Huddle

Updated November 5, 2014
3.9

Alastair Mitchell

Slow death

I have been working at Huddle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people sprinkled around the company
    Fun London location

Cons

Terrible, arrogant leadership
    Strategy is poor and even worse, it takes a long time to implement
    Technology is antiquated. Built on a house of cards
    Innovation is missing from the company
    Complete lack of transparency, backstabbing and bureaucracy you'd expect to see in a 30 year old 60k person company.
    Overpaid and over-leveraged executive staff

You should sell as soon as possible.

Career Mistake

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Huddle part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Huddle does have a cool office that is close to public transportation and the downtown area, you can also take strolls and lunch in Yerba Buena Park. Outside of that, there is very little.

Cons

There are no words that describe the horror of this place. As others have mentioned, there is no real company culture here, the pay is INCREDIBLY low (look elsewhere sales), employees are all unhappy and looking for other jobs, and the software itself is an embarrassment to have your name attached to. Management is terrible and incompetent and do nothing to improve morale. I have since left Huddle and thank God every day that I am no longer there. Seriously. It's that bad.

Great people and great offices but some big negatives

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Huddle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The staff are great - intelligent, fun, sociable and (for the most part) dedicated.
    The office space is also great, plus you get some fun perks such as free beer, lunches, and quarterly company sponsored social events.
    Some upward mobility, and rapidly, if you are liked by the right people.

Cons

Huge disparity between the 'co-headquarters' - a real case of the left hand having no idea what the right hand is doing.
    If you aren't drinking the Coolaid you may not fit in with the culture.
    For a collaboration company there is a large top-down hierarchy, management aren't overly receptive to ideas from the ground floor.
    Very aggressive hire and fire policy, most of the staff live in fear of their jobs and a good proportion are actively searching, which doesn't lend a feeling of permanency to the place.
    Morale was very low during the time I was there, but they were working to improve that.
    Low pay compared to the market, and hard work due to the need to be seen overachieving in the eyes of the Execs.

Worry less about having cool toys in the office and more about your staff.

Smart people working very hard. Strong relationships inside and outside of work like I have never seen.

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Huddle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

New offices in central San Francisco. Comfy chairs and neat desks
    Lots of British people which never gets old, good networking
    Good access to the senior management and founders
    Exciting space to be in and a responsive market
    Hire very well in sales, smart and professional and fun. No idiots!

Cons

No budget for personal technology
    Mobile phone contract is not covered
    Finance and engineering in the UK which is difficult at times given the time difference

Sinking Ship

I have been working at Huddle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cool office complete with pool table, dartboard & smart and talented employees

Cons

Unrealistic expectations for all departments which has resulted in firings and lay offs. Everyone is underpaid, overworked and generally fearful for their job. Not surprisingly Huddle has failed once before in the United States, when they came over from the UK 2 years ago, and it appears that they are well on their way to failing for a second time.

The product is absolutely terrible and does not work. Good luck marketing, selling or supporting this abortion of technology. Do yourself a favor before accepting a job here: really have a think on if you believe a half-baked British product is going to be able to compete against Box, SharePoint, Dropbox and a handful of other more established vendors. No? I didn't think so. Keep moving.

Stop self congratulating yourselves on this software and start trying to fix the problems in marketing and product development. You have an obligation to all the employees you hired and brought over from the UK to make Huddle a success in the USA.

Huddle Response

Aug 6, 2013Head of Resourcing

We’re shocked and disappointed with this review. We note that you’re a current employee but have no idea who you could be, as your comments are so different to what we hear every day. Please do speak ... More

Cloud based content & collaboration - Great space to be in & *Great* company to be a part of!

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Huddle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Super hi-energy, enthusiastic company. It's a work environment that requires you to deliver at your highest potential and then some - exhausting & challenging, but highly rewarding! Excellent prospects for swift -as deserved - career progression! The market for cloud based content & collaboration solutions is expanding very rapidly! Senior mgmt is highly available to all employees & customers. They genuinely care about the detail of their people & operations.

