Huddle

Updated November 5, 2014
Updated November 5, 2014
3.9

Alastair Mitchell

Massive learning experience, smart and friendly people, fantastic environment, great perks.

I have been working at Huddle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love this company. I joined four years ago, straight out of University. I turned down opportunities at large engineering and technology companies and bet on this a growing British startup with a pair of charismatic co-founders. It was a good decision.

They have really looked after me:
    - The company has tripled in head count since I joined, and 6x since I first met Alastair.
    - I've worked in many roles across the business
    - I've been consistently rewarded and recognised for good work
    - I have a great line manager, who's given me sufficient autonomy and purpose to get things done while offering enough advice to prevent me cocking anything up (to badly).
    - I've enjoyed perks like share options, the Huddle Cuddle (a lifestyle bonus), free Huddle lunch on Wednesday, Huddle breakfast every day, travel to San Fransisco for work, health insurance and dental, half price gym membership, free cinema tickets, and a decent amount of holiday.
    - Socials are great too - we have one for the whole company every quarter - Huddleween is next up, then the Christmas party. We also go out for drinks and food on the company every time we have a major release - i.e. monthly.
    - You're celebrated every year with a "huddle birthday", providing extra perks depending on the time you've been at Huddle. This year I received £300 of amazon vouchers.
    - The senior management are available and approachable. I have learned from all of them, past and present.

We hire smart people, who are friendly. This means you'll be challenged, but not intimidated.

Cons

It's a startup who occasionally has got to obsessed with big company stuff. Things that are eventually important, but can stifle startup people from doing great work. This comes in waves, but eventually people realise and ditch crappy process.

Internal politics can mean it takes a while to fix a bad decision. Particularly when it's about people not product. I assume this is normal but I've not worked elsewhere for very long.

It's a small company, so generally it has to grow for you to get promoted into a management position. Luckily it's growing fast.

You can work very hard (and late) here, and might even love doing so. Particularly if you are regularly talking to the San Fransisco and DC offices.

I give my views in confidence. I think we have the right people on the job.

Best company I have ever worked for

Former Employee - Senior Developer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Huddle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The Product Engineering team is smart and overall outstanding, with very strong collaboration between product design, UX, development, testing, and tech ops. Everyone is very friendly and has a sincere desire to produce the best product possible. Developers are given a lot of opportunities to develop their skills and interests. Huddle gives developers 2 days every 2 weeks to work on whatever they want - be it learning a new technology/language or working on a side project or product feature that interests them. It also has a yearly "Hackathon" where cross disciplinary teams compete to develop something innovative and exciting over 3 days. These things show that Huddle understands the importance of fostering the personal development and creativity of its Product Engineering team. Benefits, salaries, and promotion opportunities are excellent. Overall, Huddle has been the best company I've ever worked for (and I've worked for lots). My only regret is that I had to leave my job because I am moving overseas!

Cons

There is somewhat of a cultural divide between the company's Product Engineering and Sales teams - sometimes it felt like 2 different companies operating out of the same office.

Bright people making smart decisions. Present and future is looking increasingly bright.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Huddle full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Management is accessible, enthusiastic, and direct.
    - A true team environment, structurally and attitudinally.
    - Excellent office vibe - folks are happy here.
    - Location, location, location.
    - We use our own product every day, so it's easy to sell.
    - Excellent vacation policy.

Cons

- The company had to go through some growing pains, which they've done gracefully.
    - This is a critically important time for the firm - this is neither a pro nor con, but the next two years are going to be the most important in the firm's history.

Keep focused.

An exciting, nurturing and friendly workplace

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer

I have been working at Huddle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Talented and friendly colleagues.

The way we do agile makes you feel like we're all very much on the same boat, so much so that after my first 18 months I decided to take a (permanent?) break from being a developer and become a QA. Have been a QA now for 4 months and am loving it.

You learn a lot here, no matter what role you're in.

Some other things I like, not related to doing actual work: Free Wednesday lunch, lots of benefits, healthcare, free breakfast, management transparency, 20% innovation time, group activities, game room, good location, sunny roof patio (sunshine not guaranteed, this is London after all) and the jukebox culture.

I really don't see myself going anywhere else for several years to come.

Cons

None. Perks are great, office culture is the best I've ever experienced, there is plenty of room to grow etc.

We need a better coffee machine (doesn't everyone though?)

Loads to learn, so much to do!

Current Employee - Product Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Huddle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get to work with people that are not only smart and competent, but also fun and a good laugh. There a nice range of ages, with a few grads taken on every year. The work is interesting and challenging. You're sure to find role models and people to mentor you.
    Success is recognized and rewarded. There is budget for things like conferences and training as well as an annual hackathon.
    Senior management is very approachable and happy to answer questions or take time to explain things.
    The games room has an xbox, pool table, ping pong table and darts to help you chillax. No one cares if you take time to go in there as long as you get the work done.
    The benefits package is just ridiculous:
    £5000 joining bonus (for grads, not sure about other positions), huddle cuddle - get yourself a £500 gift every year, 25 days off, your birthday off, celebratory krispy kremes, champagne to celebrate your first huddle anniversary, share options, quarterly bonus, Thursday drinking club, cheese club, art club, fitness club, free cinema ticket every week, discounted gym membership, free lunch on Wednesday, free breakfast on Monday, Tuesday Time (as a dev you get to work on your own projects on Tuesday), Beer o'Clock on Friday, HUGE Xmas party and release drinks on Huddle every month.

Cons

Legacy code and technical debt makes progress seem slow.
    There isn't any budget for a company phone or laptop.
    If you're looking for a silent place to code, Huddle isn't for you (open plan office, people talking and laughing + jukebox music).
    As we expand it's sometimes confusing to see so many new faces.

Exciting!

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Huddle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great being part of building this company. Definitely feels like more than just another job but more like we are creating something meaningful.

Offices in UK and across the US gives plenty of opps to move around.

Young and fun place to work and the food not too bad either!

Cons

Too much change and it would be good to have a more structured career plan

Listen to the troops more and take some time to chill.......we all know its exciting but calm down a bit

Excellent, agile, dynamic company to work for!

I have been working at Huddle full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance, colleagues are great to work with. You can settle in the organization in no time.

Cons

Work hard, play harder! - you learn a lot in the process

A job that gets me up in the morning

I have been working at Huddle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a warm and friendly atmosphere, easy to get work done with minimal politics. Growing up from its start-up values, but in a nice way. People want to get on, produce professional work and deliver features, but make sure they have fun on the way.

Cons

Product/sales direction change quite often, and software engineering choices suffer as a result. There's a fair amount of tech debt, and it seems harder in Microsoft stack to move forward.

Keep up the good work in growing Huddle in a pragmatic way, keep it focused and the teams working hard together. Don't add paperwork and process where it isn't needed.

It is more than just a job

I have been working at Huddle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are not only brilliant at their jobs but they are great fun to work with, the opportunities for growth and progression are there for the taking, the share options mean that everyone will benefits from the success of huddle, being a huddler is more than just a job!

Cons

Huddle breakfasts and lunches mean more time needed in the gym!

Continue to hire amazingly talented people who are passionate about doing great work and have a fun time doing it.

Proud to be a Huddler

I have been working at Huddle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Amazingly talented people, a product that you can get behind, big company results with a small company feel. Great perks over and above the standard "benefits package"

Cons

Keeping pace with everyone's desire and ability to enhance the product!

As we're growing, don't be distracted from doing all the little personal things that make this place unique. #keepitinhuddle