Hubspot Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014

4.3

Hubspot CEO & Founder Brian Halligan
Brian Halligan

Pros
  • The greatest pro is the chance to work with incredibly smart people (in 14 reviews)

• HubTalks are always a great time and the seemingly unlimited free food in the kitchen is a plus (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • You might lose the good work-life balance, but that could be ok if you are workaholic :) (in 11 reviews)

• No work life balance as a sales rep (IMS), even though the company touts the "unlimited vacation policy" (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Noble mission, but it has normal big company problems

Former Employee - Inbound Marketing Consultant  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Inbound Marketing Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Hubspot full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a great place to learn a lot about marketing and entrepreneurship, and a fun office environment. There's a lot of autonomy, and as long as you hit your metrics you'll have a long leash, and flexibility. One of the only companies I've come across that truly encourages you to move around between depts. The biggest asset are the people work there. Everyone is super smart, and they're quick to fire employees not working out. It leads to a really top notch organization.

Cons

They hired great start up minds to grow the business, but aren't a start up anymore. So those people are getting bored and leaving, or being forced out. HubSpot has a really noble mission, they're trying to transform the way a modern business operates (with progressive views on vacation, flexible hrs, transparency, etc). However, the mission is different than the reality. They're an 800 person company, and internally they function like one. Lots of red-tape, politics, lack of cooperation between depts, and comp cut-backs were happening when I left.

Stop focusing so much on recruitment and start paying attention to employee churn. The average HubSpot employee gets hit-up by 2-3 recruiters a week for other opportunities. More snacks doesn't mean happier employees. When you slash comp raises by 50%, and don't give employees an avenue to vent, it leads to retention problems.

A Rare and Exceptional Company

I have been working at Hubspot full-time

Pros

Some days I am really struck by how lucky I was to find this job. Sure, there are bad days, days when I'm overworked or irritated with one thing or another, but there's something really special about the vision and culture set by Brian Halligan and Dharmesh Shah and the experience of being here.

We are driven. We love the work. More days than not it's fun to be in the office.

Easy to describe perks:
    - Unlimited Vacation Policy (Need a day. Take a day. No drama.)
    - Awesome office (standing desks, nap room, beer on tap, food, etc)
    - Lots of learning opportunities (HubTalks, Outside Speakers, Coding classes, Speaking practice)
    - Lots of cultural events (parties, ice-cream days, etc)
    - 401K match (somewhat minimal, but still), Good health care, and parental leave policies.

Harder to describe perks:
    - The people: With a few very painful exceptions, this is one of the hardest working, funniest crews I've ever worked with.
    - The founders: People worry about how fast we're growing, what that will mean to the company/the culture. I'm not worried about that for one reason. As we've gotten bigger, I haven't seen the founders less. They've been as engaged in the day to day workings of the business as they were three years ago. They live and breath this company and the people in it. I wish all of the executives were the same. It means a lot to see them at happy hours, sitting in the kitchen and standing in the halls asking new hires how we can do better.
    - The Work: I'm challenged. This stuff isn't easy, and I'm over my head more often than not. But I'm growing and have learned so much by being here.

Cons

We can be indecisive at points. It slows us down. I'd say that's the company's achilles heel. There are also a small handful of people who seem checked out or burnt out. It's a hard decision to leave a company you've loved, but if you're burnt out and it's influencing others it might be time. That's understandable.

Keep the focus and the principles that make us different from competitors. Let's not get too far away from Inbound as a philosophy. It may limit us in the short-term, but it will make us a stronger company in the long-term.

Don't be afraid to let people go and help them find new roles if they're not working out.

Our customers are amazing, we need to do more with our existing customer base.

Smart people, tons of learning opportunities, helpful managers, great place to grow a career.