Cons

This is still a small up & coming company that has not yet made it to the big leagues. With that comes all of the fast-paced, turn on a dime requirements and potential for unplanned changes.

Stay focused on the nuts & bolts of what customer's need.

Great people, great business and great culture.

Current Employee - Business Development in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Huddle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is made up of great people - intelligent, hard working and a lot of fun. The offices reflect the culture - they're bright, open and foster collaboration. And the perks are good - lots of free food and drinks, fun nights out, generous vacation days and healthcare provided.

Cons

Working across three timezones can be tough, so Californians can expect early morning meeting during the working week.

Keeping the culture open and fun (whilst fostering hard work and success!) will be key.

Amazing place

I have been working at Huddle (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, fantastic teams and a solid product that is making huge waves in the industry. Sales are going through the roof with lots of big deals. Senior Management are all perfect in their roles and the company is still hiring to fuel strong growth plans.

Cons

3 global offices makes it more of a challenge to communicate wiwth colleagues, but with new video conferencing technology this is becoming easier.

Keep up the great work!

Massive learning experience, smart and friendly people, fantastic environment, great perks.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Huddle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love this company. I joined four years ago, straight out of University. I turned down opportunities at large engineering and technology companies and bet on this a growing British startup with a pair of charismatic co-founders. It was a good decision.

They have really looked after me:
    - The company has tripled in head count since I joined, and 6x since I first met Alastair.
    - I've worked in many roles across the business
    - I've been consistently rewarded and recognised for good work
    - I have a great line manager, who's given me sufficient autonomy and purpose to get things done while offering enough advice to prevent me cocking anything up (to badly).
    - I've enjoyed perks like share options, the Huddle Cuddle (a lifestyle bonus), free Huddle lunch on Wednesday, Huddle breakfast every day, travel to San Fransisco for work, health insurance and dental, half price gym membership, free cinema tickets, and a decent amount of holiday.
    - Socials are great too - we have one for the whole company every quarter - Huddleween is next up, then the Christmas party. We also go out for drinks and food on the company every time we have a major release - i.e. monthly.
    - You're celebrated every year with a "huddle birthday", providing extra perks depending on the time you've been at Huddle. This year I received £300 of amazon vouchers.
    - The senior management are available and approachable. I have learned from all of them, past and present.

We hire smart people, who are friendly. This means you'll be challenged, but not intimidated.

Cons

It's a startup who occasionally has got to obsessed with big company stuff. Things that are eventually important, but can stifle startup people from doing great work. This comes in waves, but eventually people realise and ditch crappy process.

Internal politics can mean it takes a while to fix a bad decision. Particularly when it's about people not product. I assume this is normal but I've not worked elsewhere for very long.

It's a small company, so generally it has to grow for you to get promoted into a management position. Luckily it's growing fast.

You can work very hard (and late) here, and might even love doing so. Particularly if you are regularly talking to the San Fransisco and DC offices.

I give my views in confidence. I think we have the right people on the job.

Best company I have ever worked for

Former Employee - Senior Developer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Huddle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Product Engineering team is smart and overall outstanding, with very strong collaboration between product design, UX, development, testing, and tech ops. Everyone is very friendly and has a sincere desire to produce the best product possible. Developers are given a lot of opportunities to develop their skills and interests. Huddle gives developers 2 days every 2 weeks to work on whatever they want - be it learning a new technology/language or working on a side project or product feature that interests them. It also has a yearly "Hackathon" where cross disciplinary teams compete to develop something innovative and exciting over 3 days. These things show that Huddle understands the importance of fostering the personal development and creativity of its Product Engineering team. Benefits, salaries, and promotion opportunities are excellent. Overall, Huddle has been the best company I've ever worked for (and I've worked for lots). My only regret is that I had to leave my job because I am moving overseas!

Cons

There is somewhat of a cultural divide between the company's Product Engineering and Sales teams - sometimes it felt like 2 different companies operating out of the same office.