Hubspot Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014

4.2

Hubspot CEO & Founder Brian Halligan
Brian Halligan

Pros
  • The greatest pro is the chance to work with incredibly smart people (in 14 reviews)

• HubTalks are always a great time and the seemingly unlimited free food in the kitchen is a plus (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • You might lose the good work-life balance, but that could be ok if you are workaholic :) (in 11 reviews)

• No work life balance as a sales rep (IMS), even though the company touts the "unlimited vacation policy" (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Smart people, tons of learning opportunities, helpful managers, great place to grow a career.

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time for less than a year

Pros

HubSpot is very good at hiring, which means that everyone who works here is smart, talented, and driven (& on top of that, really fun/interesting people to spend time with). There are also a ton of opportunities to learn & grow your career: training sessions, $5k/year to spend toward continuing your education, Toastmasters for public speaking training, etc. I've found that managers here are genuinely interested in helping you grow your career & specifically don't want to pigeon-hole you in the position they hired you for. The philosophy is that if you're good, they'd rather keep you at the company & move you into a position you're happy about rather than see you get frustrated & leave. Also, the flexible working hours/work-from-home policy is awesome.

Cons

People work really, really hard here, so the pressure is on pretty much all the time. Very much work hard/play hard. It's not for everyone.

A Rare and Exceptional Company

I have been working at Hubspot full-time

Pros

Some days I am really struck by how lucky I was to find this job. Sure, there are bad days, days when I'm overworked or irritated with one thing or another, but there's something really special about the vision and culture set by Brian Halligan and Dharmesh Shah and the experience of being here.

We are driven. We love the work. More days than not it's fun to be in the office.

Easy to describe perks:
    - Unlimited Vacation Policy (Need a day. Take a day. No drama.)
    - Awesome office (standing desks, nap room, beer on tap, food, etc)
    - Lots of learning opportunities (HubTalks, Outside Speakers, Coding classes, Speaking practice)
    - Lots of cultural events (parties, ice-cream days, etc)
    - 401K match (somewhat minimal, but still), Good health care, and parental leave policies.

Harder to describe perks:
    - The people: With a few very painful exceptions, this is one of the hardest working, funniest crews I've ever worked with.
    - The founders: People worry about how fast we're growing, what that will mean to the company/the culture. I'm not worried about that for one reason. As we've gotten bigger, I haven't seen the founders less. They've been as engaged in the day to day workings of the business as they were three years ago. They live and breath this company and the people in it. I wish all of the executives were the same. It means a lot to see them at happy hours, sitting in the kitchen and standing in the halls asking new hires how we can do better.
    - The Work: I'm challenged. This stuff isn't easy, and I'm over my head more often than not. But I'm growing and have learned so much by being here.

Cons

We can be indecisive at points. It slows us down. I'd say that's the company's achilles heel. There are also a small handful of people who seem checked out or burnt out. It's a hard decision to leave a company you've loved, but if you're burnt out and it's influencing others it might be time. That's understandable.

Keep the focus and the principles that make us different from competitors. Let's not get too far away from Inbound as a philosophy. It may limit us in the short-term, but it will make us a stronger company in the long-term.

Don't be afraid to let people go and help them find new roles if they're not working out.

Our customers are amazing, we need to do more with our existing customer base.

Great place to get started

Current Employee - Support Engineer  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time for less than a year

Pros

They will train you better than any other company I know

Cons

A bit of a fraternity mentality-- but I think people intentionally work to overcome that. It's a weird dichotomy of being welcomed and feeling un-welcomed. It's probably just me, though. :-)

Not much. You're making us feel as good as one can expect from such a large "start-up"

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people, the vision, the work.

Cons

Really don't have any negative aspects.

Awesome Team

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Cairo (Egypt)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cairo (Egypt)

I have been working at Hubspot as a contractor for more than 8 years

Pros

Great culture, the team is awesome and very energetic. If you are a keen learner, there is always chance to learn something new.

Cons

Talented and passionate team, emphasis on growth and autonomy, clear mission, great customers

I have been working at Hubspot full-time

Pros

you can feel the energy and sense of prupse as soon as you arrive, flexible and comfortable envrionment, lots of personal and professional growth opportunities, an investment in mentoring/coaching, no sacred cows - anything is up for debate/change, competitive salaries, generally lots of transparency

Cons

the application of cultural values and investments in employee training are inconsistent across the different teams

continue to invest in the growth of employees, especially front-line leaders

Dynamic Culture and the best of the Boston Tech Scene

Current Employee - Product Marketing  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The people HubSpot employs are incredibly intelligent and require you to bring your A-game every day. The learning environment is spectacular and everyone is willing to answer your questions. HubTalks are always a great time and the seemingly unlimited free food in the kitchen is a plus. Just make sure not to OD on candy.

Cons

The fast moving environment can puts a lot of pressure on everyone to perform. This can be stressful at times and it is important to take a step back on occasion.

Spend more time formally training your employees and how the product actually works. More interaction between the engineering and business teams.

Great team, smart people

I have been working at Hubspot full-time

Pros

Smart coworkers, good company mission, good company culture

Cons

Everyone is moving so fast, cross team communication can sometimes break down.

Keep a maniacal focus on the customers!

Best place to work on the East Coast

I have been working at Hubspot full-time

Pros

HubSpot offers huge freedom for top performers and an ability to aggressively direct your own career. It also offers mostly well-formed roles that can permit "normal" work-life balance. A lot of that is what you make of it, but the key for me is the abillity to work harder and to get rewarded for it. In all roles, that is highly valued over time, and the growth of the company is reflected in the growth of individuals at all levels.

Also, it's worth noting that as an organization HubSpot admits to not having it all figured out, and actively wants to improve with the help of all of its employees. Again, not for everyone, but if you're into that kind of environment, you can really flourish at HubSpot.

Cons

Can be overwhelming at first, but if it's a good fit for you, you'll love it. Understandably, it's not a fit for everyone. Management is a lot better at accommodating different work styles today than it was a year or two ago.

Can also offer mixed signals with recruiting practices (e.g. beer fridge and ping pong) when reality is a hyper-growth, hard-working job. But I think savvy candidates get this.

Continue to work on continuous improvement. Never get complacent - HubSpot has come far because it always pushes, so just don't stop.

Built a career in sales and sales management

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Hubspot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Rapidly growing company in a rapidly growing space: provided opportunities to earn more $ and more responsibility each year I've been here.

Cons

Fast moving. Fast changing. Need to stay focused on your numbers while things are constantly changing around you.

Stay focused on key initiatives for longer periods of time.

Worked for Hubspot? Contribute to the Community!