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time for less than a year

Pros

HubSpot is very good at hiring, which means that everyone who works here is smart, talented, and driven (& on top of that, really fun/interesting people to spend time with). There are also a ton of opportunities to learn & grow your career: training sessions, $5k/year to spend toward continuing your education, Toastmasters for public speaking training, etc. I've found that managers here are genuinely interested in helping you grow your career & specifically don't want to pigeon-hole you in the position they hired you for. The philosophy is that if you're good, they'd rather keep you at the company & move you into a position you're happy about rather than see you get frustrated & leave. Also, the flexible working hours/work-from-home policy is awesome.

Cons

People work really, really hard here, so the pressure is on pretty much all the time. Very much work hard/play hard. It's not for everyone.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to get started

Current Employee - Support Engineer  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time for less than a year

Pros

They will train you better than any other company I know

Cons

A bit of a fraternity mentality-- but I think people intentionally work to overcome that. It's a weird dichotomy of being welcomed and feeling un-welcomed. It's probably just me, though. :-)

Not much. You're making us feel as good as one can expect from such a large "start-up"

Great place to work

Former Employee - Marketing Intern  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Hubspot as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great people to work with
    Great perks
    Great environment and company culture
    Innovative

Cons

Work-life balance might not be as evident

Best place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people, the vision, the work.

Cons

Really don't have any negative aspects.

Inexperienced management, 50/50 chance for good work/life balance

I worked at Hubspot full-time

Pros

Free snacks and friendly coworkers.

Cons

Inexperienced managers who became managers by default when sales teams got too big, coupled with the lack of development of those managers led to terrible leadership experiences. Worked 60+ hour weeks for months and got nothing but flak for it.

Look at more than the deal pipelines - there's a lot of data that you're overlooking which impacts your employees negatively.

Dynamic Culture and the best of the Boston Tech Scene

Current Employee - Product Marketing  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The people HubSpot employs are incredibly intelligent and require you to bring your A-game every day. The learning environment is spectacular and everyone is willing to answer your questions. HubTalks are always a great time and the seemingly unlimited free food in the kitchen is a plus. Just make sure not to OD on candy.

Cons

The fast moving environment can puts a lot of pressure on everyone to perform. This can be stressful at times and it is important to take a step back on occasion.

Spend more time formally training your employees and how the product actually works. More interaction between the engineering and business teams.

Talented and passionate team, emphasis on growth and autonomy, clear mission, great customers

I have been working at Hubspot full-time

Pros

you can feel the energy and sense of prupse as soon as you arrive, flexible and comfortable envrionment, lots of personal and professional growth opportunities, an investment in mentoring/coaching, no sacred cows - anything is up for debate/change, competitive salaries, generally lots of transparency

Cons

the application of cultural values and investments in employee training are inconsistent across the different teams

continue to invest in the growth of employees, especially front-line leaders

No work life balance per managements request, it's a pr stunt- don't believe the hype

Current Employee - Inbound Marketing Specialist (Sales)
    Current Employee - Inbound Marketing Specialist (Sales)

I have been working at Hubspot full-time

Pros

Freebies like soda, coffee, beer, junk food, blenders
    We used to get different healthy snacks and more free items like visors or hoodies
    Ability to gain responsibility quickly
    Promotions are lined out based on MRR and retention- you know what to expect
    Uncapped commission
    Great stepping stone

Cons

No work life balance- if you come in at 8:30- 6pm and take lunch you will be labeled a slacker and risk being a subject of gossip. Average hours are 8am-630 lunch at desk working
    Office politics is out of hand
    Most people are rich kids with an Ivy League background and have huge egos
    Being sneaky, stealing leads, opportunities or being shady are qualities that lead to promotions and are rewarded even though mgmt is aware
    Constantly survey us with things like "how likely are you to leave hubspot in the next year" and it's causes drama
    Vacation is a disaster- quota is set so high if you take week off you'll miss your MONTHLY quota, hitting at 80% over three month puts you on plan to get fired
    Managers are incompetent
    Capped base salary recently- some people make over 100k base, now the most you can make is 55k for the same work... Why bother when the person next to you makes double for equal work

Fire your managers
    Stop trying so hard to get culture pr

Worked for Hubspot? Contribute to the Community!