Hubspot Reviews

165 reviews filtered by
4.7
Hubspot CEO & Founder Brian Halligan
Brian Halligan

Pros
  • The greatest pro is the chance to work with incredibly smart people (in 15 reviews)

• HubTalks are always a great time and the seemingly unlimited free food in the kitchen is a plus (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • You might lose the good work-life balance, but that could be ok if you are workaholic :) (in 11 reviews)

• No work life balance as a sales rep (IMS), even though the company touts the "unlimited vacation policy" (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Career Growth - Joining a Rocketship

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's not really about the beer and ping pong it's about the people you get to work with everyday, training to build skills in sales you get to experience, and the potential for long term career growth that comes from working at a rocket-ship company like this. The sales team is well compensated and offered lots of bonus/contest opportunities throughout the course of the year and ensuring sales people are treated fairly is often top of mind for the executives.

Anyone at any level can take on additional responsibility, step up to solve big problems, and be a part of a extremely transparent culture where you can learn the ins and outs of a SaaS business. Hard to beat that in today's work environment especially in a successful business.

Cons

It's a demanding environment which may not be for everyone, but as hard as it is it's often found to be one of the most fun places to work due to the people and career opportunities.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on scale and the big goals that have been set for the business over the long term. It's great to be a part of a team where decisions are made with big dreams and huge financial goals versus just barely hitting the ball over the fence.

2. Best place to work in Boston

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Outside of the incredible laundry list of benefits, the people make HunSpot. I enjoy everyone I work with which I cannot say about any other company I've worked for.

Cons

I can't think of anything other it's a bit to easy to your work home.

Advice to Management

Let's keep doing what we are doing!

3. Amazing growth experience that doesn't seem to be slowing down

I have been working at Hubspot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smartest people I've ever worked with, I regularly feel like the dumbest person in the room. Culture of autonomy and ownership is without compare. You will have every opportunity to drive your piece of HubSpot's success and you will be recognized for it. You will have amazing opportunities to have an impact every day. All of this in a culture that truly embraces the ideas of its culture code.

Cons

You will work hard. You will be be challenged. Growing and learning is not always smooth sailing. It can be incredibly rewarding. You need to comfortable with ambiguity a lot. You won't be told what to do much of the time. Even if you are the most junior of folks. Ownership and autonomy can be very scary for some that aren't used to the challenge of owning your own decisions and paths.

Advice to Management

In the words of the CEO, don't f*** it up. This place is a rocket ship and its primarily due to the amazing culture. We continue to innovate and push individuals to own their contribution. There is no sign of the current trajectory changing if we can find ways to scale without the burden most companies add when they grow.

5. Stability of a big co with speed, opportunity, and fun greater than most startups.

I have been working at Hubspot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity – Working at HubSpot is entirely what you make it. You are given responsibility and in many positions, a lot of autonomy. Though what you do with them, is entirely up to you. There are few gifts (outside of the kitchen - ChubSpot), most things here are earned. You are expected to hustle, work hard, and solve for the customer. If you do those things, there are few limits.

Transparency - Want to learn how a SaaS product company actually works? You can see all the gory details here. The level of transparency and the willingness of the C-level folks to not shy away from even the toughest questions, but actually engage any and every HubSpotter is truly exceptional.

People – There are so many smart people here who are just really, really good at what they do and entirely willing to share their knowledge.

Benefits - The benefits here are ridiculous and just keep coming: ESPP, 401K match, on site gym (that's small but awesome), paid sabbatical, the use good judgment policy (yes, this is a benefit), free (great) beer, maternity / paternity leave, amazing coffee, solid Blue Cross Blue Shield with deductible coverage, and more free beer on the second floor.

Cons

It is very easy to get caught up in working too much here. The people who really excel, learn how to not thrash, but actually be productive with all that effort, and when they can and should dial it back.

Advice to Management

Stay humble, keep working hard, and lead us. You’ve done a very good job thus far, but we so much to do to truly transform this market, our customers' businesses, and Cambridge / Boston. Or, in Haiku:

Bosses? No, leaders.
    Stay humble, keep working please.
    We’ll follow you far.

