others it might be time. That's understandable.

Keep the focus and the principles that make us different from competitors. Let's not get too far away from Inbound as a philosophy. It may limit us in the short-term, but it will make us a stronger company in the long-term.

Don't be afraid to let people go and help them find new roles if they're not working out.

Our customers are amazing, we need to do more with our existing customer base.

Smart people, tons of learning opportunities, helpful managers, great place to grow a career.

Current Employee - Marketing in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time (less than an year)

Pros

HubSpot is very good at hiring, which means that everyone who works here is smart, talented, and driven (& on top of that, really fun/interesting people to spend time with). There are also a ton of opportunities to learn & grow your career: training sessions, $5k/year to spend toward continuing your education, Toastmasters for public speaking training, etc. I've found that managers here are genuinely interested in helping you grow your career & specifically don't want to pigeon-hole you in the position they hired you for. The philosophy is that if you're good, they'd rather keep you at the company & move you into a position you're happy about rather than see you get frustrated & leave. Also, the flexible working hours/work-from-home policy is awesome.

Cons

People work really, really hard here, so the pressure is on pretty much all the time. Very much work hard/play hard. It's not for everyone.

Noble mission, but it has normal big company problems

Former Employee - Inbound Marketing Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Inbound Marketing Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Hubspot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a great place to learn a lot about marketing and entrepreneurship, and a fun office environment. There's a lot of autonomy, and as long as you hit your metrics you'll have a long leash, and flexibility. One of the only companies I've come across that truly encourages you to move around between depts. The biggest asset are the people work there. Everyone is super smart, and they're quick to fire employees not working out. It leads to a really top notch organization.

Cons

They hired great start up minds to grow the business, but aren't a start up anymore. So those people are getting bored and leaving, or being forced out. HubSpot has a really noble mission, they're trying to transform the way a modern business operates (with progressive views on vacation, flexible hrs, transparency, etc). However, the mission is different than the reality. They're an 800 person company, and internally they function like one. Lots of red-tape, politics, lack of cooperation between depts, and comp cut-backs were happening when I left.

Stop focusing so much on recruitment and start paying attention to employee churn. The average HubSpot employee gets hit-up by 2-3 recruiters a week for other opportunities. More snacks doesn't mean happier employees. When you slash comp raises by 50%, and don't give employees an avenue to vent, it leads to retention problems.