Huddle
www.huddle.com San Francisco, CA 150 to 499 Employees

Huddle Reviews

Updated Jun 25, 2014

Alastair Mitchell

Feels like it's a good place to be. Learning lots.

Account Manager (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsSupportive structure. Have learnt a lot from the senior management team. I feel that people care about my success. Everyone knows who you are and you're not just a number. I know what I need to do to get my next promotion.

ConsIt's hard work! That can be rewarding, but it still means you’ve got to push yourself to succeed. Also, there were a couple of people here that were very negative because they weren't hitting their quotas. That worried me at first, until I learnt to ignore them.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't put up with the negativity. If people are like that, they shouldn't be here. Morale improved as soon as they left.

Great place to work!

ProsThis is a company with a great team atmosphere in a fast pace environment. The people who work here are extremely dedicated and senior management is easily accessible. The benefits are great. They provide ample time-off and allow you to take it.

ConsBecause it is an international company, you have to become accustomed to dealing with different time zone and some days may start fairly early.

Go Big or Go Home!

San Francisco, CA

ProsAfter working at Huddle for 6 months I feel I have found my home away from home. Just like every growing family, the office has it's ups and downs, but it's core remains rooted in an unparalleled entrepreneurial spirit. If you are willing to GO BIG and work hard, Huddle will help you achieve success.

ConsAll of the delicious snacks in the kitchen area are doing nothing for my figure

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication down the line. More "fireside" chats :-)

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Go big or go home? Just go home, please.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice office that is now empty, so plenty of space to stretch out? Good people throughout the company.

Cons-Half of sales has quit or been fired since the fall.
    -Product feels like a throwback to 1999 and is far behind all of the competition. Development unable to deliver important go to market updates.
    -Marketing unable to deliver clear message. Messaging has changed frequently and with no positive results.
    -Leadership team is a complete joke. You can find them prancing around the office
    with a false sense of accomplishment which is entertaining to watch, but alarming when you realize they are driving the company they somehow built into the ground.
    - No company culture (due to the misery). Enjoy the compulsory out of office & after hour events where you purchase your own drinks!
    - Pay is below market rate
    - Nepotism is the name of the game. Better be British or in the Inner Circle here or you'll find yourself getting the short end of the stick.

Advice to Senior ManagementBoard would be wise to make some changes and hire some new talent on the senior management team that are hungry and looking to do more than just collect a paycheck.

Worst company I have ever worked for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLocation is central to the city. Lots of vacation time which you can actually use.

ConsHuddle is in real trouble. A large percentage of the sales team have been fired, laid off or quit in the last 8 weeks. Shrinking sales numbers, shrinking sales team and a dated/ broken product all spell trouble for the company.The management team does nothing to improve the situation as it is composed of outside hires who are are inexperienced and do not know the first thing about penetrating the USA market, many of whom manage from London.

Executives are simply out of touch with reality or the market that Huddle is part of. Awkward and uninspiring monthly meetings with Execs will act as source of entertainment and horror. Employees have no confidence in the leadership. No real changes are made to correct issues with the software, which has been basically unchanged for the past year. And has caused the sales team to lose the majority of opportunities that comes their way.

Don't take my word though. See for yourself. Advice to applicants: take out the free trial of the software and see if you want to sell, market, or support Huddle. That should help you make an informed decision more than any review.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll of you need a reality check. Come back down to earth and act with some humility rather than undeserving arrogance. Value anyone silly enough to stick with the company during the downtime. As it is now you'll be left with very few employees if things continue on as they have.

Slow death

ProsGreat people sprinkled around the company
    Fun London location

ConsTerrible, arrogant leadership
    Strategy is poor and even worse, it takes a long time to implement
    Technology is antiquated. Built on a house of cards
    Innovation is missing from the company
    Complete lack of transparency, backstabbing and bureaucracy you'd expect to see in a 30 year old 60k person company.
    Overpaid and over-leveraged executive staff

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should sell as soon as possible.

Career Mistake

San Francisco, CA

ProsHuddle does have a cool office that is close to public transportation and the downtown area, you can also take strolls and lunch in Yerba Buena Park. Outside of that, there is very little.

ConsThere are no words that describe the horror of this place. As others have mentioned, there is no real company culture here, the pay is INCREDIBLY low (look elsewhere sales), employees are all unhappy and looking for other jobs, and the software itself is an embarrassment to have your name attached to. Management is terrible and incompetent and do nothing to improve morale. I have since left Huddle and thank God every day that I am no longer there. Seriously. It's that bad.

Great people and great offices but some big negatives

San Francisco, CA

ProsThe staff are great - intelligent, fun, sociable and (for the most part) dedicated.
    The office space is also great, plus you get some fun perks such as free beer, lunches, and quarterly company sponsored social events.
    Some upward mobility, and rapidly, if you are liked by the right people.

ConsHuge disparity between the 'co-headquarters' - a real case of the left hand having no idea what the right hand is doing.
    If you aren't drinking the Coolaid you may not fit in with the culture.
    For a collaboration company there is a large top-down hierarchy, management aren't overly receptive to ideas from the ground floor.
    Very aggressive hire and fire policy, most of the staff live in fear of their jobs and a good proportion are actively searching, which doesn't lend a feeling of permanency to the place.
    Morale was very low during the time I was there, but they were working to improve that.
    Low pay compared to the market, and hard work due to the need to be seen overachieving in the eyes of the Execs.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorry less about having cool toys in the office and more about your staff.

Sinking Ship

ProsCool office complete with pool table, dartboard & smart and talented employees

ConsUnrealistic expectations for all departments which has resulted in firings and lay offs. Everyone is underpaid, overworked and generally fearful for their job. Not surprisingly Huddle has failed once before in the United States, when they came over from the UK 2 years ago, and it appears that they are well on their way to failing for a second time.

The product is absolutely terrible and does not work. Good luck marketing, selling or supporting this abortion of technology. Do yourself a favor before accepting a job here: really have a think on if you believe a half-baked British product is going to be able to compete against Box, SharePoint, Dropbox and a handful of other more established vendors. No? I didn't think so. Keep moving.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop self congratulating yourselves on this software and start trying to fix the problems in marketing and product development. You have an obligation to all the employees you hired and brought over from the UK to make Huddle a success in the USA.

Flag Review
    Huddle Head of Resourcing responded to this review Aug 6, 2013 EditDelete
    We’re shocked and disappointed with this review. We note that you’re a current employee but have no idea who you could be, as your comments are so different to what we hear every day. Please do speak ... More

Smart people working very hard. Strong relationships inside and outside of work like I have never seen.

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsNew offices in central San Francisco. Comfy chairs and neat desks
    Lots of British people which never gets old, good networking
    Good access to the senior management and founders
    Exciting space to be in and a responsive market
    Hire very well in sales, smart and professional and fun. No idiots!

ConsNo budget for personal technology
    Mobile phone contract is not covered
    Finance and engineering in the UK which is difficult at times given the time difference

Worked for Huddle? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Huddle reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Huddle CEO Alastair Mitchell. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Huddle employees.