Hubspot Response

Apr 23, 2015Founder and CTO

Thanks very much for taking the time to write this review. I'm thrilled you're excited about the opportunities ahead -- we are too.

You get bonus points for the haiku -- especially the "Stay
    ... More

6. Principle Inbound Marketing Specialist (Sales)

I have been working at Hubspot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast growing, awesome talent, unreal culture, upside for career growth, solid management team

Cons

Reducing BDR ratio for sales execs

Great vision, tons of opportunity to grow

Current Employee - Tech Lead in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Tech Lead in Boston, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As an engineer, you get a ton of say in the direction of the product. Your opinions are heard and not discouraged. HubSpot has a culture where "that's not my job" doesn't exist. It's refreshing.

Cons

Through rapid growth, cross-team communication can be difficult at times. It also takes ambitious people do truly excel at HubSpot. Non-go-getters will have a hard time standing out in a sea of talented peers.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, despite potential road blocks when defining product direction. Listen to engineers when concerns creep up so that they don't fester too long.

Hubspot Response

Apr 15, 2015Founder and CTO

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Thrilled that you're happy at HubSpot.

Promise to do our best to continue to provide engineers (and everyone else) autonomy and listen intently when
    ... More

8. HubSpot has a valuable mission and trusts its employees to realize it.

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot

Pros

This company is built on trust. The employees are held responsible to themselves and to the company by their own desire to succeed and help create inbound experiences for consumers everywhere.

Cons

HubSpot is no longer a start-up. There are niche roles at HubSpot that don't really foster innovation and growth. People are starting to say, "Well that would require time and resources and we'd have to link up with this other team and..."

Advice to Management

Read "Cons." I hear people saying "We can't try X, because we'd have to work with another team and seek additional approval/funding." That scares me a little bit.

9. Amazing opportunities and big challenges

Current Employee - Product Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time

Pros

HubSpot is a great place. It's full of some of the smartest people I've ever met, passionately working together to create an engine that helps our customers transform their businesses. The shared focus creates a pretty special atmosphere, where everyone is pulling in the same direction and having a lot of fun while doing it. There are a bare minimum of policies and bureaucracy, and the entire organization is built on shared tenants of transparency and ownership. There is a huge amount of agency given to every employee, and the result is a culture of getting-shit-done at all levels of the organization.

Overall, it's a fantastic place to be!

Cons

It's not really a con, but HubSpot is not a 9-5 sort of place -- but that just means that everyone you work with is crazy good at what they do. If you are looking to coast it's not gonna work out, but if you are ready for a challenge then you can do great things here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Don't let the IPO change us too much, figure out how to scale our culture with the company, and DFIU.

10. Unique company, poised to do great things

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot

Pros

I'm learning every day here and I've been here for several years. The culture continues to grow more dynamic and interesting as the company grows. There are bad days, sure, but in general I feel really lucky to have the role that I have and work with the people I do. Founders are exceptional. One of the best places to be a marketer because you have the freedom to try new things and you really push yourself.

Cons

Things move quickly and change often. If you aren't comfortable with change it may cause you some friction. We've got a few bad eggs in management, but the majority of management is really strong.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing us not to settle.

Trusted leadership team who cares about your development.

Current Employee - Channel Account Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Channel Account Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HubSpot's training is top-notch, both their inbound marketing training as well as their on-going sales coaching. From a lead perspective, HubSpot generates 50K to 60K leads per month which means no cold-calling for the VAR Channel Account Managers. Further, their marketing team creates really great, helpful content which people love, so 99% of the calls you have are with people who already love the brand and product. The managers really care about your development and don't micro-manage. They let you run your own business. They put an emphasis and teaching, coaching, and learning. Further, they pay very well. I went from making $55K/year at my last sales job to $184K in my first year with HubSpot.

Cons

The most difficult part of the job is time-management. There are a lot of unqualified leads that come through and it's your job to disqualify prospects who are not going to make good re-sellers. You must quickly assess if HubSpot's Partner Program can help them or not, if not, you must break up with them. In your first year as a VAR Channel account manager, you must work very hard to set yourself up for year 2. This means long hours at the office for your first 6-9 months. However, the payoff is worth the wait.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.